lbaldwin-47

2017 Acadia As A Toad

In looking at the owner's manual for the 2017 Acadia (newly downsized from the 2016)) the manual states that it can be towed and all that has to be done is do 'depress' the little button on the shift level under the boot.  No longer have to disconnect batteries OR fuses?  Well, at least according to the manual.

We are looking at buying a new 2017 Acadia - Not the 2017 Acadia limited which is on the old body style.

Has anybody else bought one and had it set up for towing - and if so what did you use?

I already have the Roadmaster tow bar but like the looks of the 'tabs' on the blue ox much better.

Have been towing a 2000 Blazer using Roadmaster towbar with blue ox base plate and a Roadmaster evenbrake for supplemental braking.

Would plan on using a battery charge line kit as many a time have a dead battery in Blazer is of 'limited' fun.

Open to any works of wisdom and what other people are using.

Thanks,

Lee Baldwin

Lee,

Welcome to the Forum.

Have you checked with the tow bar manufacturers to see if they make base plates for the 2017 Acadia? I would check with Roadmaster first. Since you already have their bar it would be an easy hook up. Roadmaster, Blue Ox and Remco, to mention a few, make adapters that will mate one tow bar to another type of base plates. 

Good luck, let us know how it works out.

Herman

I have a 2017 Acadia set up to dinghy tow.  I was surprised it was so easy to tow.  No fuses to pull.  We had to install a grommet in the shift boot to allow easy access to insert a rod to press the shifter release.  Once you do that while the car is shut off and shift to neutral, it is ready to tow.  If you do not install a grommet, you would have to pop off the shifter boot each time. 

Our Acadia was the first out of Roadmaster for the 2017 model year and they confirmed this is proper for flat towing.

Following as we just purchased a 2017 Acadia All Terrain for dinghy tow.  We need to invest in an entire system as this will be a first for us.  We are looking for a system that will be easy for me [wife, traveling solo] to hook up/ unhook.  What do others use?  Blue Ox? Demco? or Roadmaster?  What brake and lighting system do you use?  Anyone have experience with the RVi portable braking system?  All suggestions and ideas welcomed.  Or email me direct....jfarrell51  @ yahoo

Thanks in advance.

Julie

We have a 2017 Acadia front wheel drive.  Roadmaster installed the system for us and we are happy with it.  The tow bar stays on the motorhome when disconnected from the car.  We are adding brake control before this summer and we are looking at the Air Force One controller that is installed permanently in the car and controlled by the air from the coach.  Roadmaster also has their own electric permanently installed system.

The car was wired so the vehicle lights operate while plugged into the coach and the car battery is also slowly changed.

Install the grommet in the shift boot.  It will make prepping the car to tow much easier and not potentially scratch up the console if you have to remove the boot each time.

Bill

We've been towing our 2012 Acadia for four summers now, close to 50,000 miles with no problems.  No dead battery, well once I left the key in the wrong position when we stopped overnight and I had to get something from the toad  My fault.  Hooked it to the charger and we were on our way in an hour.  We don't use a battery charge line.  See other details below. 

From descriptions above, the newer ones are easier to tow than ours.  We have to pull fuses and start and run the engine for a period of time each morning and occasionally when stopping during the day for an extended period of time.  We have our toad wired directly to the coach so the taillights and signals are just a matter of inserting a plug.  It's a total Roadmaster system, base plate, tow bar, supplemental braking system runs off the coach air brakes.

I am interested in the new 2017 Acadia as a tow car.  Would appreciate an update from the two 2017 Acadia owners above on their experience with towing the Acadia.  Is it really as easy as the manual says.  

Thanks in advance.

Ross Kuykendall

F409333

1999 Monaco Signature, Cummins M11

We are going to be replacing our 2012 Jeep JK Wrangler and considering the 2017 Acadia.  I will be following this post.  Can someone share a picture of the grommet on the shift boot please?

Just got my 2017 Acadia and in the process of getting it ready to flat tow. I'll share a few of the issues I had so far. Must be the 3.6 engine, cigarette lighter power outlet in front is only part time, so need to run a outlet direct to battery if you use a supplemental braking system( I have the RVi2) for it.

Not hard to do I used the hood release hole in firewall to run cigarette lighter cable and breakaway cord and installed a rubber grommet around all three, tight fit but got it done.

I was going to install bulbs in the rear taillights for brake and turn signal but found out their is no room to drill hole in reflector to do so. Then decided to wire the toad lights to the RV, sounds easy in the Etrailer video but found out also need to hook a relay to my brake switch under the dash.

I did not feel like ripping my dash apart. So I went with some magnetic stick on lights in the back, not my first choice but seems the safe way to do it.

I popped the boot off the shifter and just decided to leave it loose in the back part. you don't need a screwdriver to release the shifter you can reach in with your finger and hold the white plastic piece up to free it. If you do use a supplemental braking system you need to get the kit to keep the unit from sliding back too far. The Acadia uses a gentle slope for the front seat so when the braking system is used it slides up.

Other than needing a 4 inch drop receiver hitch adapter I think that all I have done so far.

IMG_1343.JPG

IMG_1344.JPG

IMG_1345.JPG

fullsizeoutput_1ac2.jpeg

IMG_1348.JPG

IMG_1349.JPG

IMG_1350.JPG

IMG_1351.JPG

IMG_1352.JPG

"found out also need to hook a relay to my brake switch under the dash."  If you are hooking the car lights to the RV why would you need to do this? The RV lights will activate the brake lights. You shouldn't need any input from the car. I would use diodes to prevent back feeding but that is pretty straightforward.

I would have had the dealer set it up as part of the deal. I did it on my 2014 CRV. It came to me ready to hook up and go.

Bill

Does the 2017 Acadia register miles when being towed??  My 2003 Jeep Liberty does not register mileage.  Also, has anybody had a drastic side-to-side wobble because of the electric steering on the 2017 Acadia?

5 hours ago, billlaatz said:

Does the 2017 Acadia register miles when being towed??  My 2003 Jeep Liberty does not register mileage.  Also, has anybody had a drastic side-to-side wobble because of the electric steering on the 2017 Acadia?

Welcome to the forum. No it does not register miles when being towed.

Bill

How do you like the 2017 Acadia as a drive car and as a tow car???  Glad to hear that towed mileage is not recorded.  Is there any problem with the battery discharge when using a BlueOx Patriot brake?  The manual does not indicate any fuses need to be pulled - is this true?  Also, has anybody had a drastic side-to-side wobble because of the electric steering on the 2017 Acadia?

On 12/15/2016 at 6:06 PM, beschmidtke said:

I have a 2017 Acadia set up to dinghy tow.  I was surprised it was so easy to tow.  No fuses to pull.  We had to install a grommet in the shift boot to allow easy access to insert a rod to press the shifter release.  Once you do that while the car is shut off and shift to neutral, it is ready to tow.  If you do not install a grommet, you would have to pop off the shifter boot each time. 

Our Acadia was the first out of Roadmaster for the 2017 model year and they confirmed this is proper for flat towing.

Sounds like the Cadillac SRX. They have been real easy to set up to toad. Unfortunately the new XT5 is not towable!!!!

Does the 2017 have a speed limit.  Our 2012 has a 65 MPH towing speed limit.  That was one bug I missed before we purchased.  The Trailblazer we had before had no speed limit while towed.  Having to stay below a certain speed is a constant irritation when driving in hills and on mountain roads.  Truckers hate me going down long slopes at 65!

Tom,

My 2013 Lincoln also has a 65 mph rating but when i'm on cruise and going down a short steep grade and it goes up to 70 or 73 I just let it go and at the bottom come back to cruise.  I also will jump up to over 70 to pass someone when safe to do so on a country road if they are going to slow.  I have not had an detrimental effects.  That's just me and everyone has to do what they are comfortable with.

Has anyone every found out why the 65 limit is so predominant in TOADS?

It just may be a way for manufacturers to dissuade folks from towing their vehicles.

They may have also figured that at or below that speed to clutches and disc can stay lubed.

Too fast may heat up the fluid too much with out circulation through the cooler.

Herman