ccmsm

Broke Bulb

The light over the stove in the hood went out and when I took the cover off it was broken. All thats left now is the metal screw in part. I can feel inside it with my bare finger but I can't get it to turn at all. It's a very small opening and I can't actually see inside it. Any suggestions?         ccmsm

Been there done that.

Turn off switches. Use a pair of needle nose pliers.  With the pliers closed stick the nose into the socket. Use both hands and spread the nose open and twist.

Other way is to use pliers and just grab the lip of the metal screw in part and bend it inward. do this until you can get a grip on it and twist.

That's my way.

2 hours ago, Wayne77590 said:

Been there done that.

Turn off switches. Use a pair of needle nose pliers.  With the pliers closed stick the nose into the socket. Use both hands and spread the nose open and twist.

Other way is to use pliers and just grab the lip of the metal screw in part and bend it inward. do this until you can get a grip on it and twist.

That's my way.

Thats exactly how we do it in our shop.

You can remove a broken light bulb with a potato. All you have to do is shove the potato into the bulb and turn it counter clock wise. You might try cutting a potato down and shoving it into the bulb. You might also try, with the power off, putting the end of a screw driver in the bulb and give it a couple of taps with a small hammer and then see if it might turn. the potato will only work if the bulb will turn and isn't stuck.

If neither of these work, give the DW a head mounted flash light to wear when when cooking.:rolleyes: Might work of at least one half of a second before she tell you where to go. But that wont be an issue, there are enough of us here that know the way by heart.:wub:

Herman  

Wayne you're idea sounds good but the bulb is in a recessed area in the hood under the microwave. I only have a 2 1/2 inch opening to work with. Next time my wife leaves I might try to find her tweezers and see if that will work. If that doesn't work and if she is still gone I will try Herman's idea:D. She wants me to call our local mobile tech to get it out but he charges over $100 an hour. I have a new bulb so that would make that little light very expensive. Thanks for all your suggestions.    ccmsm

I was going to tell you about the potato but I got beaten out!  There are likely a number of different materials that could be used so just keep the general concept in mind and shove something in there that is firm but somewhat malleable.  Twist and the housing will come out.

By the way cc, if you use the potato it might not hurt to throw that potato away afterwords. :o 

Another idea. Go to your local hardware store and see if you can get a small cork. A small tapered one that will fit into the broken bulbs socket. I think you should be able to find one made of rubber.

Herman

A small piece of rubber garden hose over a wooden dowel, leave the dowel about 3/8 inch back from the end of the hose, put a small hose clamp on the opposite end of the contraption. Press the protruding hose end into the light socket applying pressure against it. Of course as others have mentioned, be sure the power is turned off on the fixture. Small correction, garden style hose is probably to large to press into the base of the bulb, a short length of rubber fuel hose the correct external diameter can be  acquired from an auto parts store will work well. Just remember that the bayonet style base requires a push against it to release. If it doesn't come out easily after release and there is not enough room to get needle nose pliers into the area, a vacuum cleaner with the hose reduced to a small enough diameter can be used to help the base out of the confinement.

15 hours ago, ccmsm said:

Wayne you're idea sounds good but the bulb is in a recessed area in the hood under the microwave. I only have a 2 1/2 inch opening to work with. Next time my wife leaves I might try to find her tweezers and see if that will work. If that doesn't work and if she is still gone I will try Herman's idea:D. She wants me to call our local mobile tech to get it out but he charges over $100 an hour. I have a new bulb so that would make that little light very expensive. Thanks for all your suggestions.    ccmsm

Some of those vent hood light fixtures are just held up there with spring clips. Grasping the outside edges and pulling down will lower the fixture and then squeezing the springs in will release it from the hood and it will dangle by the wires.  This would give you more room to work if your fixtures are held in that way.

Your welcome cc. Now be sure and put the cork in your tool box. Now you can tell everyone that you SAW THE LIGHT.:rolleyes:

Bill is right, why do you ever reseal a wine bottle. Just invite friends over to help finish it off. Or heck just share it with the DW, who knows it might just make both your day.:wub: She can now make dinner and see what she is is cooking,                       What else did you think I was talking about?:huh: 

Herman