michaelhillhouse

ABS Filter Warning Light

I have a 2003 Dutch Star with a Spartan Chassis , Had it stored for about a month and when I started her this morning the ABS Filter warning light came on . What do I need to do to correct this and where is the filter located ?

Is the warning light for an ABS Filter or for the Antilock Brake System?  An ABS filter is made of ABS plastic material and used to eliminate odor from a standpipe, etc.  If the warning light is on the dash, it might be for the Antilock Brake System.

18 minutes ago, wigginsjsr said:

Is the warning light for an ABS Filter or for the Antilock Brake System?  An ABS filter is made of ABS plastic material and used to eliminate odor from a standpipe, etc.  If the warning light is on the dash, it might be for the Antilock Brake System.

It's for the Brake System just don't know where to start

My experience with the ABS lamp lite indicated a malfunction of the anti lock brakes.soooo if you are into a panic type stopping situation your brakes won't assist you with the pulsing action on a panic type apply.

You will have to take it to a repair center to access what ever code is being set and deal with it accordingly. The good news is that it will not be a factor while driving unless you do find yourself in a panic brake apply situation.

Ours came on a few years back and ended up being the right side front wheel speed sensor. $170. Bucks later we are good.

Hope this will help!

Here is a set of wiring diagrams. They are for a 04 but should be pretty close.

http://www.spartanchassis.com/cps/login/UploadedFiles/0155-GG7 2004.75 NEWMAR DUTCH STAR WITH 03 ISL 370 VGT 021104_12720061005597748750.pdf

I would start by checking all the conections. Sometimes these faults clear after driving for a while. Your brakes should work just fine but won't have the ABS feature.

Let us know what you find.

Bill

2 hours ago, WILDEBILL308 said:

Here is a set of wiring diagrams. They are for a 04 but should be pretty close.

http://www.spartanchassis.com/cps/login/UploadedFiles/0155-GG7 2004.75 NEWMAR DUTCH STAR WITH 03 ISL 370 VGT 021104_12720061005597748750.pdf

I would start by checking all the conections. Sometimes these faults clear after driving for a while. Your brakes should work just fine but won't have the ABS feature.

Let us know what you find.Bill

Bill ,

I think this  happened before when after sitting for a month at the body shop I pulled it forward pressing the brake several times ,the system reset itself . I am going to try that and see what happens will keep you informed

The ABS light (nothing to do with any filter on the system-- there isn't one) can be triggered by a number of different things.  One of the more common is that a wheel sensor has excessive gap to the tone ring, rust, etc.

So, even before taking it in for diagnostics, if you do any of your own work, may be worth pulling each wheel sensor and cleaning it.  On the ABS system on our 2003, only tool needed is a pair of pliers.

2 hours ago, wolfe10 said:

The ABS light (nothing to do with any filter on the system) can be triggered by a number of different things.  One of the more common is that a wheel sensor has excessive gap to the tone ring, rust, etc.

So, even before taking it in for diagnostics, if you do any of your own work, may be worth pulling each wheel sensor and cleaning it.  On the ABS system on our 2003, only tool needed is a pair of pliers.

Thanks Brett ,

What the light says ABS FLT which I assumed it was a filter . Of course you know what Assume means . Maybe one day I'll learn

Upon Further Review as they say, I am inclined to say the FLT is just an (weird) abbreviation for Fault.B)

You said it did it before after sitting for a while so take it for a road trip and see if it clears. May just need some exercise.

Bill