rpbuttery

Motorhome Air Compressor

The air compressor on my 2011 Allegro Open Road RED struggles to air the tires up above 95 PSI--maximum 100 PSI--even though both air pressure gauges show pressure in excess of 137 pounds.

My RV tech says this is normal; that I'll have to go to a truck stop to find an air compressor with the capacity to air above that.

Any differing thoughts?

Your coach's air compressor is not a constant 137...it decreases as air is used and doesn't start again until at a pressure much lower than the air pressure you're trying to establish in your tires.  You need to cycle the compressor to keep it above the desired tire pressure.  If you go to RVGEEKS website, they have a very good video on this issue and offer a viable solution to the problem for little money.  Personally, I prefer using a portable air compressor and chose to use the  ViAir RV 12v compressor.

Agree....and volume is lower.  I have a Craftsman pancake 120v compressor that I keep in the basement.  It's rated at 150 psi.....works okay in a pinch but not nearly as well as it the large compressor in the garage.

Blake

I have used the engine air compressor for airing tires and not had a problem.  If you are just adjusting the pressure you are only going a few pounds.  I have powered my 3/4 inch air wrench and changed a tire on the wheel and aired up a 22.5 tire with mine, on the side of the road.  The compressor doesn't take long to build up pressure.  Its also nice clean dry air.

4 minutes ago, desertdeals69 said:

I have used the engine air compressor for airing tires and not had a problem.  If you are just adjusting the pressure you are only going a few pounds.  I have powered my 3/4 inch air wrench and changed a tire on the wheel and aired up a 22.5 tire with mine, on the side of the road.  The compressor doesn't take long to build up pressure.  Its also nice clean dry air.

It certainly can be done...as long as one is aware of the way the compressor cycles and at what pressures.  

137 PSI for CUT-OUT PSI is on the high side.  Please confirm with your chassis maker.  It is easily adjusted (adjusting the air governor). Even a brand new one is under $25.

I use the on-board compressor all the time up to 110 psi. Like what has been stated, it needs to cycle.  I have an inline gauge to my line for adding air so I can see when the on-board has dropped below my optimum tire pressure. I just stop inflating and wait for the "Pssht" on the over flow (or watch the gauge) and when it is back up to 125 psi I continue inflating.  Keeps my storage space less full for DW's trinkets.

Deflation is so much easier.  If any one needs instructions, let me know.

Used truck air compressors for years. Now that I have a dependable source of 120vac. I carry a small compressor bought at Home Depot. Six gallon Porter with adjustable pressure up to 150psi. Not much over $100 if memory serves. Air chuck I use is the same style used at tire shops; push it on the valve stem and angle it downward. Stays on by itself. Much easier than using the engine compressor in my estimation.

19 hours ago, obedb said:

Used truck air compressors for years. Now that I have a dependable source of 120vac. I carry a small compressor bought at Home Depot. Six gallon Porter with adjustable pressure up to 150psi. Not much over $100 if memory serves. Air chuck I use is the same style used at tire shops; push it on the valve stem and angle it downward. Stays on by itself. Much easier than using the engine compressor in my estimation.

Same here, got tired fooling with the on board air.  Got my Porter Cable at Lowes for $99:

https://www.lowes.com/pd/PORTER-CABLE-0-8-HP-6-Gallon-150-PSI-120-Volt-Pancake-Electric-Air-Compressor/4764588?cm_mmc=SCE_BINGPLA_ONLY-_-ToolsAndHardware-_-CompressorsDiyAndStationary-_-4764588:PORTER-CABLE&CAWELAID=&kpid=4764588&CAGPSPN=pla{ifdyn:dyn}&k_clickID=ddcbd120-0072-4ad7-8835-0f4746260905

One other suggestion. Don't use cheap plastic hose. Spend a little extra for quality rubber hose. Much easier to use and recoil, especially on cold mornings. I use a 25 foot section, because it is easy to relocate the compressor plugged in with an extension cord.

As Brett said,  137 is high, I am wondering if your gauges are not off . If the onboard compressor has not come on, you will not be able to inflate your tires...here is a link for a handy little tool, parts can be bought at any big box store like Lowes etc, except for maybe the inflator itself.

http://sv-jedi.smugmug.com/Projects/Mot ... 205-XL.jpg