Sf49erfan

Fire Hazard: Leaking Fuel Pump

I have a Cummins 525 hp ISX engine in a 2006 Monaco Executive.  The coach is in the shop due to a breakdown.  I was told the problem was I needed a new hydraulic fan motor- which I had to get from salvage yard because Monaco/Roadmaster doesn't have any, otherwise a 4 month wait.

Anyhow, the shop called yesterday to say Hey, your fuel transfer pump is leaking and also needs to be replaced, it's leaking onto the starter and is a fire hazard.  

Gonna be $1600 for the part. Is this something that needs to be done now?  Will it really catch on fire? Unsure of how long it has been going on.  

Can we finish our drive from TX to WA and have it dealt with in WA?  Is it something that someone who isn't mechanically inclined able to do? Sorry for so many questions.  

Now to this motorhome stuff and am beginning to wonder if we got a lemon, seems we have one issue after another.

Tracey

Tracey,

Welcome to the Forum. Where are you in Texas? What repair shop are you in? Contact Colaws RV Salvage in Carthage, MO I will send you a message just as soon as I get their number. By some chance do you have the part number for the fan motor.

Herman 

hermannmullins

The coach was towed to Lodestar Truck Group/Corley Wetsel Freightliner shop in Abilene, TX.  I don't really need salvage info, I have already found the hydraulic fan motor from Visone Salvage.  Colaw didn't have one.  My question is regarding the fuel transfer pump:

Your fuel transfer pump is leaking and also needs to be replaced, it's leaking onto the starter and is a fire hazard.  Gonna be $1600 for the part. Is this something that needs to be done now?  Will it really catch on fire? Unsure of how long it has been going on.  Can we finish our drive from TX to WA and have it dealt with in WA?  Is it something that someone who isn't mechanically inclined able to do? Sorry for so many questions.  Now to this motorhome stuff and am beginning to wonder if we got a lemon, seems we have one issue after another.

Thanks,

Tracey

Tracey,

If you are really asking if it is safe for diesel fuel to be leaking onto a high amp electrical "spark producer", I hope/suspect you already know the answer-- it is NOT.

Even if it were not a fire hazard, you could ruin the paint on your toad and back of coach coating it in diesel fuel.

Check with Air Dog to see if they have a transfer pump that will work.  I got a complete transfer pump and dual filter assembly for my Cummins ISB 275 for $550 and they had the pump only for $250.

Tracey,

Desertdeals mentioned Air Dog and a second option might be a FASS fuel pump and or one of there complete fuel systems. A replacement pump with the proper power connector to connect directly to the existing connection will reduce some of the labor time. A mounting kit maybe required for an aftermarket pump also. 

Note, check with the replacement suppliers on the current requirements of a lift pump replacement. They both make a pump that will function well if used to replace the OEM unit. The High Pressure pumps require around 30 amp supply and the OEM / ECM's often have a 20 amp maximum current. The pump power is supplied from ECM.

So have the repair center check with Cummins regarding the maximum current the ECM on your engine can supply!  A  relay and fuse can be added to the Chassis circuit to cover a high current pumps power requirements.

Rich.

On 12/17/2016 at 10:43 AM, sf49erfan said:

...Gonna be $1600 for the part. Is this something that needs to be done now?  Will it really catch on fire? Unsure of how long it has been going on.  

Can we finish our drive from TX to WA and have it dealt with in WA?  Is it something that someone who isn't mechanically inclined able to do? ...

Cost, time, drive, and who will fix it are all irrelevant...if it catches on fire!  Get it fixed.  I've landed an airplane on fire...you don't want to be driving and have the MH catch fire.

Can't imagine being in a plane that is on fire.:(

If a motor home is on fire at 60 MPH it doesn't take much to stop and get out. Not to easy to pull over and get out of a plane at 5,000 feet.

I have jumped from a plane, but it was by desire not necessity.  

Herman

$1600.00 seems a bit steep for just the part. Since its there, leaking, potential fire hazard or further damage to the fuel system if not fixed, I would ask them to show you, if its really leaking I would have it fixed. Given the situation, it sounds like you really don't have a choice that sounds it will end on a positive note.