jeff753

July Indianapolis Rally Info??

Usually, information for the next international convention is released at or just following the current convention. I believe that the convention in INDIANAPOLIS will start on July 12th and departure will be July 16th. All the buildings used by FMCA are air conditioned, so don't be concerned about July heat in Indiana. 

That makes it very difficult to plan our journeys and negatively impacts rally attendance.   Everyone I know, myself included, are already deep into summer planning.  By the time it is publicly announced people's plans have been made. I did find a mention of the dates https://www.fmca.com/conventions-64/future-dates.html inside the password protected FMCA site but no information is available to potential new members outside the password protected sites. 

3 hours ago, jeff753 said:

That makes it very difficult to plan our journeys and negatively impacts rally attendance.   Everyone I know, myself included, are already deep into summer planning.  By the time it is publicly announced people's plans have been made. I did find a mention of the dates https://www.fmca.com/conventions-64/future-dates.html inside the password protected FMCA site but no information is available to potential new members outside the password protected sites. 

I agree with Jeff that most people especially us have already set there plans all the way into fall. We knew the approximate date for Indy, so it's in our tentative plan, but lack of at least some data and dates makes people uneasy in making their plan. 

The information you seek is indeed currently available in front of the log-in by clicking "Stay Connected" and then clicking "Rally Calendar." The new home page in front of the log-in is a recent change and it is still being fine tuned to fit the needs of our visitors. There will be additional improvements to this new home page in the near future and one is to also include information on future International Conventions and Area Rallies under the "Events" button.

That stated, the Indianapolis dates have been included in Press Releases to the general public, the Association Calendar of Family Motor Coaching, e-Newsletters, and as mentioned here under Future Dates on FMCA.com (behind the log-in). There has been a lot of interest in both of our 2017 conventions and we have some exciting things planned. So, please join us at Chandler, Arizona, March 7 through 10, and Indianapolis, Indiana, July 12 through 15. 

Best regards,

Chris Lusk, FMCA Director of Events & Commercial Services

This is a copy of the information complete with the link to the news release. 

Indianapolis, Indiana, July 12 through 15, 2017: FMCA's 96th International Convention

FMCA has announced plans for a return visit to the Indiana State Fairgrounds in Indianapolis. FMCA will hold its 96th International Convention in this city known as the “Crossroads of America” July 12 through 15, 2017, and all RV owners are invited. FMCA hosted a very successful convention at the fairgrounds in August 2012 that was attended by some 2,000 families.  Read news release

There is a separate discussion on convention attendance and I just posted a reply there listing some of the interesting things you might like to see on the way to and from the convention.

I have to agree with Tom Butler that on the way to Indy from any direction there are many great trip stops that can be tied into the Indy Rally. See his post on the other forum topic.

However this is why any details for a rally such as Indy need to be communicated as quickly as they are determined. Between FMCA, Good Sam , chapters, the 8 MH'S in our neighborhood etc we attend about 12 rally's/get togethers a year, this makes planning crucial, and I'm sure this was the point of the OP. By this time each year we already have the next year  almost all planned and are starting on the following year in this case 2018.  

I sense that the discussion here has implications to the convention attendance forum going on now. 

9 hours ago, ChrisLusk said:

The information you seek is indeed currently available in front of the log-in by clicking "Stay Connected" and then clicking "Rally Calendar." ..."

Best regards,

Chris Lusk, FMCA Director of Events & Commercial Services

I was looking for an "apparent link".   I've asked people to go to FMCA.com and sign up for Indy in July.  They told me they couldn't find it. I would not have guessed the first step would be to click on a link called "Stay Connected"???

Maybe you want to sell Chandler before posting Indy??  If so, I think that drastically hurts your Indy attendance.  I know we like to book some state parks in the summer and we need to do that 6 months in advance.  We are booking June stays now. 

Just some feedback....do with it what you will. 

Not just an apparent link but an actual invitation. How about Come Visit us or Meet us @ for the button name? Still goes to the same place but fairly intuitive.

"Stay Connected" says to me "we want your contact information." Bleh. you and everybody else.

Again, it's not that what you say is wrong but its not friendly, inviting or inclusive.  

On December 19, 2016 at 8:49 PM, billandlise said:

Not just an apparent link but an actual invitation. How about Come Visit us or Meet us @ for the button name? Still goes to the same place but fairly intuitive.

"Stay Connected" says to me "we want your contact information." Bleh. you and everybody else.

Again, it's not that what you say is wrong but its not friendly, inviting or inclusive.  

What he said;)

What date are the different categories scheduled to arrive and depart for the Indy Rally July 12-16

Such as generator parking, family electric and Gov board/committee members?

We are booking our state parks and if you don't get some if them 6 months in advance to the day you don't get the site you want.  That means we are booking July 9 tomorrow morning.  

What date does the holding area open up?

Also is the first timers meeting on July 11th at 4pm?

thanks

Jeff, Happy 2017.

The dates are different than it was in Redmond, Madison or West Springfield.  The dates for when to be there?  Are the same...Example:  Gov Board, minimum day before opening to Public, since the meeting start before the gates open up!  Look at last years schedule...

Carl

On 1/11/2017 at 3:10 AM, manholt said:

Jeff, Happy 2017.

The dates are different than it was in Redmond, Madison or West Springfield.  The dates for when to be there?  Are the same...Example:  Gov Board, minimum day before opening to Public, since the meeting start before the gates open up!  Look at last years schedule...

Carl

I think this is part of the problem communicating dates for arrivals.  People that have been to a few rallies (governing board etc) know the typical days coaches come in such as mahogany row, governing board, generator only, family electric etc.  Many others do not. 

At the upcoming Chandler Rally of 2400 coaches over 800 have never attended a National Rally. 

So what are the arrival dates for Indy for Generator only and Family Electric?  What day and time is the first timer orientation for Indy?  People ask me and I can't find it so I doubt they can either. 

Jeff.  I'm terrible sorry!  I have tried to help you, but nick picky is something I just don't understand...so, let's do one Rally at a time. OK? 

From the First FMCA annual rally, that I attended, some 40 years ago, to now...I have never had a problem with any of your issues...I was a Newbie also!

Carl

On 3/4/2017 at 9:42 AM, manholt said:

Jeff.  I'm terrible sorry!  I have tried to help you, but nick picky is something I just don't understand...so, let's do one Rally at a time. OK? 

From the First FMCA annual rally, that I attended, some 40 years ago, to now...I have never had a problem with any of your issues...I was a Newbie also!

Carl

Carl

I know electronic media is very difficult to communicate with vs a human conversation.  Electronic media is often mus-construed. 

I think you missed my point.  Here at Chandler there are about 2200 coaches (about 400 too many but that's another issue).  Of those 2200 over 800 have never been to a national rally.  They don't know what the schedule was a Redmond or any other rally. 

Let's look at Chandler.  The published dates are March 7-10.  What does that mean?  Should I, as one of the 800 plan to arrive on the 7th and depart on the 10th?

Actually some come of the 800 later found out they should come in on the 5th or 6th....and they don't have to leave until the 11th not the 10th.  So as I said for you it's easy.  You're on the INTO Board and have been coming to these rallys for 40 years.  The 800 do not have that experience and fmca.com makes it impossible for them to gather that information.

So....what dates should first timers plan to come to Indianapolis if they are parking in the 6-11 Generator Lot?  What if they are coming in for an Electric Lot? What date and time should they plan on leaving?  Is it possible to stay on the grounds and extra day?  How would I find a link to register for Indianapolis?  The only link I can find is some electronic form that I have to complete before I get any information on pricing or dates? 

We MUST overcome the reputation of FMCA being an Elitist Organization if it is to survive. 

In my working occupation I trained people....I often asked them:

Are you here because the member is here or is the member here because you're here.  I must tell you my friend some in this organization have this backwards.  The focus must be on the member.....not the leadership

So how about some arrival and departure dates for each category for indy?

Thank you, you said it right...I have a Newbie with me that has  her own coach and we are both on 50A in C 1, 5th & 6th Street, on Generator again!  Anyway, I agree.  There has to be a way to let all FMCA members know...when does holding area open, when can we come in and park, when will elect. be turned on and off and can we stay until morning after rally?  Not having that info, at least 3 months before, makes it hard to make plans!  I have wondered, why its such a big secret..and if we don't get this taken care off before, we (possibly) open up for trailers, it will be a fiasco! 

If you sell a service or a product, you have to have good leadership, that puts the customer first !  I have met a lot of the folks on our executive board, that gives the impression that they are special...no, their not.  They are voluntary, just like you and I.  My fear, is that the current "Leaders", have put the cart, before the horse! 

What's the answer?  Not sure, but think on this:  FMCA ran a lot smoother, before we had mobile phones and Internet.  We had 3,000 to 4,500 coaches that came to all the yearly Rally's!  We had the same as now, with or without elect., handicap sections.  Seldom you saw golf carts, we had trams and leg power...everybody was happy!  Go figure!

Carl 

Interesting tonight's entertainment.  We loved it.  To me it was like some people started out thinking "well I can tell my kids I saw this guy"....a few people (maybe 20 at the most) left not seeming to approve of the entertainment selection....then it seemed to transition to smiles of approval.  When we started clapping to the song standing up....I must say....most members looked at us and smiled.  Like they were looking into a 20 year old mirror:) 

Reminded me of a time in Madison when the ENERGIZED group was first forming up....the band was 3 men and 30 instruments...(they were incredible)  we saw 80-90 year olds in the audience smiling....we started dancing in the isle and approaching this group of ladies that were a bit older....they danced...smiled....and said....."that's why we need you ENERGIZED people....you make us feel young again"......that small act gave me two things:

a tear in my eye and hope for FMCA

Jeff.

By the size of this INTO Rally, it would seem to me, that we are not in such bad shape, as some would like for us to believe! 

Carl