captainjustice

Are My Tank Heater Pads Working?

We finally got some cold weather and a chance to see if the pads are working. Still not sure. How warm should they feel to the touch? Should it be obvious that they are heating? I put my hand around the ones on the waste tank drains and am just not feeling any remarkable heat.

I may have to pull some wires apart and measure current drain but hopefully someone can clue me in short of that.

It would help if you would post what coach you have...make, model, year, etc.  We are on RV number six and I don't recall ever having any "tank heater pads."

My unit has the heat pads for the tanks.  It also has a small electric heater in the wet bay.  I turn on a switch inside, when the temp in the wet bay drops to a certain level the heat pads and electric heater come on.  I can't reach the pads to tell how hot they might feel.  Works fine for me.

On 12/18/2016 at 8:39 AM, FIVE said:

It would help if you would post what coach you have...make, model, year, etc.  We are on RV number six and I don't recall ever having any "tank heater pads."

Well, that would help wouldn't it? It's a 2016 Forest River Georgetown 378 XL. I think I've convinced myself they're working  after putting a remote thermometer in the bay and observing it. The switch for the Arctic Pak doesn't tell you the pads are actually drawing current. 

I use one of those digital thermometers in the wet bay also, one that shows the outside reading on a gauge inside the motor home, mounted the outside transmitter inside the wet bay. This way I can see the wet bay temperature at any time, if the actual outside temperature falls close to freezing, the wet bay area should always read above the freezing mark. I use waterbed heaters in my wet bay that was placed under the tanks, then set the units to come on at 35 degrees then shut off at 40, with the same set up as I describe

I carry an infrared temperature gun that use for checking the holding tank temperature to make sure they don't freeze.  Also use for checking tire, brakes,etc.  You can find them at Harbor Freightt for about $30.   I have checked their accuracy with name brand units a d have found them to accurate.

Jim