squiredude

Used Car For Flat-towing For Under $5k

Hi folks,

I am single living on my SSD and now a new full-timer in my '97 Discover R36, although I've been RVing for 4+ years, and lived on my sail boat for 20+ years before that!  Actually I like the small space where everything has its place and a place for everything.

My issue is that now I am full time I don't think the 2005 Mini Cooper S Convertible I am currently towing is the best vehicle for the job.  I need something that I can replace it with that is more functional, better mileage, cheaper to repair.  

Selling the Mimi should not be a problem, I hope! 

But what to buy?
I checked into Jeeps (Wrangler, Cherokee), but they are expensive and get low mileage.

I know my budget is smaller than most, but I think it is doable and when all is said and done that's it...

$4K for the car
     $1k for any repairs (there's always something that needs fixing)
     $1k for Blue-Ox base plate (parts & labor).

Searching for a used car is not much of a problem... but researching if it can be flat towed IS a long process.

Can anyone suggest a car that can be flat-towed (Blue-Ox) for about $4k?

Thanks in advance to everyone for the assistance.

If you can use manual transmission, most of the older ones can be flat towed. I have a friend that towed a 2004 Honda Accord Auto that could be flat towed. I love Jeep's, but finding one of those for under 5K is next to impossible. I have a 4WD Geo Tracker that pulls great, and it's auto, not for sale. Good luck hunting.

Former owner of our coach towed an older Honda Civic Manual. Might have been under 3000 lbs. No auxiallry braking needed.

All Chevy HHR last model 2011 just remove number eight fuse, automatic  put in neutral and GO.

Check yearly towed vehicle listings FMCA.  Mileage 30 plus. 65 mph Max.  Tim

Thanks to everyone who has made suggestions.  I really appreciate the assistance.

I like the Honda CRV suggestions, will check into that more.

KayPSmith - What year is your Geo Tracker?

Chevy HHR - not even thought of that as a possibility... interesting, thanks.  I have checked out the FMCA toad listings, the problem is that I only found recommendations for that year.  Using their prior year listings I still have to do a lot of research on price etc.  Mostly that listing of r those who can afford a new toad ever couple of year.  Sorry not in my budget anymore!

Again thank to everyone and keep them coming.  I'll let you all know what I settle on in the end.

SquireDude...your problem is easy to solve.  Get any CRV 2014 or earlier.  No issues of whether or not you can tow it, it's in the manual and tells you how to do it.  Plus, it's a Honda, what's not to like...we are on our second CRV, can't beat them.

Depending on the year the CRV holds its value. I just bought a 2008 (AWD) with 120,000 miles for $8000. You might have to really go older to get down to your budget. If it were me I would look at the Civic. Just look at gas powered, not CNG, I drove one of those CNG ones for a few weeks, 19 mpg on a car that size was a big down fall.

Tracker is 1991, paid 2K for it 8 years ago, probably has as many toad miles as driven miles, 105,000. I don't tow it as often on long trips anymore, I use tow dolly to pull mine or DW's newer on the longer trips because of taking the mini golfcart on those longer stays.

We went with the 2006 Saturn Vue AWD for a number of reasons. 4WD when needed only. Drive train is Honda's Acura drive train and NOT GM.

Body panels are plastic--no rust!

Sits high enough  so entry & exit are easier for us with our back and knee issues. Also visibility is better.

Four door plus rear hatch so passenger room plus cargo room.

Once setup for towing all I have to do is let idle in neutral for three minutes, flip a switch that--in effect-- acts like pulling ignition fuse (shuts off engine), and then good to go for 600 miles.

SquireDude,

Look at the classified section in FMCA monthly magazine.  There is a "towed vehicle" heading.  Most of those vehicles are already set-up to be towed.  Some offer the tow bar also.

Blake

Several people have suggested the Honda CRV, 2014 and older. I also suggest this vehicle, but caution you to check the owners manual carefully. The only models I have seen capable of flat towing are the all wheel drive versions. I have towed my 2003 many miles without a problem. No need to pull a fuse. I would also suggest having/ adding a battery charging line added to the trailer wire harness. No dead battery after a days travel.

All CRVs 2014 and earlier are towable four down not just AWD models.  As noted above, the manual tells you it is towable and the procedures to use prior to towing.

I would like to thank everyone who has chimed in and give me lots of really good suggestions. 

Now that I have a list of vehicles I can sell my current car (2005 Mini Cooper S Convertible, tows well but has very low ground clearance on the hitch).  My previous toad was a 1991 Mazda Miata and I never knew it was there as it was so light!  Got rid of it as I was getting a bit to heavy (fat) to get in and out of it! :-) Great toad car though for the younger or more agile set. 

Thanks again to everyone for your contributions

Your Mini Cooper is worth more than you think.  Saw a 2006 at CarMax in Houston, TX.  $6,499 about a month ago...Google CarMax, they'll give you listings for whole US or local, might be a good place to check out a trade or less $ vehicle!

Carl 

Thanks again to all who and contributed possible solutions to my problem. 

Because of cost and it actually looks nice I am favoring the Honda CRV.  My question now is to "flat tow" do you suggest...

1. Manual?
  2. Automatic?
  3. AWD?

I don't have a preference and of course manual is not an issue for me.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts and suggestions.

I have a all wheel drive and it workes fine. The standard auto works the same. I don't know if they ever made a standard in the CR-V but I would get a auto because of the better resale. 

Bill

On ‎12‎/‎19‎/‎2016 at 10:09 AM, nitehawk said:

2006 or 2007 Saturn Vue AWD

Actually Saturn says not to flat tow the AWD. I tow a 2004 Vue with the V6, but not AWD.