jleamont

Florida Campgrounds/Resorts

We are planning a Florida trip next summer and I am at a loss for nice campgrounds. My oldest is graduating high school and she requested a Florida trip, since she is off to college soon I want it to be memorable.

I have the following locations on my list to explore over a 2 week trip. Any campground suggestions or places of interest to see and explore would be greatly appreciated, even if they are not listed below, I can add to the list. Since its a family vacation I will splurge for a resort type of CG as we will only be in once spot for a few days to explore the area if its a nice clean place, which is preferred.

Walt Disney World, staying at Fort Wilderness.

Sanibel Island, I looked at Red Coconut campground in Ft Myers Fl. Any recommendations in that area for a different campground?

St Augustine, Considering Beverly Beach campground. Any recommendations in that area for a different campground?

Cape Canaveral. We will day trip out of Fort Wilderness for this. Any recommendations for other must see adventures in that area?

While searching I was horrified at the condition of most Florida campgrounds, most don't have websites. I expected the cream of the crop since its a winter destination and what I saw was the opposite :o.

Joe, I have relatives in St Augustine, will have them check for the better campgrounds there soon after holidays and get that info to you. Merry Christmas to you and the family, and everyone else on the forum.

Be sure you head to Kennedy Space Center.  Not sure there is too much at Cape Canaveral.  There's not much else to do in that area unless you want to go to the beach and then you can drop down to Cocoa Beach.

On 12/22/2016 at 6:22 AM, jleamont said:

Walt Disney World, staying at Fort Wilderness.

Sanibel Island, I looked at Red Coconut campground in Ft Myers Fl. Any recommendations in that area for a different campground?

St Augustine, Considering Beverly Beach campground. Any recommendations in that area for a different campground?

Cape Canaveral. We will day trip out of Fort Wilderness for this. Any recommendations for other must see adventures in that area?

While searching I was horrified at the condition of most Florida campgrounds, most don't have websites. I expected the cream of the crop since its a winter destination and what I saw was the opposite :o.

Um  this may or may not help but I'll share anyway. 

I was in Florida this past September and I decided to take a look at a few campgrounds in Kissimmee/Orlando area. What I saw scared me a bit.
In that area, Tropical Palms was the first place I visited (Just Drove right in) and at first it looked like a normal (what I thought would be normal) campground but the further I looked it reminded me of the trailer parks in NC where I grew up. I have NO ISSUE with older coaches but some of these rascals should have been put out the pasture some time ago. They appeared to be long time visitors there and even the newer coaches had grass growing around the wheels. Just not as nice as I thought it would have looked in Florida. Good Sam rated it as a 9 9 9 in the book but in my honest opinion it was a 6 7 7.   

Looked at another further up 192 and it was worse. The KOAs are AWESOME but you gonna pay for them of course. If I wasn't staying in Fort Wilderness (I'll be there October of 2017) I would only feel comfy at the KOA unless money was tight and then I might just boondock at Wally World for a night or two. 

Keon, I went with Red Coconut, Stage Coach (St Augustine) and of course Fort Wilderness. 

Red Coconut had me worried but after I found a YouTube video from a drone I felt much better. I can't recall ever struggling this much for a nice place. I would have never thought I would struggle like this in Florida. 

If we were just looking for a cheap place with hookups it would have been a cinch.

what has baffled me since we started with the last RV is why so many places don't have websites to promote their business. If I can't peak at pictures and what they have to offer, pricing amenities etc... I look elsewhere, unless recommended by a friend.

Keon, here's one for you in your back yard. Try and locate a campground with full hookups 50amp across the Chesapeake from Annapolis MD (Rock Hall, Kent Island area) I have a call into Bayshore and Duck Neck. In that entire area that is it!! 

FYI, Duck Neck is expanding and adding big rig sites over this winter, but both of these are primarily seasonal trailer parks.

DW is from Maryland, last year she didn't get and trips where we got Blue Crabs, I'm still hearing about it in December. There are many great seafood restaurants in that area, I figured a couple of days down there would save me the earful next winter :P

22 hours ago, jleamont said:

1. Keon, here's one for you in your back yard. Try and locate a campground with full hookups 50amp across the Chesapeake from Annapolis MD (Rock Hall, Kent Island area) I have a call into Bayshore and Duck Neck. In that entire area that is it!! 

2. DW is from Maryland, last year she didn't get and trips where we got Blue Crabs, I'm still hearing about it in December. There are many great seafood restaurants in that area, I figured a couple of days down there would save me the earful next winter :P

Number 1, Your right --- you cant. Its crazy and thats why Castaway books so fast because they are like IT ...its also the reason it costs so much to stay the KOA because they know they are the closest to 50 and the bay bridge.

Number 2. If she wants Blue Crab ill keep you posted on something for June 3th that I am throwing at the KOA. Mr. Blue Crab will be making an appearance but I have not worked out all the details yet. When I do you will get an invite. Maybe yall can come down and meet us for the weekend.  

In St Augustine, Stagecoach is very popular for it's reasonable price and location near the interstate and outlet malls, but its not a resort. 

North Beach Campground is  a unique location.  It sits between the intracoastal waterway and the ocean.  You can request a site near the intracoastal as it has picnic tables and a dock on the waterway.  There are 3 very good restaurants within walking distance - Aunt Kate's (right next to the campground) on the intracoastal, Caps on the Water also on the intracoastal and The Reef on the ocean.  There are many other great restaurants within 2 miles.  The campground has lots of sand but also lots of large oaks to provide shade. 

Beverly Beach is nice but I think you would find staying in St Augustine would be much more convenient to restaurants, sightseeing, and shopping.  It would be about a 45 minute drive into St Augustine based on traffic on 2 lane A1A. 

Enjoy your vacation in Florida!