Kiltedpig

DP Maintenance Costs

Looking to buy a Class A DP and since I have never had one.

I am curious about the 'extra' cost of maintenance compared to a gasser.  

Most notably is the 15,000 mile service interval, about how much should I budget for this service as a general rule?  

Hi Kiltedpig, the size of your engine will be a factor,amount of oil required. You can save money if you do it yourself,no shop labor. I have my Monaco Windsor serviced every fall at Cummins N Power in Fargo ND. I use synthetic oil in my generator and engine. The service includes fuel and oil filters in both gen. and engine. Going over the suspension and greasing the chassis, the transmission is also checked as well as my brakes and tires. If anything has to be done over and above they let me know if it is urgent or if it can be done at another time. This annual check costs between $600.00 and $700.00. Good luck. Smokeater75

25 minutes ago, Kiltedpig said:

Not that bad, I saw a post where the cost was over $2000 but I guess they did other things.

What will kill the budget is breakdowns and tires. In my opinion these will drive your cost up significantly higher than a gas coach.

If you scout around, you can find mom and pop shops that will do the work a lot cheaper than the big name places.  I had some fuel filters changed at a Freightliner shop...$110/hour labor, my bill was over $400.  FYI, Flner puts them on the engine where I could not even see them, much less change them.  Spartan puts a filter bay on the coach where I could sit on a stool and change both of them.  But I digress...I buy my engine oil at Sams, bought the filter at Flner and found a mom and pop diesel shop  They change and dispose of the oil and filter and lube the coach for one hour's labor charge...$65.  Plus, they encourage the customer to hang around the shop and watch their RV being serviced.  That way I can show them items they might miss, like both ends of the drive shaft.

My manual says 15,000 miles or 1 year, which ever come first.  The 1 year is the one I go by and have everything changed whether it needs it or not.  Average cost for an M1 is about 600-800 and an M3 about $1500.

Finding a "Mom & Pop Shop" with a service bay and entrance doors that has the height & width you require can be a bit of a problem at times. When the transmission went on our class C (Ford tranny) it was impossible to find a local transmission shop capable of admitting a vehicle with the height of our "C".

28 minutes ago, Elkhartjim said:

I think rather than using a "mom and pop shop" tag a more appropriate tag would be an independent shop. Just my opinion.

I call it a "mom and pop" because it is a small independent shop that is a diesel engine rebuild facility and an authorized Allison shop.

I have mine done at the Freightliner factory service center in Gaffney SC. This year it cost $750. It will vary from year to year as some things don't need changing every year. It gives me peace of mind to not have to wonder if everything was done and my mind needs all the peace it can get:D   ccmsm

5 hours ago, FIVE said:

I call it a "mom and pop" because it is a small independent shop that is a diesel engine rebuild facility and an authorized Allison shop.

I think thats what we all mean, usually, when we call it a mom and pop place of business.