hayesfamily

Replacing Entry Door Handle & Locks

As with most coaches the entry door handle has two locks, the top one being the deadbolt I guess and then the bottom being the regular lock.

My coach never came with a key for the deadbolt so I'm considering calling a locksmith to make me a key or potentially changing the entire handle with some type of fancy push button combination lock like the one found in Ford Cars .... if they exists for coaches. That would keep me from requiring a key to get in and reduces the likelihood of me being locked out.

So my question is, are handle and lock setups in most coaches standard?

Yes and no Keon. Most RV deadbolt are common to residential locks. However for example in our coach the deadbolt is placed where the standard bolt is too short and it has an extension on it. The extension is held on with a roll pin. One time pin broke in the locked position. 

One thing you might consider when and if you replace the lock is to match it with the same lock you have at home. You can then have it re-keyed to the same key for your home and then you won't a be adding another key to your key chain.

We do have a keyless lock on our coach and we love it. What I love is when I unlock the door with the pad or remote, it unlocks the door and all bay doors st the same time. Doing the door with a keyless lock might not be too hard, but the bay doors might be cost prohibited. 

Herman 

Keon, Have not seen a coach with a touch pad system, in the lower portion of the price range. The top end units use touch pads to control locks with air or electric. There are aftermarket kits that one might be able to adapt for the application. One tricky part will be getting power to the electrical system inside the door. Some coaches do use spring loaded contacts in the door jamb that line up with the ones in the door. A wireless receiver could be installed, but you need power to activate the lock solenoid(s) in the door.

Rich.

A lot of them are made by Trimark and according to a local locksmith the cylinders/locks are not available except from Trimark and perhaps their distributors. If the following is what your's looks like, it is a Trimark:

TRIMARK 

When I needed a key I had to buy it from Trimark because the blanks were not available form the local locksmiths I checked with.

Type remote keyless RV door lock in eBay they show several answering the question if they are available aftermarket 

Merry Christmas to all

5 hours ago, HayesFamily said:

As with most coaches the entry door handle has two locks, the top one being the deadbolt I guess and then the bottom being the regular lock.

My coach never came with a key for the deadbolt so I'm considering calling a locksmith to make me a key or potentially changing the entire handle with some type of fancy push button combination lock like the one found in Ford Cars .... if they exists for coaches. That would keep me from requiring a key to get in and reduces the likelihood of me being locked out.

So my question is, are handle and lock setups in most coaches standard?

Look in the stack of documentation you got with the coach. There maybe a code for the key. Take the code to a locksmith and he can cut a new one. Or call Fleetwood with your VIN number and they can supply you with the key code.

Bill

Good thought Bill! The OEM style lock cylinders are NLA, they have been replaced with a different style and are not interchangeable. The OEM key(s) will have an ID Code like TM ### stamped in them. There are a few of the old style key blanks left at Fleetwood service and parts center, but when they are gone that is it.

One will need to replace the pod handles and make sure that you include the key code required so all the lock cylinders match as they are changed out.   

Also if one changes the entry door assembly ! The lock cylinder for the door handle(Not The Dead Bolt Key) Key can be used for the new style pod lock cylinders, but you need to request the proper cylinders !! for them to all match.

At the time the coach was built the storage pod latch lock cylinders where installed with matching key code. 

Rich.

I am glad I asked this question because all of the feedback has been helpful. 

The Keyless is simply a dream I will have in the next coach because the cost exceeds the value of the situation ($700+). If I would get more money when I sell the coach than OK, its not going to raise the value at all. 

i can get keys made which is good as the blanks are still available. I will try that route but as it stands this is one of those things you deal with when you buy a gentle used (or rough and ready) coach. 

The Key code is stamped on the key itself but I can not find the codes in the documentation - and I have a TON of it to still look through. I am going to call Fleetwood and ask in the AM. 

Keon, if the door latch key is a Trimark, the number stamped on the key is not the code. It is the model number blank and must be must be cut to match your current key.

In the original post I believe you were asking about the dead bolt. As I mention before, if your current dead bolt is the same make as your home lock just take the cylinder out and go to a locksmith or even Lowe's and have it keyed to your home key. Simple job. Or just take the cylinder to a locksmith and have them make a key and recode the cylinder. 

Herman 

15 minutes ago, hermanmullins said:

Keon, if the door latch key is a Trimark, the number stamped on the key is not the code. It is the model number blank and must be must be cut to match your current key.

In the original post I believe you were asking about the dead bolt. As I mention before, if your current dead bolt is the same make as your home lock just take the cylinder out and go to a locksmith or even Lowe's and have it keyed to your home key. Simple job. Or just take the cylinder to a locksmith and have them make a key and recode the cylinder. 

Herman 

Herman, When I was at the Decatur location 3 months ago. I just gave them the key number and they used it to cut the new ones. It appeared that they knew the cylinder style because of the year the coach was built. The girl at the counter said that made it very easy to know the cut pattern.

The dead bolt on our coach is also made by Trimark and the local locksmith could not match that key blank ether. it is nothing like a home lock cylinder, but the 1988 Bounder did have a dead bolt setup like a home style, with a shorter key. 

Rich.