tarheels293

Caterpillar C-9 Diagnostic Question

Just bought a 2009 safari cheetah, on a 700 mile trip 696 of them were smooth, with no warning the step out light comes on. We stopped checked the steps, no problem. Got back on the road the check engine light came on. Before I could stop again a symbol pops up. Looked into owners manual it's the PDF light. I checked my temp,oil pressure and volts looked good so I drove to my dad's house.  Cut the RV off, started it back up, lights still on. Took my j1939 scan tool from matco, got codes SPN 3474 fmi 31. Also SPN 3251. Now the next morning is 12-26-2016. It has a C9 cat, eng ser# c9s00936. Mileage 29000. Needless to say I'm sick, this is the very first trip. Any help would be appreciated.

Code 3473-31 is defined as a failure to ignite. This meas the ecm attempted to ignite a flame in the ARD housing and it failed. You either have a bad spark plug or bad ARD head. I always try a spark plug first.

3251-0  Diesel Particulate Filter Differential Pressure (bank 1) : High - Most Severe (3). Troubleshooting, "Diesel Particulate Filter Has Differential Pressure Problem"    

Thanks Wolfe 10,

Just talked to someone at a cat shop and he said I didn't put def fluid in a holding tank:blink:. What ! I don't see any place for that. I told him that and he said for me too get these codes I must be using def fluids. I'm really sick now.

Do you have the manual on the coach, chassis and/or engine?  Each should outline this. 

IF you have a DEF tank (and I can not tell you 100% either way as it depends on ENGINE build date, not coach build date or model year), they are usually located on the opposite side from the diesel fill and toward the back of the coach.

A call to the Caterpillar RV Hotline (877 777-3126) with your engine serial number would be a good source of information on this.

Thanks again, I've been looking all over this RV and just don't see a def. tank.  I've been all through the owners manual and no talk of a def. tank. After I install this spark plug (in my diesel, I know, I know) how do I reset the code light?  Or will it do it automatically if it's fixed? PS I traded my Cummins with 100,000 miles and never a problem for a Cat with 28000 miles and didn't make it 700 miles. I'm not impressed at all.

Yup, newer emission standards are VERY different, requiring VERY different (complex) technology.  Cat, Cummins, DD-- rules are basically the same.

Tarheels293, call CAT with your serial number as recommended above. I worked on many of that era engine, I do not ever remember ever seeing one with a DEF tank. I believe at the time CAT was cashing in credits and never progressed into DEF and abandoned the on highway engine program before running out of govt credits.

There is a fluid that was supposed to be added (or recommended anyway) to keep the ARD head from plugging but it is injected into the ARD head at every oil change by a qualified technician (the stuff is really corrosive). Completely different system than DEF/SCR technology.

You will most likely have to take that to a CAT dealer to correct the problem.

Thanks every one for your help, my wife and I went to Daytona this morning and talked with the shop foreman at ring power (Cat) great guy to talk to.

Jleamont, if I didn't know better  I would think you were sitting right next to me. He said about word for word. I did try the spark plug BUT no go. After I installed the plug, we went up the road 10 and back. 20 mile round trip and it runs great. If it weren't for the lights on in the dash, you wouldn't even know. Would you try to drive it back home 700 miles to my mechanics.  Or leave it here in Daytona?  Honestly I want to take it back where I bought it.........well I'm going to be nice.. thanks again to all of you trying to help, I've always been able to get good information from you guys.

Have a merry Christmas and a great new year.

Ring Power is a reputable CAT dealer. If it were me I would let them fix it, take the bill to where you purchased it. If it derates while trying to get home you will really be upset, plus an RV dealer unless by some miracle (i.e. hired a CAT certified tech) would be lost with a concern like that.

Good luck and I hope this works out for you.

Well what a long day this has been, jleamont, took your advice and took it back to Ring Power (Cat). Alex (shop foreman) put it on the computer and manually regen the ARD head and it ignited. Hurry!  BUT it didn't last long only 85%. When it went to relight, nothing. He tried 3 times. So installing an ARD head.   Again if you have a 2007 to 2010 RV an ARD head is in your future.  Stay tuned,  I'll let you know what the price and time frame is.

Thanks again guys for your help.

Well I live on Lake Gaston, North Carolina, about 1 mile from the Virginia line. My 2001 isb 300 5.9 Cummins was great. I installed a eng.speed sensor and lift pump which I replaced my self. I went to Cummins sales and service in Kelley NC to get my parts and when I said something about a program,  absolutely not he said. So I left it at that. But if you think it will help I will sure look into it. I don't mean to sound ugly on some of my post, it's just our first trip with our dream rv.we have work hard to get to this point. I'm an ASE tech. I've run the family business for 40 years.I'm not use to other people working on my RV. But I don't know nothing about this new system.  My first break down and it's just got me rattled. Thanks to all you guys it's going to be alright and I hope I can help ya'll some day.  I will be calling back.

Well to start with I really want to thank all the people that helped me out with this problem on my first break down. Especially jleamont, he talked me into doing the right thing. Picked up my RV this afternoon from Ring Power Cat in Daytona. Those guys worked hard to get us back on the road so we wouldn't have to rent a vehicle to get home with. The ARD head was bad. $3506.17 parts & labor. Unbelievable. So if you have one on your RV get ready. This RV has 29564 miles. What a sorry design. Cat should be ashamed. That's all I've got to say about this. If you need any help just ask these guys on FMCA--  they are awesome.  Thanks again guys have a happy new year!

Ps...if your going to break down, Daytona is the place to do it....it's been in the 80' all week.   ?

Wow, great information .  This is what I've been saying, you can only get info like this from the guys on FMCA. Thanks ziggyh, you can believe I will do this.

I own a 2009 Safari Cheetah with a CAT C-9. With 32,000 miles I started having similar issues. After several trips to Ring Power in Sarasota and Lake City, FL and several thousand dollars I came to the conclusion that they can not fix it. Every time I took it in there was something different wrong  and everything they did worked for awhile. You may be OK for now but it won't last. There are several large trucking companies that have a class action suit going against CAT.

Mine is now repaired and running great, more power and better fuel mileage. If you want to contact me directly I will be happy to discuss this with you and what I did to fix mine. I haven't had a regen light in 2 years. Let me know and I will tell you how to contact me directly.

'

Falcon, I'm certain I know how you overcame that mess, hats off to you!! 

What did it do to your MPG, I.e. How much better was it after?

On 1/7/2017 at 7:37 PM, Falcon6251 said:

I own a 2009 Safari Cheetah with a CAT C-9. With 32,000 miles I started having similar issues. After several trips to Ring Power in Sarasota and Lake City, FL and several thousand dollars I came to the conclusion that they can not fix it. Every time I took it in there was something different wrong  and everything they did worked for awhile. You may be OK for now but it won't last. There are several large trucking companies that have a class action suit going against CAT.

Mine is now repaired and running great, more power and better fuel mileage. If you want to contact me directly I will be happy to discuss this with you and what I did to fix mine. I haven't had a regen light in 2 years. Let me know and I will tell you how to contact me directly.

'

Bill,  I'm not really sure how to do it.  I'm hoping he will check back and see I'm trying to get in touch with him. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks again.        

Tarheel.  Just right click on his ghost image and it will say message, click on that.  I hope his is not a C9S engine!

Carl