tarheels293

Caterpillar C-9 Diagnostic Question

Sorry I forgot to check back. Email direct bruncon@gmail.com. To answer the fuel question 1 to 1.5 mpg. But more important the rig pulls hills lake they are flat. We pull a 24' trailer with jeep, motorcycle, tools etc and still no issues. It has been almost 2 years since I had mine repaired and have had no issues.

The sad thing is the C9 is a great engine it just has really dumb emission controls on it. CAT was never able to get it right which is why they pulled out of on road engines in this country. Hopefully one day they will get it together and come back. I have always been a CAT fan and have had great luck with others in the past.

Thanks Mr. Falcon,  I sent you a email, again I appreciate your help and all the help from the guys in this forum. I would love to fix it because the way I understand it now all makes and models are fighting the same problem. Now if I'm wrong about this and I don't fix this RV, I want to know who ain't having this problem so I can trade for one. My wife and I took our 2nd trip this weekend and the heist light came on after 6 hours on the road. Only when I stopped. No check engine light. I did a self diagnostic, code was spn 641 fmi 7. I told my wife were going to drive it and it's going to go or blow. It ran great and the ECM codes went away. I don't know it's man made. Stay tuned, my father's health is keeping me back and forth to Daytona FL, taking a trip in about 10 days I'll let you know what happens next. Thank everyone

Vince

Vince.  The HEIST is a normal operation...It's the regeneration of the Particulate filter.  Mine does it about every 4,000 miles and I have to keep the coach rolling, takes about 12 minutes and the exhaust goes from 500+/- degrees to over 1,100 + on both exhausts.  Some engines are set up in such a way that you have to find a place to stop driving and let engine idle during the regeneration cycle.

I have a 425hp Cummins, 2009.

Carl   

Thanks, I was hoping I read it right, you just help clear my mind. Went to a cat shop today and asked about the code that came up and he said the (vgt) actuator's are good for sticking, WOW....You know I'm on pins and needles the whole time I'm driving now, this is not fun anymore. I don't mean to be whinning but come on, when I build a transmission for my customers I'm held responsible. Cat needs to come to the plate and do what is right. I've worked hard my whole life, just like all of you guys and I don't need to put thousands of dollars in there stupid mistakes. Well I'm sorry for that outburst but I feel better...... Thanks again carl, at least I know I can count on you guys for help.

jleamont

My fuel mileage increased 1 to 1.5 mpg. That to me is not that important. I work all over the country and when I need to get to a job I don't have the time to be broken down. My previous rig had 250,000 mile when I sold it with very few issues. And yes it was a CAT pre all this emissions crap. As for what I did just understand it is FIXED! My wife was very upset with the purchase because of the issues, she now loves the MH and is always coming up with things she want me to change. I have torn out all the carpet and replaced with hardwood and vinyl plank. Yes that includes the carpet on the flush slide out. Figured out a way to cover the gap. So the moral is if she is happy everybody is happy.

tarheels293 I can promise you that CAT has no clue how to fix the problem. I was at Ring Power in Lake City Fl. The tech that was working on mine was supposed to be the best in the country. CAT called him with problems. All he did was spend my money and not fix anything. The actuator is a problem with that turbo because of the heat generated by the regeneration process. Do away with that and the turbo issue goes away.

Vince.  I understand your frustration!  But all your anger is to no avail...CAT is still facing millions if not billions of dollar law suits over that engine, nothing you can do about it...Sorry!

Send a PM to jleamont, he might have some ideas, that I do not.  He's an expert on those engines, so is Brett Wolfe (aka Wolfe10)  pick their brains via a PM.

Carl

Yes I know what you are saying. We love the RV so I'm all ears. I want to do whatever you did to fix yours. I'm taking my grandkids to Disney in April and when I get back I hope I've got a plan to get to work with. Any help will be appreciated. I was just telling jleamont that the snap-on man I deal with and his friend that works at a cat shop will help me. So I just need a plan. There are some things that a cat shop want do, if you know what I mean. Like jleamont told me I'm looking for dependability not for power or fuel mileage, if it happens, great but I just want to drive my RV and enjoy the trip, not go "what's that"  every other mile. Thanks so much for your time and help. If you want to email me please do.

Vince

Thanks Carl I'm hoping falcon has a trick up his sleeve.  I'm hoping that this problem will help others out there with this type of engine. Because this has been a headache. Thanks for time Carl. 

Vince

Falcon6251, nice work! There are options out there but they all require $$$ to toss at them which in my opinion shouldn't be the consumers problem.

6 minutes ago, Falcon6251 said:

Yes it will cost some $$$ to fix but yiu will spend a lot less in the long run not to mention the piece of mind.

Agreed! Nothing like sitting on the side of the road to make a trip interesting :(