Sign in to follow this  
tbutler

Do you Wii?

Earlier this year we purchased the Nintendo Wii. The basic unit (Wii console) came with Wii Sports, which has bowling, tennis, golf and other sporting games. A friend of ours was using the Wii Fit which is a fitness program that works with the Wii console. We purchased that and have been working out for a while. I think Wii Fit is an excellent exercise program for older adults and it works well in a motorhome.

The Wii Fit program comes with a CD which is inserted into the Wii console and a balance board which is put on the floor. The display for all the Wii games is the TV. I placed the Wii console in the cabinet that has our other electronics. Our cabinets have a mesh front so communication is possible with the door closed. The console is on standby at all times so to conserve electricity when we are traveling I plugged the Wii console into a switchable power outlet. That way we an turn off the circuit when we don't have shore power.

The balance board is used for most of the Wii Fit program. You start with a body test. Standing on the balance board, it first weigh you. Then it gives you several balance tests and then scores you by giving your Wii Fit age. Eat too much or get a little off balance and your age goes up. Lose weight and have good balance and your weight goes down. It charts your progress and gives you fitness tips.

There are four categories of activities that you can do. Each builds strength and control in different ways. The Yoga exercises stretch and tone the muscles and build flexibility and balance. The balance board and a hand controller give feedback on your balance and scores you so you can see your improvement. These exercises or poses are not generally strenuous and you can choose your level of activity. There are several that my old body just won't bend to. Perhaps I'll be able to stretch out and do them someday but for now, I'll just have to skip them.

The strength training builds muscle tone and control. These exercises range from easy arm toning exercises to push ups and ab crunches. Again, the balance board and hand controller provide feedback and scores you based on your performance. Skip those you can't do for now and continue to build your strength. Through both the yoga and strength training a trainer guides, encourages and chides you based on your performance. You'll get messages like, "You have great balance," "You put your foot down didn't you," "You have great strength."

Aerobics have activities like step dancing, hula hoop spinning, boxing and running. These exercises will make you breathe hard. You can select the level of activity so you can start slow and then build as you get into shape. Instructions are given on the screen and your performance is evaluated based on your actions with the balance board and hand controller. The feedback is really helpful in keeping you on pace as you perform these activities.

Finally there are the whimsical balance games. Stand on the balance board and shift your weight to move your on screen avatar (called your Mii) as it hits soccer balls with its head. Watch out for the occasional shoe as a line of little kids serves up soccer balls to you. You can also do a ski slalom, ski jump, a marble roll game, snowboarding slalom, a bubble floating down a stream, a penguin catching fish. All these activities help improve the muscle tone and control to improve your balance. How many of us seniors could use some improvement in our balance? Not a senior? Start working these muscles early and you'll reach old age in much better condition than many of us are today.

With the holiday season upon us, perhaps the best gift you could give your family would be a Wii complete with the Wii Fit. Then get everyone into the fun of staying fit. I think you'll enjoy this and will feel stronger and more sure of yourself as you go about your daily activities. Get active, get fit, get Wii and use it to improve your life.

At the stick house or on the road, the Wii Fit is a great way to exercise. The variety of choices makes sure boredom does not become part of the routine. I've been using it since is was available.

For another $20 you can upgrade to Wii Fit Plus which makes it easier to use with multiple players, and it moves easier between exercises by letting you select all the strength and yoga positions you would like to do at one time.

Guest Wayne77590

ROFLO:

My grand kids got one for Christmas while they were here. They received the Wii Sport. They asked me to play. Of course, I was sitting in my recliner here at the stick house. I beat my son at golf, sitting in the recliner. I beat the kids at bowling, sitting in the recliner. I'm not into tennis.

My favorite was Mario Bros. (Sitting in the recliner)

Thanks Tom, you brought back some recent Christmas memories. It's hard to remember way back then! :rolleyes:

We have used the Wii for a year and love it. It goes in the stick house and MH with us. Just upgraded to the Fit Plus for $20 and love the personal workout section. You taylor your workout to your ability level and don't stop between exercise and yoga changes. Make it as long or as short as you want with as many different yoga or strength exercises as you want. I have a bad shoulder and this keeps it flexible and in shape where my running doesn't.

OK Wayne,

I'm biting! What is ROFLO? I'm sure you will send me to a tweeting dictionary somewhere. I'm not hip yet!

Sounds to me like you might be finished doing nothing! Time to get up on that horse again, get out of the recliner! HA HA!

Welcome to the forum rheasley! We did the upgrade to the Wii Fit Plus and are enjoying the enhancements. I had to laugh at your copilot, Jack Russell's are never short on energy! Good to have another Monaco with Trailblazer toad on board.

The thing I love about the Wii Fit is that the exercises tone the muscles and help maintain flexibility plus they are easy enough that even a Marine can do them!!!

Guest Wayne77590

Ha! Ha!

ROFLO= Rolling On Floor Laughing Out (loud). Guess I shoud have added an L to the end. I cleaned it up for the forum.

Nope! Still doing nothing. It's hard going. I never know when I'm finished.

Wii'ing it in the recliner is my type of entertainment.

We have a Nintendo Wii, as well. It was rather interesting playing Rock Band 2 and Beatles Rock Band with a full setup of two guitars, drums, and a mic inside of a 34 footer Class A with no slide outs. Fun game, and it's a fun machine.