magnusrehab

Running Into Things

I recently purchased 06 Itasca Ellipse 40 ft diesel pusher.   We love the layout,power and driveability.   Problem: I scraped a cargo door on my first parking attempt, backed into a large boulder, second incident and scraped the same cargo door again at a gas pump barrier  - number 3.   

Anyone able to relate and share my pain?  

Thanks for your counsel.  

Been there done that.  Have owned motorhomes since 1984, never put a scratch in one until the DP that we purchased in 2011.  Last fall we traveled to northern California and had the same experience with the barrier at a diesel pump, nothing that $8k could not take care of.

My DW has threatened to punch a hole in my boat.

Best wishes for better luck in 2017.

Jim

Had a 40 foot DP that I routinely backed out of our driveway, requiring a sharp turn which put the front wheels going over a steep portion of the drive.  Did it many times without an issue.  Buy a 42 foot DP, same manufacturer, different model.  First trip out, I back it out on the same path and ground the front end on the steep slope of the driveway causing significant damage.  In retrospect, I should have raised the front end when I first heard it, but............

So, yeah....I feel your pain.  

YUP, I hit the gutter on my garage with the DP. Never had a problem with the gas coach, had the DP for a month at the time. Funny I never noticed the gutter stuck out 2' past the side of the garage where the coach parks, needless to say it doesn't anymore :(.

One observation, my gas coach mirrors were larger than the DP mirrors, so visibility on the gasser was much better.

I found some rocks hidden in the grass on a tight corner up by Yosemite. Scraped the front right two doors on the slide storage bays.:angry: Still looking for replacements in all the usual places.

Bill

Maiden voyage evacuating for Hurricane Ike.  Knew the campground. Went to the turn-about and as I was making the turn there was a pickup truck parked and blocking my turn.  Backed up to get a different attitude and when I went forward again I hit the steel 6" pipe encased in cement in the ground.  Fortunately the ground was wet and they whole pipe tipped over with the pressure of the coach. The damage was to the lower part of the compartment door.  Had a yellow streak of paint and a big dent.   DW said, "Leave it that way as a reminder!" Hmmm! Reminder of what - oh, carelessness, non-observant, and her list went on. 

Checked with dealer and replacement door would have cost $2500 plus labor.   Left it that way for 6 years then had it fixed for $1200 - labor only. 

By the way, it only hurts the ego the first time. Don't ask me how I know.

On 1/3/2017 at 3:12 AM, hermanmullins said:

Then Carl sat in the coach drinking a beer while waiting for the service truck. Am I seeing a pattern here?:P

Happy New Year.

Herman

haha....not this time.

I have driven Fire trucks (including a 95' ladder) for 33+ years as a volunteer and never had an incident or put a scratch in one.

That said, all it takes is a distraction/loss of concentration and ooops! This fall when backing the coach into the backyard as we have done for 15 years I bumped a utility pole with the front corner. Was watching my wife in the mirror and kept losing sight of her. I asked her to stay where I could see her and plain flat out didn't check my right mirror as I should have. My fault any way you cut it. Stuff happens. Wife keeps telling to stop beating myself up over it. I think my pride was wounded worse than the coach! We have discussed and used it as a way to plan on how to avoid something in the future where ever we are.

At least insurance covers stupidity! The truck repair shop that did the body repairs was absolutely wonderful! A lot of companies could take customer service lessons from these folks. I did review them on RV Service Reviews.

31 minutes ago, Wayne77590 said:

Bennie, you're an angel. I'd blame the wife in any case.:lol:

This one was all mine and I am still kicking myself! I should have kept my focus. She has been great about it and keeps telling me to forget it. :D

Your wife is more forgiving than mine,  To make thinks worst she ask me before I turned into the gas station if we would be able to get out, my response was SURE.:(:(:(

Well, there was this fire hydrant hiding in the bushes on the inside of a right turn out of the RV site which just jumped out of the bushes and wiped out two cargo doors . . .  The Everglades Isle management was very understanding, however, and blamed the hydrant as well.  No charge to replace it, but it did cost me $1200 to replace and repaint the doors at Red Bay (Tiffin), less than half the cost estimate by a local RV dealer/repair shop here in FL.

It happens when you least expected. I dented the rear of my Itasca Diesel pusher, for trying to turned around at night, arriving at Disny FW. My mistake: I sould have had an spotter with a flashlight to see the "rock" that was in the bushes. Not a happy camper.

IMG_0509.JPG

The only pattern, I see here, with age comes oops!  I have had class "A's" since 1967 and had to wait until last year, to do my oops!  The back end of my coach took out part of the front end of another coach, at the 6 State Rally.  $7,200 out of my pocket...:(  My new bay door was $472, fabricated at a Plasma shop in San Antonio, TX.  That means Red Bay, charged $800 bucks too much..:P and they make the part in house!

I use Texas Custom Coach in Pipe Creek, TX.  Labor $75 an hour, custom built items $80 an hour! :wub:

Herman still digs me about it..:wacko:

Carl

Ya, I hit mine twice already (newbies) - 1st at the gas pump under construction.  I ran over a rebar and folded it over, no damage to the coach.  2nd was at Great Sand Dune where I turned at the end of the campground.  I lucked out, it was a wood timber barrier that I turned into and didn't leave any permanent scratches or damage, but it initially looked horrid!  I notice it did ruin the gas shock that holds open the cargo door so it must have caught it underneath.

Both times I have been caught it was pre-occupied with holding the tag dump switch and not paying attention to my turn.

I backed our 45 ft DP into a chain link fence.  I was even using my mirrors and back up camera.  Broke the driver side tail light and scratched up that whole corner area. I had to eat a little humble pie after that as I had been really irritated with my husband for putting scratches on both sides of the coach.  I couldn't understand how he didn't know he ran into something!  Now I know.  After my incidence we had the repairs done. $2500 out of pocket on approx $6500 worth of repairs.

Tracey

I haven't hit anything yet - but I've only had my MH since last OCT.

Now that I have my trailer hooked up it's at about 65ft long and after reading some of your stories I can only

hope that I don't hit something too.  Because I'm alone I plan on getting out often before and while backing up. But we all know what happens when it's raining....

Maybe I will find some rocks hiding in the grass etc. but I hope not.  Why do people put rocks on a corner anyways?  Do they really think

it will keep us from driving over any area they are trying to protect?  Maybe they should pay for any damage we encounter as a result of

having a hidden rock lying in wait for us.  Especially if they don't mention to look out for said rocks when entering the campground or at least 

before send us to a site with rocks whether they can be seen or not.  JMO.

I've had my motorhome for 18 months.  My first "motorhome stupid spell" was after the first time use of the motorhome for an LSU football weekend in November 2015 when I forgot to lower the bat wing TV antenna (my pre-motorhome travel trailer had a small, short disc type antenna).  The wonderful live oaks in Baton Rouge "reached out" and reminded me the antenna was still up. Luckily only small twigs on the oaks brushed the antenna before a big branch whacked it !   Of course I blamed the wife for not reminding me to lower the antenna as husbands are never wrong... :huh:

I also hit my tv antenna but stopped as soon as i heard it as I was just pulling out of my site no damage:wacko:. The very nice guy next to me also saw the near miss and told me that he hangs his ignition keys on the crank handle to remind him that the antenna is up. What a great idea, I do it all the time now and have sat in the drivers seat to start the coach and need to get back up to get the keys and crank down the antenna. Nice

I cut the right rear tire on a rock  curb that was very unforgiving and it cut the sidewall this winter.  Very expensive replacement when you have T/A service come out even with roadside assist.  At least I got a identical tire and don't have to replace any other.  Temperature and pressure running the same so no problem expected.