magnusrehab

Running Into Things

This is intended for those that don't know, some do, some don't. There are guidelines for changing one of two tires when in a dual configuration. To calculate, one must have two mounted and equally aired tires and under no load. Measure the outside circumference "OC" of each at the center of the tread, if the two are no more than 3/4 inch difference, then they will be within quidelines, and should be ok. This is slightly under 1/4 inch in diameter, or tire height. Many times there is almost that much difference in two new tires unless specified matched pairs. and to do this, it would greatly increase the cost of the tires.

On 1/2/2017 at 8:56 PM, magnusrehab said:

I recently purchased 06 Itasca Ellipse 40 ft diesel pusher.   We love the layout,power and driveability.   Problem: I scraped a cargo door on my first parking attempt, backed into a large boulder, second incident and scraped the same cargo door again at a gas pump barrier  - number 3.   

Anyone able to relate and share my pain?  

Thanks for your counsel.  

When ever backing or going around sharp corners when parking, I adjust the mirrors so I can see all the way down the sides, including rear tires.  Also, always use a ground guide.

I ALMOST hit a utility pole in the campground at Branson the last time we were there. We have a  2007 Bounder 38N DP.

I was watching my wife in the mirror on the drivers side, I lost sight of her. So, I stopped to get out & look for her. The pole was about 2" from the door, I was backing around to the left. Another 4" going backward, I'd have smashed the door pretty good.

The 2000 Southwind wasn't so luck. I turned too soon exiting my carport. Literally ripped the end cap off on the right side, tore it half way across the back end. $13,500.00 to repair that.

There are two types of RVers; those that have similar stories and those that don't yet have similar stories.  I first learned the value of spotters and backup cameras at an older RV resort in North Georgia.  Adjacent to my site were a power pole and a second pole for a security light.  I lined up and prepared to back in, making sure I knew where the pole closest to the site was using my side mirror.  Easy evolution, no need to send my wife out in the heat.  Only problem was I mistook the second pole for the intended one and backed almost squarely into the power pole, cracking my rear cap.  Had I been three inches further over, I would have hit with the hitch instead of the cap.  I never even glanced at the backup monitor.  $1200 later.....

Having been Parking coaches for many years at Chapter, Area and National Rallies I have found so many folks will not listen to their Parkers. I always tell the driver if the man in the rear has his hand point left to turn the top of the steering wheel to the left and visa versa. I have many time told them, "The Other Left", "No The Other Reverse", "Please Watch The Parker" and many other things I have said that they couldn't hear. :wub:

But I still love doing it. I have had people come up to me several year later and say, "Your parked me in Perry, thank again". They remember you. Of course it may have been my Orange Cowboy Hat.B)

Let the Adventures never end.

Herman

Herman.  The crew in Chandler, was the best ! :wub:  Off course, one can avoid all the lines, by being a volunteer and come in early! :) 

On 2/25/2017 at 9:17 AM, kaypsmith said:

This is intended for those that don't know, some do, some don't. There are guidelines for changing one of two tires when in a dual configuration. To calculate, one must have two mounted and equally aired tires and under no load. Measure the outside circumference "OC" of each at the center of the tread, if the two are no more than 3/4 inch difference, then they will be within quidelines, and should be ok. This is slightly under 1/4 inch in diameter, or tire height. Many times there is almost that much difference in two new tires unless specified matched pairs. and to do this, it would greatly increase the cost of the tires.

My rear tire replacement is within that guidelines and I monitor pressure and temperature very close the same.  Very little wear on other tires and the best option for cost effected replacement.   

There is only one ground guide I will listen to/use and that is my wife.  It's nice to have audio on the monitor plus her hand signal. I learned the very first time backing the MH into the driveway that "Whoa!" is Texan for "Stop."

I scratched the right rear of my 42 foot DP the very first morning we had it when I ran into a planter at the front of our site.   The DW said: "At least it was you and not me.   I would have never heard the last of it."    Yep, she's right.

I love posts like these, makes me feel not so foolish. They say it's not if you do something dumb when you drive these monsters, it when you do something dump. Everyone does it, some people just don't admit it. I took out two boulders, first one 3rd. day of ownership. Then I backed into my own tow car (wife parked it behind the motor home when I backed in I didn't see it and last but not least I dragged my 50amp cable down the freeway in Missouri. 

Not entirely my fault:  Winding my way out of a campground on a narrow, winding, gravel road with lots of trees on each side. Made it without incident, but just as I made it to the public street I heard the crunch. The 5' tall outside kitchen door had come open and caught the last tree on that side for miles to come.  My speed, according GPS track, was 7 MPH, but even at that speed the door was ripped off cleanly with only a sliver of metal holding the rear hinge.  I know the door was closed completely and locked and had not been opened anytime since leaving home (200 + miles).   I examined the latch and discovered that there was only 1/10th of an inch of latch keeping that door closed - this is evident from the wear pattern on the latching mechanism.   I have since checked all of the basement latches and most show a wear pattern much bigger than 1/10th inch and I adjusted those that needed it. .

If you have one of these outdoor kitchens, I would advise an inspection and adjustment of the latch, if needed, so that it doesn't have a "hair" trigger.  It might save you $4500 or worse, a real tragedy if it should come open out in traffic.