rscormier

Upgrade From 295/80/22.5 To 305/70/22.5

I have a 2009 American Coach with 295/80R/22.5 Michelin's, I had my coach weighted at the FMCA Rally in Perry last year, I'm 200 pounds over the limit for max weight, I'm replacing my tires soon and see the 305/70 are 20ply and have a higher load rating, has anyone switched from the 295's to 305's? and what has been your experience.

One more thing, has anyone had any experience with TOYO tires, I'm looking at them, the tires are a lot less than Michelin and have a 66 month warranty. your comments and suggestions are welcome and suggested.

rs,

Welcome to the Forum. 315s on the front should not be an issue. However spacing should be addressed.  Be sure that the space is adequate when all of the coach weight is on the tires.

Have not heard yea or nay on the Toyo tires.

Herman 

rscomier,

Yes, welcome to the FMCA Forum.

Verify rim size is adequate for the 305's

Verify that you have the additional clearance above the larger tires and between tires and chassis/axle components. If you have a Sheppard steering box, it is easily adjusted externally for max cut angle if that is needed.

2 minutes ago, rscormier said:

Thanks for your feedback

rscormier, welcome to the Forum !

By size it is not only the 22.5 in. but the width also, like 7-1/2 in., 8 in. 8 1.2 in. This measurement can change the clearance between tires on the rear and affect the turning  radius also.

Rich. 

rscomier,   What series Michelins do you have, the X coach series in the 295/80 are rated at 8270 Lbs. vs 7830 Lbs. single. also the Tire RPM, ( rotations per mile ) may be a factor with speedo calibration.

I have used Toyo tires in the past and have never had any bad experiences with them. But you may want to check the tire diameter between 295X80 22.5 versus 315X70 22.5. the 315X70 is about 1.22 inches shorter than the 295X80, meaning more revolutions per mile. 315X75 is almost an exact diameter. While typing wildebill beat me to the punch but here is another calculator.

https://www.tacomaworld.com/tirecalc?tires=295-80r22.5-315-75r22.5

On 1/3/2017 at 3:10 PM, DickandLois said:

rscormier, welcome to the Forum !

By size it is not only the 22.5 in. but the width also, like 7-1/2 in., 8 in. 8 1.2 in. This measurement can change the clearance between tires on the rear and affect the turning  radius also.

Rich. 

The rule of thumb is the max width of a tire changes by 0.4" for each rim width change of 1"

Good discussion regarding upsizing tires.  But, does upsizing tires necessarily increase the axle gross carrying capacity?

Blake

3 minutes ago, blakeloke said:

But, does upsizing tires necessarily increase the axle gross carrying capacity?

Blake

Blake,

In a word, NO.  But it moves the "least strong component" to something other than the tires.  From a safety standpoint, you are safer with a tire carrying, say 85% of its rating than a tire carrying 100% of its rating.

Said another way, having the tires as the "weak link" is a safety issue that is better corrected.

Brett,

Thank for the reply and understand exactly what you are saying.  I hope the OP doesn't upsize then think he can load up to max capacity of the tires without ensuring axle is rated to handle the added weight.

Blake

The OP really needs to shed the 200#. Upgrading tire capacity is a good idea from tire life standpoint but first get under the Max GAWR and under the Max GVWR.

GVWR affects stopping distance which is a definite SAFETY issue.