Jl22l

Portable Dish Satellite Hookup

If you have a cable TV hookup in the Entegra, you can use the cable lead from the outside to the inside, just mount the satellite receiver at the TV end and the necessary cables from the receiver to the TV. There are many ways but now knowing what you have already limits the possibility for knowing what you already have, i.e., do you you have a rooftop dish etc.

Welcome to the forum.

In most cases, you cannot use the cable connection.  If you have a wall plate with a tiny push button that turns on your OTA TV antenna then it is likely this switch also is used to bring in the cable signal when that light is off.  If that's the case you cannot use that connection without some wiring modifications.

Let us know how you change from watching OTA TV to Cable TV.  Some coaches have a 2nd input out by the Cable In connection labeled Satellite In.  If you have one of those connections then it is a direct connection.

You can also run a new dedicated coax to where you want to install a satellite receiver or, if you have a connection for an outside TV that you do not use you may be able to use that connection as a run to the receiver.  Much depends upon the layout of the coach, how the wiring runs to the various TV's and were a receiver is expected to be located.

Kaypsmith, Thanks for the feedback. I have a cable hookup in the coach. The product I am trying to hookup is a Dish Tailgater with a Wally receiver. I hook the Tailgater into the coach and the Reciever to the tv. Something is preventing setup from finishing. 

BillAdams, I have to turn my OTA antenna booster off when I hook to cable. Cable comes in fine, but satellite will not connect. 

I have contacted a technician to come to my coach for help with this issue. I have hooked this system up every way possible with no luck. Thanks again for your assistance. I will let you know what the issue was. 

JL22L

Have you contacted Dish to activate your receiver?  I have the Tailgater if I don't use at least once every few weeks I have to contact them to reactivate the receiver.

Jim

I can't comment on your Entegra, however I can share what I do for my 2007 Damon Astoria that I purchased 18 months ago.  I have a Winegard Carry-out portable satellite dish (similar to a Dish Tailgator in size) that I use for LSU football tailgating weekends (a carryover from my travel trailer days).  I connect the Winegard dish to the one and only cable input that exists on the motorhome.  The "input" cable terminates in the "entertainment center' cabinet.  I have simple splitter that is connected to the end of the input cable.  From the "A" output of the splitter I have a short cable to a DirecTV satellite receiver from which another short cable connects to the "satellite input" of a 2007 era Winegard cable selector box (a rather big beast -- see picture below).   From the "B" outlet of the simple splitter is another short cable that connects directly to the "cable input" of the cable selector box.  When I use the Winegard Carry-out satellite dish, I simply push the "satellite button" on the cable selector box. Naturally I have to assure the Winegard satellite dish has gone through its automatic "satellite search sequence", the DirectTV receiver account is up to date and powered up, etc. to get a picture on my inside television. 

When I connect the motorhome to the cable output of an RV resort/park docking station, I push the "cable" button on the selector box to view cable channels provided by the RV resort.

The motorhome also has a 2007 era Winegard "bat wing" antenna which does an OK job of acquiring over-the-air TV broadcast signals.  The cable from the bat-wing connects to the  cable selector box.  If I want to watch local channels during an LSU football weekend, I simply push the "antenna" button on the cable selector box (which has a power source / button for the bat-wing antenna).

Yes my cable wiring system is original to the motorhome and nearly ten years old but works well providing satellite, cable and over-air antenna television.  Hope this info helps!

============================================================

2007 Era -- Winegard RV Cable Selector Box

th?&id=OIP.Mebf71aadc7e71edf786a918b222247f3o0&w=248&h=185&c=0&pid=1.9&rs=0&p=0&r=0

On 1/4/2017 at 8:47 PM, Jl22l said:

Kaypsmith, Thanks for the feedback. I have a cable hookup in the coach. The product I am trying to hookup is a Dish Tailgater with a Wally receiver. I hook the Tailgater into the coach and the Reciever to the tv. Something is preventing setup from finishing. 

BillAdams, I have to turn my OTA antenna booster off when I hook to cable. Cable comes in fine, but satellite will not connect. 

I have contacted a technician to come to my coach for help with this issue. I have hooked this system up every way possible with no luck. Thanks again for your assistance. I will let you know what the issue was. 

JL22L

That is correct.  You should not be able to use the cable input connection if it goes to the wall plate I mentioned and you confirmed.

When the coax connection goes to a "box of many buttons" (BOMB) then things are dramatically different.

However, you can modify the wiring going to the back of that wall plate, add an A/B switch and run a new cable from that location to where your receiver is located assuming they are near each other.  Let me know if that's the case and I can give you some wiring information.

Thanks for all your feedback. My wiring had to be reconfigured and my satellite antenna switched from Direct to Dish. Working great now. Mama is a Happy Camper again.