ccutaia1

FMCA Needs To Do Much Better On Michelin Tire Prices

So far I have priced Michelin tires for my SUV & Southwind RV and both times FMCA has gotten blown out. For the RV Michelin 235/80/22.5 FMCA's price was $555.00 for just the tires, I have out the door pricing (mounting, & balancing) for $545.00. 

My SUV 235/60/18 FMCA's price for just tires was $197.00, I paid out the door $197 ea plus was eligible for the $70.00 rebate.

3 hours ago, ccutaia1 said:

So far I have priced Michelin tires for my SUV & Southwind RV and both times FMCA has gotten blown out. For the RV Michelin 235/80/22.5 FMCA's price was $555.00 for just the tires, I have out the door pricing (mounting, & balancing) for $545.00. 

My SUV 235/60/18 FMCA's price for just tires was $197.00, I paid out the door $197 ea plus was eligible for the $70.00 rebate.

Welcome to the forum. Hopefully when the Continental program comes online it will provide some leverage to improve the Michelin advantage program. When I was buying the tires for my CR-V I learned there are several "levels" to the Advantage program. You can start your own program. While I wasn't in the market right now I ran the price for 255/80/22.5 XVR Price from dealer was $594.34 price through FMCA $503.10. I can't find the quote for the other ones but it was about half the savings as the 255 tires. I agree there doesn't seem to be a set % discount.

Bill

First of all, FMCA has no say as to what Michelin sells tires for. The prices are set by corporate, not FMCA. Just so you know, FMCA covers all expenses to administer the program meaning that FMCA pays for all advertising, credit card processing, etc. In other words, FMCA does all the paperwork and gets nothing for it! FMCA receives ZERO money from Michelin when tires are sold to FMCA members. Yes, it is possible to get a better price elsewhere, it depends on the dealer in your area.

When the Continental program comes on board, they will assume all costs to administer the program plus pay a percentage of tire sales to FMCA. Last word I had was that the legal papers were in possession of the legal department and the program should be available sometime early 2017.

Yesterday I bought 6 Michelin XZA2 275 70 22.5 tires for my motorhome. The tire lookup table list them at 509.81 (FMCA Price + FET Tax). Does this mean 509 for tire PLUS the excise tax or 509 INCLUDING the tax? I ask because my credit card was charged 3384 for 6 tires which is 564 a tire. When you use this price plus installation charges I saved 41 dollars over what the dealer quoted me before I told him I was a member of FMCA.

tire cost.JPG

tire charge.JPG

The total charge on your CC out the door would include the mounting and balancing fees if applicable. That information should be listed as labor and materials on you billing invoice. plus any taxes on the invoice as well.

The 509.81 includes the FET Tax.

Rich. 

Looking at the top invoice I see a different designation on 4 of 6 tires...why?  You have 1 XZA 2, 1 XZE 2,  1 XTY 2 and X in city Z.  I feel you have been ripped off by one or the other!  Your steer tires should be the same designation and you drive tires should also, all be the same !

I'm confused.

Bill, the Continental Tire program was in effect before the Rally in the Valley!

Carl 

22 minutes ago, manholt said:

Looking at the top invoice I see a different designation on 4 of 6 tires...why?  You have 1 XZA 2, 1 XZE 2,  1 XTY 2 and X in city Z.  I feel you have been ripped off by one or the other!  Your steer tires should be the same designation and you drive tires should also, all be the same !

I'm confused.

That isn't an invoice.  It is a screen shot of the Michelin Advantage price quotes.

The price for 6 XZA2 Energy should be 509.81 x 6 =$3058.86 For the tires only - unless they mixed the stiles.

So what tires did they put on ?

The price listed for the TN. outlet of $367.08 - is it for the XZA2 Energy? I have to believe that is a price with no F.E.T

Rich

The price of 367.08 is for the total labor of putting tires on, dismount/remount, remove/install, computer balance each tire (X6 tires) . The tires are billed by Michelin.

39 minutes ago, manholt said:

I'm confused.

Bill, the Continental Tire program was in effect before the Rally in the Valley!

Carl 

I got 6 XZA2 Energy tires, same all around

When I got my new set of 8 in August of 14' I paid a federal tax of $340, no sales tax in OR.  $435 was total labor to shop, including balance and a replacing a valve stem.  Steer tires are 315 other 6 are 295....I'll let the next owner figure out where to get new DOT 295's.

Carl

The price quoted from FMCA is only the tires.  There are so many additional charges that what you thought you would pay is no where near the final cost.  You are not told in advance what any of these charges are but instead you get a bill from FMCA that includes all of the charges for the tires PLUS whatever charges the dealer added.  It is such a very misleading program BUT you do save a few bucks compared to doing it directly without FMCA.  So, what's so bad about that?  No, it's not clearly disclosed what your final cost will be but your final cost will be less than not using the program.

What I did was I got a price from the dealer, basically an out the door price. Then with the price from the dealer and the price of the tires from Michelin I had a pretty good idea of the price and savings.

I think having the Contentel program will help put preshure on Michelin to lower their prices. 

Bill

Bill, Michelin has high price due to advertisements...they got to cover cost somehow!  BF Goodrich and Continental don't have much coverage...Oh, forgot, it's all part of the Michelin group! :P

I looked up both yesterday and got both on each others International Corporate Group page.  Headquarters, French