wcporter

Kia Niro- Towable With Oiler?

I really like the new Kia Niro hybrid.  Unlike most hybrids, it doesn't have a CVT.  The owner's manual says it can be towed a short distance at low speed four down. Anyone know if the restriction is due to lack of oil or some other reason?  I wonder if an aftermarket oiling system would work...

Walt

Walt, welcome to the forum. The FMCA towing guide shows it to be towable (manual transmission) but  Remco show it to be towable on a dolly only. They only show the Kia Rio and not the hybrid. With the owner's manual saying no I would be looking at something else. There maybe something with the "Hybrid" part causing problems.

Bill

I saw no mention on the Kia Niro in the 2017 FMCA Towing Guide.

The Forte, Rio and Soul were mentioned as towable 4 wheels down with manual transmission in the January 2017 FMCA Magazine and on-line.

Walt, Welcome to the FMCA Forum!

The Kia Niro hybrid looks like an urban concept car from the information. With electric drives, most have a problem when being towed, because the electric motors are connected directly to the wheels. The motors use DC power and the strong magnets generate current levels that can damage the motors or wiring when being towed 4 wheels down. One could always trailer one.

Rich.

Thanks, Rich.  Most hybrids have a Continuously Variable Transmission, which obviously wouldn't work, but some, like the Ford C-Max and Fusion Hybrid are flat towable.  I want a car with a hatchback. If the C-Max wasn't so ugly and got better mileage, I'd consider it.  I currently tow my Prius with a dolly, but it has 270K miles and I'd rather flat tow.  

Walt

1 hour ago, wcporter said:

Thanks, Rich.  Most hybrids have a Continuously Variable Transmission, which obviously wouldn't work, but some, like the Ford C-Max and Fusion Hybrid are flat towable.  I want a car with a hatchback. If the C-Max wasn't so ugly and got better mileage, I'd consider it.  I currently tow my Prius with a dolly, but it has 270K miles and I'd rather flat tow.  

Walt

Walt, I had a 2017 Ford Fusion 2.7 ecoboost for a rental over the holidays I was impressed with the car and it had a pretty big trunk for it's size. I would put it in the mix if I was looking to replace my CR-V.

Bill