bobbyks

425 Cummins Diesel Won't Start

I have a 2008 Mandalay, Freightliner chassis, 425 HP Cummins.

Tried to start, battery weak used the battery booster, something clicked but would not turn over, dash meter battery indicator shows about 12 volts.

Can not get engine turn over nor will the 10 kw generator, all chassis services not effective.

Any suggestions?

bobbyks, Have you ever changed the batteries? 

The fact that both the generator or the Cummins will not start and the chassis batteries are the primary source of starting power for both engines. I would check the voltage when trying to start the the generator and the chassis engines. A voltage reading of below 11.5 volts would indicate weak batteries, there is the possibility of corroded cable connections, but it takes a lot more current to start the bigger engine.

Rich.

Do you have it plugged into shore power? Do you have access to power for a battery charger? What do you mean by "all chassis services not effective"? How old are your batteries? What kind of batteries, lead acid, or maintenance free or other? 

As Rich said I would clean all battery connections including grounds.

We need this information to make suggestions relevant to your situation.

Bill

I suspect the batteries are too weak to start the engine or generator, I am hooked to 50 amp shore power, the batteries are maintenance free. My concern was did I short something out by trying to use the booster start. The outside temp. today when I tried to start was 40 F, the cranking power seemed weak with temps.in the 80 F. All connections seemed tight and clean, I have friend coming to check actual voltage and hook a hook up a charger.

21 minutes ago, bobbyks said:

I suspect the batteries are too weak to start the engine or generator, I am hooked to 50 amp shore power, the batteries are maintenance free. My concern was did I short something out by trying to use the booster start. The outside temp. today when I tried to start was 40 F, the cranking power seemed weak with temps.in the 80 F. All connections seemed tight and clean, I have friend coming to check actual voltage and hook a hook up a charger.

I am leaning toward  bad batteries too. How old are your batteries? No you didn't do anything that would hurt your batteries.

I don't know if the deal is still running but I bought new original equipment start batteries from Freightliner for $69.00 each. I would call and see if they still have them for that price.

Bill

Thanks Bill, the batteries are about four years old. My son owns a construction company and has a supplier who supplies batteries for his heavy equipment, may get a write off .

What are your house batteries? If they are 6v lead acid golf cart, I would check the water level. Find out why your inverter isn't charging your batteries.

Bill

I have four house batteries, just had them  replaced two weeks ago the water levels are good and show fully charged. I was told when hooked to shore power the starting batteries would not charge.

The question now is why didn't, at least your generator start with the house batteries connected using the switch. By the way if I need to use the house batteries I need someone to push the start or hold the switch. On my coach the battery connect is a temporary switch and I can't reach both switches at the same time.:huh: Gotta love people who design coaches.

Bill

11 minutes ago, bobbyks said:

I was told when hooked to shore power the starting batteries would not charge.

I would look into that. Most coaches have a connection where after the house batteries are at full charge they ill charge the start batteries. What makes me think something is wrong is most coaches start the generator off the house batteries. Some have an auto start system to start the generator before the batteries get to low.

Bill

Bill, I have the same problem, I have to get some one to hold switches while trying to start engine with booster switch. I am going to try some things tomorrow, its 29 outside ( too cold for south Louisiana ). With possible week batteries I think the cold weather is not on my side.

If you are going to try to start the main engine I would turn on the block heater tonight if possible. but at least a couple of hours before.

Bill

Engine started, RV Tech came by ran electrical check, started tapping on starter while I engaged ignition, she fired off. I kept it running and took it to the shop. Still puzzled why the generator would not start, tech said could be a relay, they will do a complete electrical check up.

Sounds like you got a bad starter switch.  Did  you change out the house batteries yourself, 2 weeks ago?  The reason I ask, is that you might not have hooked up some of the wires in correct sequence.  It just takes one!  I had all 8 of mine replaced last September and the person who did it, took several pictures as he was disconnecting the batteries.

The other question.  Did you replace the old batteries with the same kind?  Acid to Acid or AGM to AGM.

Gonzales is not the sleepy, laid back town today as it was in the 70's and early 80', when I rolled thru, not in a RV, but a 4x4 truck.

Carl

My service shop in Baton Rouge changed them out with same batteries, acid to acid. I think you are correct about the starter switch.

If you came back thru Gonzales today you would not recognize anything, if it was not for city limit signs you don't know you are leaving Baton Rouge and entering Ascension Parish. They are building so fast we are having traffic problems.

Yea, I noticed that last year.  My best friends daughter built a massive house on 5ac. in 2015.  I wish I had bought 50+ac. on I-12, between BR and Slidell, 25 years ago!  Richard lives in Kaplan, but worked for Chevron and that's what he did, instead of a 401k !  :lol: Chevrons Covington office is sitting on part of his acreage and they don't even know it..LOL

Carl