kaelalynn

Monitor RV Temperature For Pets In Hot Weather?

We have two dogs that are left in our MH in hot weather, but as we’re on the road about half the year, mainly during the summer, we worry about the park electric going off.  (Our AC units manage to throw breakers from time to time.)  The heat in some areas could become deadly, so how do some of you handle it? 

Our rig is a 2003 40’ Damon Escaper MH with a Onan 7500 genset.  

Howdy do.

The question that you're asking a slightly complicated because you're speaking of a phenomenon that unfortunately nobody can control. Should the electricity go out there probably should be some type of Safeguard but the question is how much are you willing to spend money wise for the technology to alert you when this happens. I'm sure you're going to run into someone here that has had this happen that can give you some practical information but from a theoretical point of view I think I might be able to help you a little bit.

The easiest and most direct way to fix the problem would be for the campground to let you know if there was a power failure but they are about a power failure if it's Campground wide unless they have some type of technology and place where they can monitor each individual pedestal at every campsite.

You could also install some type of Wireless camera that has a battery backup system but the problem is the Wi-Fi may go out with the electricity unless your Wi-Fi is a cell phone connected to a continuous 12 volt source that is not dependent upon the campground Shore power.

I think the greater concern over the campgrounds in power failing would be trying to figure out why your air compressors are tripping the breakers. If I had to start throwing cash at this situation I definitely would start there.

One solution I would employ would be to close off my bedroom area and only run one of my compressors to cool The Galley and the living area and front. I would leave my dog in that neck of the woods so that I'm not drawing to much power and when I return just open the door and kick the other compressor in the rear when it's bedtime or when I'm going to spend time back there.

At the end of the day nothing beats frequent checks on your pets when the weather is extremely cold or extremely hot. If we are in Disney say for instance, one of the things we would do is leave the park at midday not only to get a break but to make sure that Ruff Ruff is okay and take him out so that he can go potty. You just have to build your day and adjust your time around the pooch because no matter what the situation is, be it a breaker that's tripped or an electrical failure you're going to have to be there to fix or remedy the problem on the coach side.  

Hope this helps! 

Two perhaps different questions:

1. How to monitor temperature.

2. How to insure that temperature does not become excessive, even in the event of a power failure. You don't say what rig you have, but an AUTO GENSET START would solve the "what happens if shore power goes out and the temperature rises" if your HVAC and generator are or can be set up for it. 

Thanks Keon for the feedback!  I don’t think I can put our dogs fate in the hands of the park help.  Some are dependable and some not so much.  Also their standard answer will likely be, “the dogs can’t be left alone.”  I’m think the answer might be, as you suggested, wifi, camera, phone combo, but I’m not sure how to go about it.  I’m definitely tech handicapped ;- (    I’m considering trying to find a way to focus a camera on a thermometer so we can phone in and look at the temp every hour or so.

My AC units don’t seem to be the problem unless the parks voltage isn’t all that dependable.  Rarely does it trip a breaker, but it does happen often.  We also had the park grid go down a few times.  Fortunately, we always there with the dogs or they were with us in the car.  We don’t normally close off a room as you suggested because we’re afraid the one AC might fail.  We usually turn down the ACs so the compressors don’t cycle on an off as much to decrease the draw on the system.  I’m not sure if turning both down or running one full speed is best.  Remember we’re talking about temps being over 100 degrees in a ten box. 

We leave them, we sure not to be gone to long, and that sure cuts on our ability to explore the area we’re in.

Chuck

Brett thanks for your response.  We’re not trying to keep the temp from becoming excessive because I don’t see a simple way to do that by remote control; we just want to find a way to know that it is rising or the electric is shut down so the AC have stopped.  If we knew that we could return to the MH before they fry or phone for help.  I’m thinking, as I said in the post to Koen, a camera, thermometer, and phone combo might be the answer, but your post made me add a step … light bulbs.  If we left two lights on that were in view of the camera, we would also have a strong indication if the electric was on or off, whereas the thermometer would tend to be slow show the increase.

Our rig is a 2003 40’ Damon Escaper MH with a Onan 7500 genset.   I’m not familiar with an auto start for the generator.  I didn’t even know the animal existed or how hard or expensive it would be to get, but worth checking into.  Thanks!

Do you have a panel from which you can start the generator or just a start stop switch.  The Oman energy command 30 is a popular controller with that gen set. That would do what you want but as already mentioned the A/C units would also have to support that function.  Might be worth checking the info on the AC units and wiring diagram.

Should you decide to check into it, Onan makes an auto-gen set start-- should work with your 2003 coach and Onan 7.5KW generator.  Our 2003 Alpine has that feature-- can be set to come on based either on low battery and/or a set temperature.  Would allow you to range further afield without worry.

I parked a guy at a rally that had a full monitoring system in his coach.  Through his smart phone he could see inside and outside and monitor temp, start gen, turn air or heat on, lock doors, etc.

Brett,

I will check on this solution.  Seems like a good answer if it will work on our rig.  I found a camera that also has a temp function, but your solution is better … maybe both.

Thanks,

Chuck

Desertdeals69, that sounds great, but I’m afraid I might be just a little too dumb to handle all that technology.  I just used my phone to take my first picture the day before yesterday  … well, maybe it was a little before that, but not by much  ;- )  But it is good to know that it can be accomplished if I get determined enough.  I’m guessing he had to wire some kind of module into each of those items?

Thanks,

Chuck

Here is a smartphone app that will actually send you a text message if the power fails.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=uk.co.sjbcomputerconsultants.powercut.free&hl=en

You can go to the website and see video instructions. I'm reasonably sure that there is a temperature monitoring app out there as well, just haven't looked for it. A very simple way to insure that you always get messages is to install a UPS "uninteruppted power source" and plug the messaging system into it.

With the power outage app a second android device is needed.

With light bulbs, well, 99.9% of the MH's operate the lights via DC power so if the AC goes out the light is still going to be bright. A portable 110vac Lamp could be plugged into an 110vac socket.  That is going to depend on what circuit breakers trip and is it a circuit breaker in the MH, or the pedestal. The air conditioning circuit usually has its own circuit breaker so a test would have to be done to see if any other plug receptacles are connected to it.

If it is the campground pedestal then the microwave clock is typically AC voltage and either goes to ":" or blinks if the AC goes out.

The more circuit breakers trip the weaker they become. It may be time to replace the breakers.  Another consideration is how tight are the wires on the circuit breakers. Loose wires will cause the current to rise and the breaker to trip.  It would be much better to get the AC system running correctly and not tripping breakers.

Of course, if a 6 hour sight-seeing trip is in order then "ruff-ruff" doggy sitting could be utilized. 

16 hours ago, wolfe10 said:

Should you decide to check into it, Onan makes an auto-gen set start-- should work with your 2003 coach and Onan 7.5KW generator.  Our 2003 Alpine has that feature-- can be set to come on based either on low battery and/or a set temperature.  Would allow you to range further afield without worry.

Can you talk about this a bit more. Specifically where to get the device from. I thought about an auto start in the event of a power failure at home but didn't know it existed in practical non home brew terms. 

I found the auto start feature more affordable by utilizing the features of my inverter/charger.  Mine is a Magnum and they offer an accessory,( mine was less than $275) that uses a communication link between the module and the inverter/charger and you program your parameters with existing man machine interface. 

You can program for auto start upon low battery voltage, coach temperature and you can also block of time for quite time to prevent generator start.

Just got mine for Xmas, waiting for warmer weather to install.

Jim

2 hours ago, HayesFamily said:

Can you talk about this a bit more. Specifically where to get the device from. I thought about an auto start in the event of a power failure at home but didn't know it existed in practical non home brew terms. 

Keon,

Just do a search for:  Onan EC-30W

Kaelalynn try sensaphone.com they have a monitor that has a built in cellphone att or Verizon. Will monitor multiple functions can be set up to monitor power, gen, alarm sys. and temp plus what ever else you can think of and also has a built in backup battery.l am setting one up in my house for when we are traveling.

Also I think it can start the gen set with a command from your phone.

Just got in and sat down; wanted to say thanks again for all the responses and I see several I'll checking into.  I want a working solution before we head out in April or May.

Thanks again to all!!!

Chucik

When I had my dog, 15 years, I always took her in toad with me.  I golf a lot and found out that most golf courses don't mind if your pet rides in the cart and is well trained...also pick up the  #2 if it happens...I was turned down twice and didn't play those days.  Lucky could not go on a cruise with me, but she went every where else...she had 289,000 air miles when she passed, R.I.P.

I would not leave a child in a RV, why leave a pet?

Carl

Chuck,

Doe a search on the words, "wireless temperature monitor with email" without the quote and you will see a lot of what you may be looking for.

As I mentioned before look up sensaphone the unit has a built in cell phone. Works with wi fi. But cell is more dependable wi fi being what it is in most campgrounds and it will call out automatically we used them at work very dependable unit and monitors multiple functions.

FYI anyone, I have a MiFi which is recognized as WiFi and I have never had loss of signal traveling 46 of the 48 contiguous United States.

Wayne.  What happened in or too the other 2 States? 

My problem with any sensor device, is time and distance, in the event all power or AC is off on a 90+ degree day, the coach is going to be in the 120+ range when you get back and you'll likely have a dead pet.  I like peace of mind when I'm away from the coach!

Each it's own thing.