Sign in to follow this  
ztrain

Inverter/Charger

I have a 2015 Allegro Open Road.

I just changed the setting on the inverter to auto/remote. I am on shore power readout is fine, but the converter/inverter continues to run most of the time should I leave it on all the time. We are newbies but learning.

Thanks for the help.

Zee train

What inverter/charger do you have?  Many have a fan than runs when their charger section is working hard.  Is that what lead you to the "continues to run" comment? 

If not, what is the indication that has you concerned?

Is it possible that by "running" you mean you hear the fan running?  If so, the inverter/charger is charging your batteries.  If you have shore power than the inverter side of the electronics are not doing anything.  If you have a "good" inverter/charger there is a 3 stage charging routine that kicks in every time shore power is lost.  The charger will start out in BULK charging until the batteries reach a certain voltage.  The charge rate will then drop to the ABSORPTION phase until the batteries maintains a certain voltage for the required time.  Lastly, the charger will drop into FLOAT stage and maintain your batteries as necessary until you again disconnect from shore power.  The inverter/charger fan may or may not run during all of these stages but will most likely run the entire time the charger is in BULK charge.

I believe it is an elite Tripp . Yes I just looked again, fan was off. I had never paid attention to it before just wondering if it was normal to be on all the time. Before I changed the setting said volts were 10 then down to 8. Then I started RV went back up to 10 for a while. Reading 13.5 now. Seems to be correct now. Thanks for you help.

zee

Zee,

You need to take it to someone who understands 12 VDC and RV's.  10 and 8 volts says something is VERY wrong, assuming you are on shore power.

When you CONFIRM what inverter or inverter/charger you have we can be of more assistance. It should have a model number on it.

Only time, I have had an 8, was a dead cell and battery was toast...stand corrected, it was 8.7, but still toast.  Even if it reads 13.3 inside you need to check the battery with a voltmeter and look at each cell for fluid level, if you have acid batteries.

Carl