bobandwendy1972

Should You Get Extended Warranty On New Motorhome

My wife and I will be getting our new Nexus Viper in April.  The motorhome comes with a (1) year warranty.  Is it worth the money to purchase an extended warranty while the unit is still under the original (1) year warranty?  

Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your new coach. In a word no. I think you would be better off putting what the extended warranty cost in a savings account. I would read and understand the manufactuers warranty. Follow maintenance requirements to the letter and keep good records. The most important thing is go have fun with your new coach.

Bill

That would be my recommendation as well.  If you miss the recommended time for an oil change or lose the receipt that is your proof, the warranty company is off the hook on their contract.  They have lawyers to enforce the provisions in the contract.  If you are a very good record keeper and pay strict attention to your maintenance, it might work for you.  For my money, I'll skip the extended warranty and pay for repairs.  This doesn't even count the problems you have with repair shops that won't deal with some companies because they are slow to pay or won't pay except for certain parts in a repair, etc.  So, yes I tried it once, never again.

Bill and tbutler are right on they have been at this longer than me, but I will add one thing. Just bought our dream RV  on Dec. 10th ,dec25, broke down in FL. Took it to a cat dealer, give them the warranty, no problem he said. When they called me 3 days later thay handed me a bill for 3506.17.  Told me they couldn't get in touch with my warranty people. Must be on vacation, they said. Well guess what, just like tbutler said they found a way not to pay. So even if you do everything you are supposed to do, it's only as good as the shop doing the work.

Bob. welcome.

Put the money in a savings account or buy short term Bonds.  Enjoy your coach and pay as you go!  You'll save $$$ in the long run.

Carl

I lost the HEUI pump last summer after Road mec good Sam insisted on first, tow in and parts that weren't covered (hardware and gaskets) they paid everything they were responsible for. I used Milton Cat in Milford mass. It was towed in after hours when I called next morn they were already on it had it back next day they also did a full diagnosis on engine said all was within new specs. Was treated great by Milton cat. Total was a little over $4000 they paid all but just under $2000. so far I have broken even on the extended warrantee.

It's a throw of the dice.  If mine was an 04, I would probably have your policy also!  Happy that it worked out and your on the road again or able to get on again!

Carl

Congratulation's! I Googled it and that is a nice looking Motorhome.

Keep in mind the chassis has a 36/36 warranty through Ford and from my experience you wont use it or if you use it wont be often (if it is still being built on the Ford E-Series chassis). I had that same chassis (few years older) and the only time it saw a dealer was for chassis related recalls.

Good luck and best wishes with your new coach

CW send me a card, letter and yes a heavy envelope almost every week offering me their Good Sam extended warranty. "The Lord almighty couldn't give better coverage than Good Sam." or so they say. :o

So I gave them a call and man were they happy that I responded to their ad campaign.:D Then came the questions, name, address, contact number, email and then Make of Coach-"Monaco", Model-"Dynasty", Length-40 foot, mileage-109,235, year-2002, "WHAT! :o we can't write a policy on a coach that old, you just wasted our time by even calling." It was like HOW DARE YOU!.:angry: I was still laughing when they hung up. But never fear I still get the offers to purchase their extended warranty. I plan on next to collect at least several months of offers, put them in their return envelope with per-paid postage on it. They have to pay the postage based on weight of the envelope. Now that is fun.:lol:

Herman

HAHA, when I go to the store they always ask if I want to renew my warranty or roadside assistance, my response is always the same...."Renew, I never had it in the first place".

I get this look :huh: and they say "Never mind", have a nice day.

I also get AARP in the mail, I called them and explained I am not old enough, the guy on the phone.... classic..."but you own a motorhome are you sure you are not old enough" ? :lol:They kept sending it, so I filled it out.... they declined me, that put a stop to it, apparently the phone call wasn't enough...

We are suppose to be paperless, to be green and save the trees!  I'm guessing that 75% of the world never got that message!  Then there is the National election, none of the tree huggers were paying attention to the mountain of mail I got...:wacko:

I get extended warranty solicitation on every car, truck and coach that I don't have anymore, including the ones I have!  I'm on a no call list, that don't stop them either!  :angry:

The forever stamp goes to 49 cents next month!  Man, our postage is cheap!!! :wub:

Bob and Wendy,

I have to disagree with the ones who said it isn't worth it.  It depends.  I bought one 8 months after we picked ours up new.  It was a 7 year policy.  We have more than paid for the lump sum premium we paid up front.  Like double.  I am glad we had it.  After factory warranties are up repairs can get very expensive.  Just our experience.  We have Xtra-Ride.  They had paid out well.  Our RV repair shop says Good Sam is the best for them to deal with, fwiw.

Don

Any warranty that pays out double the premium will be bankrupt very soon.  It's really a roll of the dice.  The warranty company bets that you will not have any major claims and you are betting that you will.  It's nothing more than an insurance policy and the company hopes there are more winners than losers.

I am not saying that you should or should not but if you are a believer in insurance, maybe you should with the understanding that if you never use it you have a good RV and you should be happy about that.

I want to thank all of you that replied.  We are looking forward to getting our new motorhome in April.  The first few replies seem to refer to the Ford engine & chassis.  I was more concerned about the parts in the motorhome; IE: refrigerator, HVAC, etc.  It seems to me these are more likely to have issues than the E-450.

If it is a new coach everything should have at least a year warranty. How much are they wanting for the insurance? I would put that in the bank and if you don't need it add to it next year.

Bill

It seems to me every time I used the Good Sam Extended Warranty it cost me money anyway.  $50 deductible and every part was not covered for some reason.  TV switch, door latch.  A lot of things they did not believe were bad (shocks).  It was a used MH less than 2 years old but it had some problems, I guess I should have figured out why it was a good price.  I just replaced it with a coachman a little bigger and I will use their warranty and then self insure.