andrea1131

Should We Buy Or Should We Run

Having put a down payment on a 2009 Forest River Berkshire 390BH diesel pusher with over 110,000 on it. We have discovered only one company that will write an extended warranty on the power train.

Questions we have as we are about to become first time motor home owners are:

1)  Any of you out there every had a motor home with over a 100,000 on it and if so what is typical  to go wrong?  Brakes and pads?  Any estimate to have that taken care of?  Where do most of you take you Class A for mechanical repair?  

2)  If it were you would you run from this unit (it is a 2009 but the dealership is updating with 2017 Forest River decor) feeling you bought it at a good price, would you pay the $3,500 for 1 year power train coverage or just bank it and have it there for potential problems since it would not cover brakes etc

3) Anyone from the Denver or Colorado Springs area that would recommend where we take this RV once we drive it back from Elkhart, IN to Colorado to have it inspected so we feel confident to be on the road come spring.  The dealership we are purchasing it from says they have gone totally through it but we weren't born last night.  A bit nervous hitting the road for 1,000 miles in a Class A 40 footer though we have had experienced with hauling long trailers.

4) Also, realizing we have to drive through Chicago after about a 2 hour crash course of driving a Class A, would you suggest going through Chicago on the Interstate after 9 pm and once through Chicago pull off for the night, or attempt in the daylight during heavy traffic?  Just asking to get experienced drivers opinions.

Please be candid - we can take it.  Thank you for all input if it comes sincere.

Andera1131,

Welcome to the Forum. 

100,000 miles on a well maintained diesel is OK. Check the dates on the tires if they are fairly current say only 2 to 4 years old and you can look at any service records you should be alright. 

As for Chicago I would find another route around it. 

Good luck,

Herman 

Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your new coach.Are you hiring someone to look over the coach before you buy it? Be sure to check the date codes on ALL the tires. You don't want to be replacing all the tires right away. 7 years is the standard most go with. 

If reasonable care and maintenance was done I don't see a problem. 110,000 is a low mileage engine in diesels. You were asking about what might wear out and you mentioned brakes. I don't remember anyone needing to replace brakes on a diesel pusher. You might if you don't use the engine brake in about 250,000 miles. 

I  am NOT a fan of aftermarket warranties. Bank the money. Most of these companies are awfully good at denying claims. Later when you have time there are dozens of post about warranty company problems.

Do you have a planned route back to the Denver area? I would leave  Elkhart on I-90 West to I-80 you could just follow I-80 but if the weather looks bad you might want to drop down to I-70. I drove That route this summer and it wasn't as bad as some make out. You are not getting into the main Chicago area. I would make it a fairly short day the first day. How long do you have to make the trip back? When are you doing the trip? 

When you start out take your time, here are a couple videos you might like.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y5MSGqfh8z0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ldekjpYQ7Qw

If you have any questions please ask.

Bill

I agree with most of what Bill say's and all of Herman.  This time of year, is not spring, summer or fall, your first trip in a DP any length should not be fighting a possible blizzard and black ice roads.  I would drop down to I-40 ASAP and go across to I-25N and up thru Raton to CS or Denver!  It's a little longer, perhaps a day or two further, but your not driving  a truck and long trailer, nor a sports car...take the time and get to know your coach.  Put a anti-gel in your fuel tank.

Carl

We are in the Elkhart area now picking up our new to us coach which we just had painted.  Watching the weather with the ice storm coming I think we will leave Monday, going south to I70 at Indy then down I44 to I40 and on to Arizona.

Watch that weather and let the roads get clear. I wouldn't want to drive on black ice. You don't want to get that new paint job all scratched up.;)

Bill 

Andrea1131 welcome!

if it were me I would do some research on Forest river products first. 100,000 miles is not bad if it was maintained properly depending on the engine.

good luck with your search.

Desertdeals69, snap some photos and post them in the gallery before you drive off and it gets sloppy from the road spray.

7 hours ago, desertdeals69 said:

We are in the Elkhart area now picking up our new to us coach which we just had painted.  Watching the weather with the ice storm coming I think we will leave Monday, going south to I70 at Indy then down I44 to I40 and on to Arizona.

Desertdeals69, I hope you have a good place to stay for a few extra days till this weather pattern moves through. The routes south are getting hammered with ice.

Bill 

That storm has stalled out and it's ice rain all the way from Amarillo and North to Chicago!  I would suggest I-30 to I-20 to I-10.  I'm slowly going to AZ also, but not until the 22nd out of Ft. Stockton...this time off the year I-40 is not your friend. :o

What is "new to you??  And color?"!

Carl

The brakes don't wear out but!!! Axle seals commonly fail if coach sits for a long period then seals dry out and start leaking ruining pads. I try to run my coach every 6 weeks for at least 30 miles or more. 

Carl and Margaret 

2004 American tradition 113,000 miles

2013 Honda CR-V 

n.h. 

On 1/13/2017 at 6:39 PM, andrea1131 said:

Having put a down payment on a 2009 Forest River Berkshire 390BH diesel pusher with over 110,000 on it. We have discovered only one company that will write an extended warranty on the power train.

Questions we have as we are about to become first time motor home owners are:

1)  Any of you out there every had a motor home with over a 100,000 on it and if so what is typical  to go wrong?  Brakes and pads?  Any estimate to have that taken care of?  Where do most of you take you Class A for mechanical repair?  

2)  If it were you would you run from this unit (it is a 2009 but the dealership is updating with 2017 Forest River decor) feeling you bought it at a good price, would you pay the $3,500 for 1 year power train coverage or just bank it and have it there for potential problems since it would not cover brakes etc

3) Anyone from the Denver or Colorado Springs area that would recommend where we take this RV once we drive it back from Elkhart, IN to Colorado to have it inspected so we feel confident to be on the road come spring.  The dealership we are purchasing it from says they have gone totally through it but we weren't born last night.  A bit nervous hitting the road for 1,000 miles in a Class A 40 footer though we have had experienced with hauling long trailers.

4) Also, realizing we have to drive through Chicago after about a 2 hour crash course of driving a Class A, would you suggest going through Chicago on the Interstate after 9 pm and once through Chicago pull off for the night, or attempt in the daylight during heavy traffic?  Just asking to get experienced drivers opinions.

Please be candid - we can take it.  Thank you for all input if it comes sincere.

You don't want to drive it back to CO and have it inspected, you want to have it inspected before you make the purchase.  The Berkshire is a very good coach but how the unit was treated since 2009 makes a big difference.  You can get engine information, you can have a pro inspect the engine and chassis, the plumbing, the components, the tires and batteries as well as general wear and tear issues.  A coach with 110,000 miles is absolutely NOT a  deal breaker  (anyone who buys my 1988 coach with 350,000 miles will be very happy) but it is a deal you should take very seriously.

5 hours ago, WILDEBILL308 said:

Desertdeals69, I hope you have a good place to stay for a few extra days till this weather pattern moves through. The routes south are getting hammered with ice.

Bill 

We are inside a heated shop until it the weather clears up.

Mamholt, what don't you understand. Axle seals dry out at the top of the seal if not driven. Then when driven they spin on axle. Ask Chris at Spartan. He can explain it it to you. 

I fully understand that part, but I did not pick up on that question from OP, after re reading his concern, I can now relate...sorry, my bad.

I do wish we knew how long it's been there?  3 or 4 months is no problem, several folks who live up North, leave their DP's sitting outside thru winter.  Year after year!  Ask JLeamont, he's in PA.  ObedB is also in PA.

Carl

This time of the year any vehicle where Joe and Obed live have axle (aka wheel bearings) with lube that has the viscosity of the LaBreaTar Pit in L.A. :o

Sorry couldn't resist.:wub:

Herman

I check mine in the spring when I crawl under it to lube the chassis and brake system. This and the last coach sit from November through March. So far never had one leak in 9 years. 

If you have that many failures someone is missing something, improper torqued hub, damaged seal surface. I have trucks at work that will sit for a year pushing a million miles (not original axle seals) but none the less they sit until we have a void somewhere with a bunch of new trucks that break down or a recall where a group of units have to be parked, and they get sent out on the road for a few days. I've had engine oil leaks, can't recall a wheel seal failure, guess it's possible.

Herman.  Thanks, I needed that as a reminder of why we live in Texas!  LOL :wub:

Joe.  After 49 years off motor homes, can't agree with you more!  Someone dropped the ball....again! :wacko:  I'm more interested in knowing if it's a C9 or C9S engine?  Due to the mileage, I'm guessing C9.  As BillAdams said, have the inspection done first...(Joe, your backyard). :lol:

Carl

Carl, the engines you are referring to were equipped with Exhaust Particulate Filters.  

Ha, when Doug brings his Allegro Bus over for his annual service it gets a bit tight. Ours is currently residing on its pad along side of the garage so at the moment there is room. 

Jleamont, no I've never had a axle seal problem either. Just passing along something I learned while up at Spartan in charlotte Michigan. I saw several coach owners get the bad news that there axle seals are leaking and will need new brakes as a result. When coach is sitting only the bottom of axle seal is in oil. The top of seal dries to axle and can get damaged when coach is finally moved. I will continue to exercise my coach every 6 weeks. All the best

carl