jleamont

Kitchen Backsplash

Anyone replace the kitchen backsplash in their coach? I am looking for ideas, designs and products. We had a small section of mirrors behind the cooktop, I removed them two years ago and installed the stick on rubber tile. It keeps falling down so now it's time for a change.

Any ideas, links or photos would be appreciated.

Thank you 

Joe, I am replacing the mirrors in my coach with stainless steel tiles, bought them at Lowes, they come in one foot square backing. They are brushed stainless and look very professional. These can be attached to the wall with urethane adhesive then grouted with your favorite color. https://www.lowes.com/pd/Stainless-Steel-Brick-Mosaic-Metal-Wall-Tile-Common-12-in-x-12-in-Actual-9-76-in-x-11-73-in

Also if you remember my bathroom, I used mirrored stainless steel in there and we love the fact that there is no glass to crack.

Brett, Kay.  That's some pretty neat stuff, thanks for the link....I have a unglazed tile and it's a bear to keep clean! B):(

Carl

Kay, I do remember that now that you mentioned it, that looked great! 

I like the old stores that had the metal celling's with a pattern, and thought about something like that on the walls in place of the mirrors...and I got the look, guess that's not going to happen.

I used "Smart tiles" the first time from Home Depot and they stuck great until winter sets in then I find them on the counter. DW asked me to pull all of the mirrors out of the coach that are on the walls and I am looking for some ideas for that as well. The one in the photo below has me concerned, I think its glued to the wooden wall and all I can imagine is glass shooting everywhere trying to remove it. I guess we will have to take a trip to Lowes or Home Depot again, I guess I will just push the cart :lol:.

IMG_2133.JPG

Joe,

Any time you remove a mirror that is stuck/glued to a surface there can be broken glass.:o Try applying Gorilla clear tape, or even duct tape to the entire mirror. It will still break but the tape should hold the shards to a minimum.

Let us know how it turns out.

Herman

Brett, that is the correct one, it's stainless over ceramic, and is applied just like any ceramic tile, I used gray grout with very high polymer so that it doesn't crack and fall out, I used a common ceramic wet saw to cut to the proper size.

Joe, home depot has a product that looks just like those old tin ceiling tiles, but is made of plastic, and lowes has one that is on a roll that looks like wallpaper until put up with wall paper supplies and can be painted to your favorite color before hanging. My nephew used this on an entire feature ceiling and it looks great. The wallpaper product is in the wallpaper section at Lowes, and don't forget to use the paper glue that is made for bathroom and wet/moist area's.

Herman, the shards are really a mess because the mirrors are tempered, after the first one removed I used your method and that works very well, but I had to cover one mirror at a time so that I could get the putty knife behind the individual mirrors.

Your question as to ideas for the mirror backsplash - we actually had a mirror backsplash in our last coach (Monoco) and instead of removing it, we actually had a beautiful stained glass made to fit the mirror and attached the stained glass directly to the mirror - it really changed up the look and it held for 30K miles before we traded out coaches. 

51 minutes ago, RSBILLEDWARDS said:

J

Take a look at Rvillage.com site and visit the Restoration forum several great idea and how to as well.

Bill Edwards

Bill, Welcome to the FMCA forum :lol:, long time......

Thank you I will check that out.

Mirrors removed/ must be a woman thing. My DW insists on covering the one overlooking the dinette with a large calendar. I like them because I am so handsome ???and they add depth to a coach. 

2 hours ago, obedb said:

Mirrors removed/ must be a woman thing. My DW insists on covering the one overlooking the dinette with a large calendar. I like them because I am so handsome ???and they add depth to a coach. 

YUP, she has been bugging me since we bought it.

:lol: Well, she does have a sense of humor, but I don't think it will stretch that far! :rolleyes:

Joe.  All you got to do, is offer to keep all the mirrors spotless and some how or another make her look the way she thinks she looks, prior to looking in the mirror!  Good Luck..:ph34r:

Carl

Kay :lol:

Carl, I do keep them very clean! One day she was watching tv in the reflection, I laughed and said, look the do have a purpose. Her response was quick and priceless. "So do you that's why you are still around, once they are gone I'm taking your seat so you can turn around" :o:lol:

Me; nope, I will install another TV, she laughed, It will be one that looks like a picture frame :ph34r:

So far everything we like requires mastic and grout. I am apprehensive to do that on a coach, house ok....not on a motorhome. I keep picturing it falling off or the grout cracking and falling out.

Thoughts?

How about brushed stainless steel cut and broke to fit. I used a brushed stainless steel sheet behind the stove, its attached with a urethane mastic, been there 5 years now and looks very good. Also there is plastic laminate, Formica, is a brand, there are others.  Many styles and colors to choose from, and contact cement if properly applied will not let go, no seams to fill if you go this route. E-mail me if you need instructions for application, you know what I did for a living for 21 years before computers.

If it works as a countertop or floor, it will work on a wall !  My backsplash is the same tile as the floor! :D 

Carl 

I put tile over the mirrors and grouted over four years ago and it is just like new, even driving on Michigan roads.  If anything would shake it loose they will.

You can also, buy stencils and spray on frosting...Rustolium has it in a spray can, then just remove the stencil ! :wub: 

I found this on the web, looks like a winner. I tried all options and she wants stone or metal tiles as Kay mentioned. While the stone doesn't weigh much, hanging it on the wall really concerned me as you never know the road you are going to encounter until you are on it.

http://www.flextile.com/index.htm

I was struggling with self sticking stone (peel and stick) or glue and grout. After finding the link above I may just go that route, glue them on and grout the products above.

I have heard of this method before but never used it. I will be trying it in the near future as I still have some of the stainless tiles to be installed in the bathroom. The beauty looks like it can be applied right over the mirrors, this will eliminate the need for removing them.