jleamont

Kitchen Backsplash

On ‎1‎/‎31‎/‎2017 at 11:13 AM, manholt said:

Joe, you don't need 7 years of bad luck ! :o You already have 3 women..:lol:

Carl

:lol: thanks Carl for reminding me :lol:

Obedb, after the age of 39, women are opposed to mirrors, they like remembering how they once looked!:P And Carl, I also had a house full of three women, wouldn't trade that experience for a million bucks.B)

I have enough trouble with one girlfriend, 3 woman, I would be drawing pictures in a cave by now! :ph34r: Maybe that's why there are pictographs in caves...men driven nuts!  :lol:

Carl  

10 hours ago, manholt said:

I have enough trouble with one girlfriend, 3 woman, I would be drawing pictures in a cave by now! :ph34r: Maybe that's why there are pictographs in caves...men driven nuts!  :lol:

Carl  

:lol:

All of the pre grout work is done. Here are some before and after photos. Now keep in mind the installed tile is grouted within each section only, once complete I have to grout between each tile section.

before

IMG_3193.JPG

Old photo of what it looked like with the rubber tiles last year. From the factory there were Beveled Mirrors here. I removed them two years ago. DW don't like mirrored interior.

IMG_2154.JPG

Joe, great.  Now tell the good folks here, that you are not the guy in the picture...good luck with that. :lol::lol:

19 hours ago, manholt said:

Joe, great.  Now tell the good folks here, that you are not the guy in the picture...good luck with that. :lol::lol:

Carl, I AM NOT THAT GUY :lol: Only you....Only you :lol: At the rate I'm going I'm also not the guy from the photo last September :P

Thanks Blake!

Great Job!!!

the video is amazing, makes it seem easy. Did you use his products? Where did you find them.

Roland, thank you and I did use his products and I pre-grouted the tile then installed it. I colored my caulk as he only sells white. If you should ever tackle a job like this purchase tile that is all the same material, and NON glass bead filled some of mine were also peuter not tile. So when you grout with silicone it sticks to those and is a real pain to clean after.

One trick I messed with and figured out I'll share.

I took an old tube of caulk I had in the garage, emptied it into the trash with the gun, blew compressed air backwards through the tip and pushed the plunger out, cleaned the tube out, mixed my rubber grout and filled the tube, put the plunger back in and applied the finish grout with the caulk gun. It worked perfectly.

Carl as I am already in the dog house I figured I'd let her have one round and took them off the counter. No need to poke the bull :wacko:

Joe,

How did you cut the tiles? Especially around the window. Did you apply a sealant or is it not necessary?

Thanks,

Roland 

Roland, I used a wet saw with a tile diamond blade. The curves around the window were tricky. I actually had to hold a 1"X1" piece of tile with pliers and gently nick it with the blade to make a curve. They sit just below and around the window frame in case it has to be removed with the rubber grout between the tile and the frame. No sealant needed, most of them are glass and the ceramic ones are polished. 

Joe, a cake decorating bag with a round tip, "several sizes available", will work very well and is less trouble than your trick, although yours is very ingenious.;) Your job looks great.

Joe, excellent mod (as always)!  We like the colors you chose.  How did you finish the tile run towards the end of the cabinet near where you keep your remotes?

Blake

Kay, I tried with the bags my wife had and it didn't work well, the grout was too thick. A smaller higher quality bag may have worked.

Blake, I just ended it and used the grout to make a ramp to the wall paper. My plan is to locate a piece of tile that is 1/4 round. I have to go shopping for it. No tile stores around where we live.

Joe.  really nice!  But, I'm a multi color (blues, greens, red, yellow and tan) guy!  To dark for my taste...but then again it will hide the stains until another day! :lol::P