debbie100

Tow Car Brake Question

I would like to know if any one can offer  some personal information regarding RoadMasters,  BrakeMaster Model 9160, vs. the product that M & G Engineering makes which installs under the hood. I like the idea that M &G's product fits directly to the master cylinder and that the braking action is not affected by the lack of a brake booster (vacuum). It seems that it would take less effort to apply the brakes, and not have to go thru a non operating vacuum booster, as RoadMasters product does. Also, nothing has to be removed/installed each time you head out. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. Ron. 

Welcome!

I have had Brake master, nothing wrong with them except having to remove from brake petal before use of toad.  I have had the Invisi brake and it worked OK, but my foot kept running into cable each time I drove toad, then last year, at Perry, GA. FMCA rally, I had the M&G installed.  I'm very satisfied with this system and the ease of hook up or un hook is so nice.  No effort and very durable, have had to make no adjustment to it and I really abuse my toad in the Mountains of NM and Colorado!

Highly recommend it.

Carl

I've used the M&G Engineering system (including the break-away) for 7 years on a Chev Malibu, 2005 Jeep Wrangler, 2014 Jeep Wrangler and a 2016 Jeep Wrangler. Its a real proportional braking system. 

Debbie,

I am most likely M&G's most avid spokesperson. To me it is the best braking on the market today, bar none.

That being said there is one draw back, it will not work on all vehicles. If the Master Cylinder can not be moved 4 inches from the Power Brake Booster it can't be used. Moving just that short of a distance may cause the Master Cylinder to hit the hood of some vehicles.

Still, to me, it is still the finest braking system on the market.

Herman  

I agree with Herman, The M&G, once installed, is so simple to hook up, only a coiled hose with quick connects to store when not in use and no effect to cars braking system. I had to move battery shelf forward on my 07 Liberty to allow space for the cylinder but that was nothing major. 

Debbie, we started out with a Blue OX patriot (box on the floor) I bought it used and thought I was doing myself a favor. I got tired taking it out and in, running it through the set up, then trying to find a spot for it when you arrive at your destination.

I installed the M&G system in our Jeep and I love how simple the connection is to the coach and the installation for that matter. I did opt for the breakaway kit also. I also like that I didn't have to drill any holes in the body for cable mounting or any wires to route to the interior. Just a genius design!

Joe, If you get to a national rally go to the M&G booth and visit with The Owner, and designer of the system, Leon Meadows. He is in his 90's and is still very active. They will not be in Chandler but Monty said they will be in Indianapolis. 

His story about the design is so simple but interesting. 

Herman

Mr Meadows ia an extremely nice gentleman and super intelligent. I stopped by their place in Athens, TX,  to say hi to Monty and Mr Meadows happened to be there. If you ever get the opportunity and he offers, take a tour of his coach.

I have had M&G on 3 toads including my current Jeep Liberty and 2 different full size extended Chevy Vans.  There is nothing as quite, easy and dependable as M&G as long as there is one available for your tow vehicle.  I had to have the battery moved in my 2012 Liberty as well to get the M&G to fit but I wasn't doing the work so it was just a matter of letting the installer take care of it.  I have about 15 years of experience with the M&G product and it has always worked perfectly.

Air Force one system has a cylinder that mounts inside the vehicle with a cable that is connected to your brake pedal, and from the price I saw its pretty salty. It doesn't compare to the M&G at all as Air Force One has components in side the car and has a computer under the hood. M&G has neither.

One dealer that I have used and trusted for many years when it came to my braking system as dropped M&G and now uses Air Force One exclusively (unless requested otherwise).  The installation appears to be easier and it can be done on many more vehicles than M&G.  I did get an M&G installed on my current Jeep but I would not have any qualms about installing the Air Force One after discussions with my installer.