rfsod48

Solar connection to battery

When connecting solar panel to battery will it be connected to charger/converter? I have a Xantrex 480 inverter. Would proper hookup be solar panel to controller to chassis battery to maintain over winter? Since chassis batteries are hooked up to inverter will this also charge house batteries?

Usually the inverter/charger is only connected to the house batteries.  You could use an isolator and hook up the solar charge controller so it would charge both sets of batteries.

Not familiar with a Xantrex 480 in an RV application. The 458 is a very common Xantrex inverter/charger.

And with very rare exception the inverter is hooked to the HOUSE battery bank, not CHASSIS battery bank.

As long as the solar panels (with smart controller) are hooked to the batteries (most common to hook them to the house battery bank, that bank will stay charged. In your area, would have to keep snow off the panels for them to function.

There are then several ways to keep the other battery bank charged:  Small separate solar panel oe one of the "smart thief devices" such as Xantrex Echo charger.

On an inverter/charger that doesn't charge the chassis batteries, would it be possible to make a removable small gauge jumper from the House Batteries to the Chassis Batteries to be used while camping for an extended time, say 10 to 15 days?  

Herman

If my main interest is charging the chassis batteries should I hook the solar to them. my inverter is the 458, had brain fart in previous post! We never boondock so house batteries are not as important. I know they are needed but when RV is in storage I have them disconnected.

Roland 

Typically the solar is connected to the house batteries, in your case the chassis batteries with a Smart Charger as there is no chance of over charging. In all that I have read nothing has ever been referenced to hooking the solar to the inverter/charger. 

Why disconnect them in the first place. Leave them connected, direct solar to house batteries and install an echo charger as Brett suggested and all will be maintained in great condition. If you want to disconnect the chassis batteries from the system, remove the primary ground at the chassis. The batteries will still charge as desired, reconnect the ground and drive away.

Bill Edwards

1999 455 Panther

Bill. Happy belated everything!

Where have you been?  Thought you fell of the edge of our planet...:( have not heard from you since the Chili Cook Off in PA. this past summer!  :PB)

Carl