kstaf4d@att.net

Intermittent Generator Fail When Engine Running

Bought our 2005 Beaver Monterey in late June 2013 and picked it up at Alliance Coach in Florida. When we did our walk through we had problems with generator remaining running when engine was started or running. This was late on a Friday, wife was sick and needed to be back in Reno, NV in 5 days. Mechanic could get them to run together by bypassing the BIRD (I was new to motor homing and in a rush, everything else worked OK). Mechanic said when we get to Reno go to either an Onan or Cummings shop and the warranty would pay for repairs. 

We've now had our MH for over 3 years and had the generator serviced by various facilities, all authorized Onan facilities, and each time after one or 2 days operating properly the same things will happen. Either start the generator or start the engine and after 30 seconds the generator will shut down with a 27 code.  This happens whether I start the generator at the dash, generator or Xantrex control panel.  

Thursday last week we just had it serviced, again, at Alliance Coach and when we left there it was operating properly. When we got down the road about a 100 miles and stopped for fuel in the afternoon I wanted the AC on to cool the coach and the gen and engine would not sync. Yesterday I was trouble shooting the problem and the first time I started the gen at the gen then started engine it synced.  Ran it loaded for 5 minutes with both ACs on and electric heater working.  Turned everything off and cooled gen down for 5 min.  Went inside started eng then gen at the dash and again they synced.  Loaded them up again and shut them down. Then after 10 minutes I attempted to start them at the Xantrex control panel and this time they would not sync. I cleared fault codes at both the Xantrex and dash and still could not get them to sync. When I attempted to start them the last time the Alladin Electrical screen was showing that the Auto Transfer switch was attempting to connect to shore power first even though I had disconnected from shore power.

What am I doing wrong or?  After several services and multiple techs looking at this problem, and it showing the problem or working properly I'm lost. (I know there goes my man card)

Welcome to the forum.

I don't understand what you mean by having the main engine and the generator sync. as "gen and engine would not sync".

Fault code 27 is Controller unable to sense output voltage. This could point to a bad stator or controller or just a bad connection. Have you/the people checking it checked the stator output voltage.  The stator output voltages. Should be 20VAC RMS across each phase while cranking. Don't crank the generator for more than 30 seconds. If the phase voltage is good it would point to the inverter/converter unit.

The last part makes me question the auto transfer switch.

Someone with more knowledge on this will jump in soon.

Bill

I'm with Bill.  The engine and the generator really have nothing to do with each other and there is certainly nothing that would be In Sync or Out of Sync when talking about the 2.  Could you explain what's going on?

Thank you all for responding. I understand that the eng and gen do no share anything except fuel.  What I mean by syncing is that once either of the engine or gen is started then I attempt to start the other, the gen will only remain running for approx 30 sec before it starts to oscillating and then the gen will shut down showing a fault code 27 at the dash switch and a w209 code at the Xantrex control panel. 

Im so frustrated because this happens intermittently.  Like this morning.  I cleared the codes at the Xantrex, then cleared the codes at the dash switch and cleared the codes at the gen.  I started the gen at the Xantrex control panel let it warm up for 5 min, then started the engine.  No problem, ran both for over 10 minutes.??????

Sounds like a fuel problem to me.  The fuel sloshing in the tank may cause the generator fuel pick up to suck air.  I would start by temporally installing an alternate fuel source to the generator to see if it solves the problem.

Jim 

Thanks again to all you who offered great starting points to check. We're on our way to S Cal and when I get there and have a spot at my nephews place I'll start doing all the checks as suggested. Luckily it's winter time and I "shouldn't" need the generator while moving. 

Thanks again and be safe.

Semper Fi and God Bless America

Even in the Summer I don't need a generator while driving.  Glad to hear you will find a place where you can do some trouble-shooting.  Let us know what you find or if you end up with additional questions.

The description in the OP leads me to believe that there is an excitation problem, especially since it is intermittent and seems to be happening with the fact that the chassis engine and the generator starting close together. I don't know the model of your generator which would be helpful in looking up technical info, but the code is telling you there is either low or no output voltage, the genset will auto shutdown with this condition. Low or no excitation can be caused by, a faulty control board, a loose connection between the control board and the brushes "if your genset" has them, a problem with the brushes properly seating on the armature at startup, a bad or burned spot on the commentator, or even weak voltage in the starting battery. My first place to try to eliminate would be the battery, simply remove the generator from the current battery source and hook it to a known good battery, with new battery cables. This of course will eliminate cables, battery source, and possible loose grounds before the generator. If the problem persist after this has been achieved, then a competent repair facility should be engaged.

On an old Wini Chief we had I had the same problem on an Onan 6500 marquis gasoline. Ended  up being the voltage regulator had to to take unit out of coach and take it apart to change it. It's under a cover on the generator wasn't a hard job to replace and part wasn't too expensive.

Waiting to hear back from the OP. Told him what the fault code was and how to troubleshoot it. Next we will go into how to adjust the muffler bearings to get them in synke.;)

Bill