ajshepherd

We Have Been Assigned!

We were contacted by the FMCA volunteer manager for the March Rally.  I'm very excited that our assignment(s) for both Sheri and me are to be Golf Cart Drivers!  I'm hoping that's means that we will see more of the attendees throughout the entire event.  Hope you all can make it, and we get to meet a bunch of new friends along the way.

Why is anyone excited to volunteer for a for-profit company?  I just don't get it.  If I volunteer my hours the corporation will make a lot of money.  This is not a charity, it's just a business.  Maybe you could volunteer at Chick-Fil-A.  I am sure they would appreciate it just as much.

You don't understand Bill, FMCA is NOT a for profit business. If you volunteer your time FMCA will not make a lot of money, in fact, it might just break even on the costs of staging a convention. You obviously have no idea what it costs to put on a rally or a national convention. Convention centers charge for everything. You want a chair, that costs, you want a table, that costs, pipe and drape costs, and would you believe some caters will charge you $40 per gallon of coffee that you will drink at morning coffee hour. You are a captive audience and it you want to use the facility, you pay. FMCA is an association run by the people (executive board and the governing board) for the members benefit.

dons2346.  Nice thought, but we, FMCA do make $$$ on Conventions, dues and merchandise, like logo shirt, jackets, hat's, etc. Since FMCA don't get grant money, how do you think we are able to pay salary's to all the FMCA employee's...they volunteer?  Not !  When you use the FMCA RV Park at Headquarters, you pay, it's not free and we have a very large building to maintain, pay taxes, etc.

I see the P & L, every year!

Carl  

Pretty sure there are a lot of folks drawing salaries larger than mine at FMCA.  Every volunteer helps keep that money flowing.  If you can't run a convention and make money doing so then you are doing something wrong.  The vendors get charged a pretty penny to rent those booths and the RV dealers pay for every square foot along with registration fees and the add-ons mentioned above, there is money being made somewhere.

I agree with all sides of this discussion however I applaud any member who volunteers or participates at the rallies. 

It goes a long way to ensure the future sustainability of FMCA, including the member rallies, benefits, and overall fun! 

PS, if FMCA didn't make a profit, then there would be no cash to pay for this website/forum for all of us to enjoy!

Websites like this can also be (and usually are) a very profitable businesses.  Ad supported income can be very large as the ads shown are for a very narrow demographic making those wanting to advertise willing to pay a high price.  Nearly every view will be from a potential customer.

Yes.  I volunteer, because I have the time and enjoy meeting people!  I'm a volunteer for Lions International, Elks and Shriners International as a member of all.  Why do I do this Bill?  Because I care!  Have the time and the money!  By the way, money is not a bad word ! :)

Carl

manholt,

Do you know that the FMCA clothing  line has been farmed out? Do you believe that money was made at the Pomona,CA convention when there was less than 1,000 in attendance? As far as the Round Bottom Road campground, you do get two days FREE every month. It is possible to stay there for the last two days of the month and the first two days of the next month for a total of four free days in a row! I know all about the salaries of the staff, I know all about the travel allowances of the executive board. Did you know that the ex board went off the per diem and are now reimbursed for camground expenses? Instead of the 35-45/day per diem, they are now reimbursed for the total cost of a campground. 75/night no problem. 90/night no problem

I too am a national director and have been since 2007 and have been to everyone of the governing board meetings so I also see the figures and I spend a lot of time looking at them.

What is your opinion of the executive board giving $250,000 to RVillage? This was a non budget item and was not approved by the GB. As it was not a budgeted item, it should have come before the finance committee which it did not. Check the mintes of the finance committee in your last GB book.

Don't think we will be back to Pomona any time soon, or at least I hope not...they have become way to expensive and we both know why!  Not much I can do about RVillage and I'm not a happy camper!  I had heard about the clothing line.  I'm certainly glad that we now have all this $$$ to throw around...we didn't have it in 2014, so something must be working! B)

I know you have been around and rather high on the pecking order.  I have held to many offices in my time and do not wish to fight Politics any more, therefore I'm quite happy to stay as a little old National Director, from a Chapter that don't demand much and most of them know more about what's going on than I do! :)

All of which begs the question:  What will happen after July 12?  If your in Chandler, look me up!

Carl 

My hats off to those that volunteer and appreciate those that do. If for nothing else, it will help lower the cost of putting on the conventions, and that in turn probably helps lower the costs for attendees. What goes around usually comes back around. Thanks to volunteers!:rolleyes: