debbie100

Motorhome Insurance

Reading up on my Farm Bureau insurance exclusions, I noticed that "loss due to tire failure" is not covered. That could mean a very expense repair, up to and including, the total loss of the coach. New tires, tire pressure monitoring systems, etc. certainly help, but I was wondering if anyone has a "reasonable" insurance policy that would include damage due to tire failure? Like Farm Bureau, really good rates and coverage, except for this exclusion. Any suggestions?

I can't answer your question but I sure as heck will be checking my coverage! Pay thousands for insurance one would expect to be covered for normal issues and a tire certainly would be normal, I don't know of too many vehicles that don't have them! Not like were adding on some super zoomy race accessory!

Thanks Jim. I checked Good Sam and two other companies and they all have, if you read the mouse print, (the exclusions real carefully) NO COVERAGE for ANY damage caused by tire failure! Read real carefully. It leads me to believe that our only option would be to go after the tire manufacture, IF the tire is still covered by their warranty, AND if the tire companies warranty covers consequential damage to your vehicle. I guess in closing I'll have to say Good Luck, to all of us!!

Debbie 

I have F/B insurance. I called my agent and asked about coverage from tire blow outs. Dave called his home office and he assured me that we were covered for any damages to the coach or tow vehicle due to tire failure.  He did state that tire was not covered. 

Please call your agent and ask him if you are covered. I would like to know what his answer might be.

Herman 

Herman,

As we "speak" , I'm looking at my current Farm Bureau policy.

It says in black and white, EXCLUSIONS: We do not cover loss to property for the following: Any LOSS due to tires or tubes unless the loss is caused by fire, windstorm, or theft,

or is coincident (say you hit a rock, a road hazard, etc.) (still not covered) with other loss covered by this policy. I like my agent, nice guy, but when push comes to shove, he is not the one who is out the possible tens of thousands dollars, like you and me. Other policy's I've read say pretty much the same thing. I did have ONE (my agent) out four insurance agents I spoke with, (different company's ) tell me NO, damage due to tires, is not covered. The other three said "Oh, I'm sure they are", but would not send me any information so I could read their exclusions page. That is a little unsettling, but when you look at from the insurance companies perspective, they sure haven't paid for all of their twenty or thirty story mega office buildings, by paying out expense claims !! The tire companies, the same, read their warranty's. Oh well ..............................:(.   Hope this helps.

Sometimes things are to good to be true!  Everything has to have a disclaimer these days.  Too many stupid's or cunningly dumb folks out there, looking for a lawsuit.:(:P

On 1/25/2017 at 2:08 PM, debbie100 said:

Reading up on my Farm Bureau insurance exclusions, I noticed that "loss due to tire failure" is not covered. That could mean a very expense repair, up to and including, the total loss of the coach. New tires, tire pressure monitoring systems, etc. certainly help, but I was wondering if anyone has a "reasonable" insurance policy that would include damage due to tire failure? Like Farm Bureau, really good rates and coverage, except for this exclusion. Any suggestions?

AAA insurance has always been the cheapest for me and no exclusions  

Cost is in direct proportion of the Type, size, year and cost or value of coach.  Same as a car...Bentley is $4,200 a year, Jeep is $1,200, coach is $2,400.  First 2 are with USAA, coach is State Farm.  Also it depends on the amount of coverage and deductible.

AAA may be good for 210driver, but I would not know, as I and you don't know what kind of coach he has...A, C, or B.

I read through my Progressive policy which has the following Exclusions language "Coverage under this Part IV (Vehicle Damage) will not apply for loss to any vehicle that is due and confined to road damage to tires".   I contacted Progressive and the rep I talked to said that Progressive won't replace tires that are damaged by a pot hole.   If the motorhome is damaged by a tire going flat / blow-out, Progressive will pay for body and/or frame repairs but will not pay for a new tire....

Mike.

Same thing with my Policy.  I have had Progressive and was happy with them, but they kept charging me for a much higher value than my coach is now worth...I told them that if they had someone that would pay me $290K, send them over! :D

National is also good.  That's what Linda has on her 40 Phaeton!

Carl

Carl,

I never let an insurance company set the value. I tell them what I want it insured for. My house is not exception, let alone any of my vehicles.  When the send me an annual letter with an increase I call them and change it.

We have a 'declared value' on our policy for our coach. As we found out after our collision last year, that number (whether they set it or we do) is simply a ceiling. It means that they will pay up to the preset value. It doesn't guarantee that you'll get the full amount in the event of a total loss. What we found is that after the total loss, they will pay an amount which they consider to be the fair market value (or whatever verbiage your company uses for this) up to the preset limit. However, their idea of fair market value and our was not quite the same, and it was a heavy lift to convince them to bring their number up to our. We came pretty close but it was not easy.

On our new coach we are working with an appraisal company, as as soon as the final upgrades are completed in a few weeks we will be having them write an official appraisal to keep on file. This is being done so that we will be able to demonstrate the fair market value of the coach prior to any incident or collision. Our (independent) insurance agent suggested we do this to make any future claims less difficult. I imagine that it will be necessary to update the appraisal every couple of years, at least.

I have posted this before but I believe it is worth posting again.

In 2008 we purchased a new motorhome.  We had Progressive on our 5th wheel so I stayed with them.

My policy:

In the first 5 years I would get full replacement cost.That is, if anything happened to total it between 2008 and 2013 they would replaced it from the same manufacturer for the year it was totaled.

After the 5 years they would pay the full value of what you paid for it.

In 2017 the 2008 was totaled during the flood of Harvey. In 2017 they paid it off and gave me the difference of the total I paid for it.  It was enough to put a good down payment on this 2015 Winni.

Yes, the policy may have cost a little more than other policies but it was well worth it.

Also, in 2014 the 2008 Winni roof had to be replaced because of hail. Progressive paid the $19,000 for the hail damage less my deductible.

In 2007 wirh the 5th wheel the awning was caught by wind and go shredded.  Progressive pad the book price which is more than what the awning actually cost and I was able to upgrade to the "Pro" version.

Just Saying.

Unless there is something different in the policy, the MH insurance company will pay "insured value or book value, which ever is lower."

Wayne.  Linda has the same as you, but hers is with National, along with diminishing deductible.  Currently $100.

I'm so happy that y'all have been able to catch up to my standards, but having said that I hope none ever have the proof like I did that the insurance worked the way it should.

Looking back to the original post from debbie100 in Jan. 2017:

'I noticed that "loss due to tire failure" is not covered'.  

I reviewed my policy underwritten by National General Assurance Company, and the language is a bit different.  It reads as follows:

"Exclusions.  We will not pay for: 2. Damage due and confined to: d. road damage to tires."

I've added emphasis above with underscore.  I'm not a legal dude, but the use of "and" above implies to me 1) they will not pay for damaged tires but 2) they would pay for damage beyond tires that is caused by road damage to tires.  

This policy is thru Good Sam (purchased prior to FMCA's RV insurance capability), and I am aware that FMCA also has NG as an insurer.  I agree that this exclusion could be a real heart-breaker.  With this message, I am encouraging the FMCA RV insurance folks to run down the true meaning of this kind of exclusion.  This could be value add that an FMCA RV insurer could offer.

On ‎3‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 0:20 PM, fagnaml said:

I read through my Progressive policy which has the following Exclusions language "Coverage under this Part IV (Vehicle Damage) will not apply for loss to any vehicle that is due and confined to road damage to tires".   I contacted Progressive and the rep I talked to said that Progressive won't replace tires that are damaged by a pot hole.   If the motorhome is damaged by a tire going flat / blow-out, Progressive will pay for body and/or frame repairs but will not pay for a new tire....

I just paid for a new policy from Progressive, so I was interested in this discussion.  I pulled up my policy and "chatted" with a Progressive rep.  The rep was of little help, but I agree with those who look at the semantics of the wording in the policy.  The key word is "to" as in "to tires".  Any damage is excluded that is "due to and confined to... road damage to tires".  That is to say road damage to tires is not covered.  The rep I chatted with stated that in his opinion, damage to the insured vehicle from hitting something is covered with the exception of tires, if that was all the claim was for, but to call Claims for a definitive ruling.  I don't think it is worth the effort.