rhsjwjr

Michigan Upper Peninsula-- Diesel Availability

Question

We are planning a trip in a few months to include traveling through Michigan and across the upper peninsula.  Plan to stop in Newberry and Champion on way to Duluth, Minnesota.  Would like some input as to availability of diesel fuel for a 40 foot Winnebago Vectra along this more off-the-beaten-path route.

Sandy in Mobile, Alabama

Fill up while in the not out of the way places.  You should have about a 1000 mile range between fill ups.

4 hours ago, RHSJWJR said:

We are planning a trip in a few months to include traveling through Michigan and across the upper peninsula.  Plan to stop in Newberry and Champion on way to Duluth, Minnesota.  Would like some input as to availability of diesel fuel for a 40 foot Winnebago Vectra along this more off-the-beaten-path route.

Sandy in Mobile, Alabama

I was up that way last summer. I drove us-2 across from St Ignace. I don't see a problem finding fuell. I start looking at 1/2 tank. Gasbuddy is your friend.

Bill

BillA.  His tank is 100 gal.  Generator kicks of at 1/4 tank...even if he used all fuel (about 90 gallons available) he could not get close to 1,000 miles.  My tank is 150, I got 913 miles and ran out of fuel, a friend followed me with fuel.  Now I'm comfortable, knowing that it's time to start looking at 600.

WBill.  Your correct, I also use Gas Buddy and Trucker's Friend.  I can't get in to 90% of gas stations...so  I use Truck Stop's and some regular stations that has truck fill up in back.

Carl 

The campground we used, Frontier Bar & Campground had gas  and a set of truck diesel pumps with easy acess. What was fun there are lots of jeep and 4 wheeler trails in that area. It would be nothing to se 5 or 6, 4 wheelers lined up getting gas.

Bill

One of these day's...but when I go, I would like to have at least a month! 

This year I don't, but next year I'll have about 4 month's to do that part of America and New England.

Carl

22 hours ago, RHSJWJR said:

Sandy in Mobile, Alabama

Sandy, Like others we made the trip from Niagara Falls across Canada to Mich. then up to St. Ignace then around and back down the other side.  I also start looking at about 1/2 tank.  It 2011 when we made that trip and I didn't have any problems finding diesel fuel and places for my 40' with TOAD to pull into.

Go for it.

6 hours ago, WILDEBILL308 said:

The campground we used, Frontier Bar & Campground had gas  and a set of truck diesel pumps with easy acess. What was fun there are lots of jeep and 4 wheeler trails in that area. It would be nothing to se 5 or 6, 4 wheelers lined up getting gas.

Bill

We stayed here two years ago, Bill. The most memorable part of the stay was the first space we pulled in to had a huge hornets nest hanging right in front of our windshield; we moved post haste. Don't worry about fuel, I've not driven anyplace that I couldn't find fuel at least every 50 miles unless it was in the Jeep running the wilderness of Big Bend.

RHSJWJR - we traveled thru that area  last year- Mackinaw / Newberry / Saute St Marie etc. and no problem finding diesel. Numerous places and like the other folks have stated - gas buddy or the like is your friend.

Hard to find a Black Box Wine south of Ft. Stockton! :P:D  Groceries, if you do find it..it's expensive!  :o  So is fuel. B) 

10 minutes ago, manholt said:

Hard to find a Black Box Wine south of Ft. Stockton! :P:D  Groceries, if you do find it..it's expensive!  :o  So is fuel. B) 

I think we payed over $4 for a head of iceberg lettuce at the gas/food store in Terlingua and dang glad to pay it since the nearest grocery store of any size is in Marathon, 100 miles one way. The nearest Spec's is a lot further, Carl.

Carl, I'm going to save you some driving, there is one in Kerrville.

I can't help but notice the OP has never been back so I guess we can assume they ran out of fuel and are walking the back roads looking for a station.

Hate it, when that happens!  :angry:

The next time your in the Big Bend area, go to the general store in Lajitas...it's owned and operated by the Resort...can't miss it, the Mayor lives next door!  They have a deli and carry stuff you normally find at HEB.  Prices are very reasonable....so is the Maverick RV Park, next door, full HU, wifi, cable and a club house with pool. $35 a night.  Room at Resort start at $395.  Oh, Mayor of Lajitas is a goat ! :lol::rolleyes:  The Resort covers 37,000 acres and has daily flights to Dallas!

Carl