rfsod48

Upgrading Motorhome - New or Used?

We are considering upgrading our Motorhome and are not sure what way to go. New or used?

Our current unit was used when we bought it. I want to get something at least a little newer with a bath and a half.

We want to stay under $200,000.

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated. 

Google PPL, they have 3 locations in Texas.  Just noticed where you live and the closes to you for a large and varied choice would be Indiana.

Carl

rfsod48,

Just as an example, Motor Homes of Texas has a 2005 Travel Supreme, 45 foot, tag axle, 4 slides, 500 HP Cummins, 4000 Allison and with a 12.5 KW Onan. All for $124,000.00. Beautiful coach. I would really think about this coach for us if we were looking to upgrade.

They also have a number of Foretravels under $200,000.00, even a beautiful Newell in your price range.

One really nice thing about MOT is the way they show their units on their website. Plus they have some great folks there. Give their site a look see.

motorhomesoftexas.com 

Herman

If I told you I was more of a Buick kind of man rather than Cadillac what brands would you recommend? After seeing the Foretravel ( which is beautiful ) I think I will be able to get something for more like $150,000.00 want to stay more the size of our bounder which is 38'. 

I have never figured out why an RVer wanted/needed a bath and a 1/2?  Do you have visitors in your coach on a daily basis and don't want them to see your bedroom?  Seriously, this is not sarcasm, I simply don't get the whole 1 and 1/2 bath thing.  Please explain!

We have a disabled son who travels with us sometime and it would much better for him at night. Also my other son sometimes takes the RV and he has three women to deal with! 

Roland 

3 hours ago, rfsod48 said:

If I told you I was more of a Buick kind of man rather than Cadillac what brands would you recommend? After seeing the Foretravel ( which is beautiful ) I think I will be able to get something for more like $150,000.00 want to stay more the size of our bounder which is 38'. 

What you are geting with the Foretravel is Cadillac quality at Buick price. Well if you want to move down the scale.

http://www.mhsrv.com/2016-sportscoach-cross-country-404rb-w-4-slides-bunks-bath-amp-1-2-used-diesel-pusher-tx-i1991062

This is anouther good place to look.

http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/diesel/diesel-motorhomes.php

Bill

Personally, I would buy the higher end coach for several reasons if its in your price range;

1. first is the quality of construction and materials used to build that coach are far superior than the lower level coaches.
  2. superior engineering of the product.
  3. resale value
  4. it will out last the lower end coaches and give you less headaches, because of #1 and 2.

Just my thoughts on this :)

Bath and a half, makes sense for a family, or if you travel with grand kids.  Now, to me, it makes no sense in any coach less than 40 foot (and 40 is pushing the limit), I have seen it in 35 foot gassers, but that's a tight fit unless your a midget.  I guess it would be nice to have, if two people get Norovirus at the same time! :P

I fully agree with Joe's recommendation....how many times have you seen an OP on a Foretravel, Prevost or Newell? 

BillA, agree with you also, for our circumstance.

Carl

We recently upgraded from a 2002 to a 2007 Fleetwood Revolution 40' with 1-1\2 bath. We are very happy with that decision. The quality of the Revolution put the newer low budget coaches to shame. The extra 1\2 bath has been wonderful. She had hers and I mine. When the granddaughters are on board it's priceless.

Bill Adams, in response to your question about a bath and a half, I must say that, at first, I had the same thoughts. We have a 45 ft Allegro Bus with a bath and a half and I wanted to turn the half bath into a pantry. Then the day came during a long road trip when we needed to use the bathroom while going down the road. Suddenly, we realized that, if we wanted to use the master bath, we needed to climb across our king size bed to do so. It was then that we learned the value of the half bath. It is also used by guests and sometimes for extra storage space.

To answer the  OP's original question, used is the way to go.  Get a higher quality used coach for less than a new lower quality coach.  That way you have a coach with more amenities, broken in, bugs worked out (hopefully), for less money.

No Bill,

Still looking and getting info and prices for doing major upgrade to our current 2005 Bounder, Much cheaper than changing MH but no 1/2 bath. Only concern with present coach is most of it's life has been spent in Michigan with outdoor storage in winter. I wonder about rust to chassis and other components.

Roland

I would try to find someone who could do an evaluation before spending money on upgrades.

Texas Custom does nice work on upgrades.

I like my 38N but have seen some amazing used coaches on the market. I am extremely happy Motorhomes of Texas sold an older Newell they had.:P 

Bill

We will be traveling back thru Texas when we return home from Arizona, would Texas Custom be able to do such an inspection or would I be better off to go to Indiana in the spring for a factory inspection if they do that?

Roland, if the coach came from the north or the "Salt Belt" as we call it over here is really only a concern if it was driven in those conditions. Parked in storage wouldn't be a concern of mine. Our coach was purchased in North Tonawanda, NY new in 2001 and resided in Rising Sun MD (still not a good area for winter). It couldn't have been driven in the winter, it has no chassis rust whatsoever. I looked at a 2002 American Dream before we purchased this coach and it had soft cross members underneath and holes in metal as far back as the engine surround. A good inspection should be in order either way.

Good luck with your searches.

11 hours ago, rfsod48 said:

We will be traveling back thru Texas when we return home from Arizona, would Texas Custom be able to do such an inspection or would I be better off to go to Indiana in the spring for a factory inspection if they do that?

I would contact them directly 888-761-4225 or on the web https://www.texascustomcoach.com/ This would give you a chance to talk about upgrades as well. I believe manholt has had some repair work done there you might send him a message.

Bill