rfsod48

Upgrading Motorhome - New or Used?

On 1/25/2017 at 7:38 PM, rfsod48 said:

We are considering upgrading our Motorhome and are not sure what way to go. New or used?

Our current unit was used when we bought it. I want to get something at least a little newer with a bath and a half.

We want to stay under $200,000.

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated. 

If you are still interested in purchasing a used motorhome, we have a 2011 Itasca 42QD, tag, bath and one half with only 30,000 miles on it. This coach is a Non-Def fluid coach. Price is $ 190,000.00. Been maintained by Cummins since coach was new. Reason for selling -- we bought a Town Home in Fl. Coach is in Lakeland Fl. now. Our phone # is 313 - 580 - 7256 --  FMCA # -- F111711 

Bought A 2014 Fleetwood Bounder  35K floor plan.  It has a bath and 1/2.  Came down to this and Tiffins with a  similar floor plan.  Bought at year ending model switch over and got a good deal.  Both coaches new would be in your price range but agree with a lot of the comments about buying a used one - at your price point should be a lot of options.  We are very happy with our Bounder but having a manufacturing background I believe in good engineering and Fleetwood is in middle of pack. 

11 hours ago, pcowen said:

Bought A 2014 Fleetwood Bounder  35K floor plan.  It has a bath and 1/2.  Came down to this and Tiffins with a  similar floor plan.  Bought at year ending model switch over and got a good deal.  Both coaches new would be in your price range but agree with a lot of the comments about buying a used one - at your price point should be a lot of options.  We are very happy with our Bounder but having a manufacturing background I believe in good engineering and Fleetwood is in middle of pack. 

Welcome to the world of Bounder. :D Please put your coach in your signature.

Bill

Roland.  My 2 cents worth.

My current coach, I bought used.  Chassis and engine is December 2009, Coach January 2010...I thought at the time that I never wanted another DEF engine (I had a 2011 Allegro Bus).  Well, I was wrong.  I never want an diesel engine, that's newer than an 2006 again.  Mine has the Particulate Filter and it goes into regeneration mode about every 4,000 miles and still scare me each time.  The #1 and #2 exhaust, goes from about 500 degrees to 1,200 + for 12 minutes, then drop back to 500!  :o:angry:

I was a TCC in Pipe Creek, TX.  2 weeks ago, they removed my door awning, filled the holes, sanded, painted and 2 coats of clear, they also replaced my dishwasher front panel that came off...$374.  Since I'm a regular customer, I get a $5 an hour discount on labor. Normal rate is $75 an hour and $80 for Custom work, like new cabinets. :wub:  When I was getting ready to leave, one of their Custom built Prevost came in for service, a 2014, H3-45, wish I could throw 2 million at a coach...:P

Anyway, give Dave Miller a call, I would re do what you have!

Carl

Thanks Carl,

I think that is what we are going to do, just upgrade our current  coach for now. If we make the plunge to full time then we will move up.

Roland

Carl, those rates are really cheap.  REV main factory or remote factory rates are $140/hour, my closest Freightliner dealer are $110/hour.

2 hours ago, FIVE said:

Carl, those rates are really cheap.  REV main factory or remote factory rates are $140/hour, my closest Freightliner dealer are $110/hour.

They do high quality work too. Go look at some of their conversions. 

Bill

fsod48,

A friend of mine had the cabinets redone in his Monaco several years ago in Ohio. He found an Amish shop that did really great work. The next time I see Steve I will get the information and post it here.

Also, Motor Homes of Texas has just begun to do remodels. Don't know the quality or pricing but if they are equal to everything else they do it should be quality work.

Herman

On 2/12/2017 at 0:02 PM, WILDEBILL308 said:

They do high quality work too. Go look at some of their conversions. 

Bill

Don't follow you, Bill.  Are you saying REV and FL do conversions?

8 hours ago, manholt said:

FIVE, Bill got a little lost.  I think he was referencing me about TCC in Pipe Creek...:huh::blink: 

Okay, thanks.

Roland,

If you're going to remodel your current coach, and if you decide to redo the floors, I highly recommend Ernie Eckberg in Weatherford Texas.  His nickname on this site is Erniee,

You can see a detailed description of how he converted our tired floors into a beautiful floor using engineered wood in the Coach Modifications section of this site.

Blake

Go pre-owned, let someone else take the two year of frustration having all the issues that have to be addressed with the poor manufacturing in todays coached. Not to mention the desperation. Close to 30% or more in 2 years.

But, and just my opinion, they haven't made any good quality coaches since 2008, the year that so many went bankrupted.

New coaches with all the Bling and poor quality are not for me. I like the Beauty and Quality of an Older coach, just like me.  :wub::) 

Herman

Herman.

Totally agree!  Even a new Newell has lots of problems & that's a 30% loss out of the lot, on a custom 46 foot.  We both know one in Lone Star!

On 1/25/2017 at 4:38 PM, rfsod48 said:

We are considering upgrading our Motorhome and are not sure what way to go. New or used?

Our current unit was used when we bought it. I want to get something at least a little newer with a bath and a half.

We want to stay under $200,000.

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated. 

Well, if you want to save money, I would definitely look for a three to five years old coach that has been well maintained and meets your requirements.... It almost never pays to purchase brand new...the depreciation schedule like automobiles is very steep... just me.. Good luck..