fagnaml

TPMS Storage When Not in Use / Reactivation

As I mentioned in another post, I received a TireMinder TPMS system from wife and kids for Christmas.  The owner's manual left me with a fundamental question and no answer --> "How to store the transmitters / monitor when not in use?"   My toad (a 2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited) is my everyday commute to/from work vehicle in Houston.  As such I most definitely would not leave the transmitters screwed to the end of the Jeep valve stems.   While I trust my "neighbors" at the RV storage facility, I don't know if I trust them enough to leave $45 each transmitters attached to the motorhome tire valve stems.  Additionally, the owner's manual states battery life for the transmitters is ~one month. My wife and I use the motorhome mostly for long weekend outings every 4-8 weeks when it's not LSU football season when we use it every one to two weeks.  My thoughts about "storage and reactivation" between motorhome uses are:

• Remove each transmitter, then remove the battery and place both is a small ziplock bag that is labeled for each tire position
  • use the supplied alligator clips to disconnect the signal booster from its 12 volt supply

Before a new outing, install the transmitters on their original tire positions.  The TireMinder monitor is supposed to "remember" the transmitters even when the monitor is turned off. 

Is the above a reasonable approach?  Your thoughts and guidance please!

Mike, I leave mine all year, but the coach is at home. I think if it were me I would mark them with a Sharpe, so you can put them back in the proper position, place them in the coach and pull the batteries out. Our system the batteries last a year, some have made it almost two. As far as the toad goes I remove them since its my DW's daily driver when we return from a trip and mine are marked and in the Jeep glove box. The last toad just sat, they stayed on.

Mine stay on all year on coach, last an avg of 30 months...never heard of anybody losing them due to theft !   Don't have them on Jeep, see no reason to.

Carl

Thanks for the prompt feedback!   I'll try leaving the transmitters on the motorhome tires and only remove them from my Jeep.

My reasoning for having transmitters on the Jeep tires is based on the experience of my wife's uncle and aunt this past December.   The "uncle/aunt-in-law" have owned motorhomes for 20 years and are from the Longmont, CO and retired about five years ago.  Each year since then they have ventured on a month long trip through the southern states on their way to Arizona for January-March.   While traveling from Baton Rouge to Katy, TX to spend a day with us, the left front tire of his Jeep "picked-up" a needle-nose pliers.  He didn't know the tire had a problem until the tire blewout and he could see the Jeep bouncing around in his rear view camera.   Based on his experience is why I asked for transmitters for my Jeep.

I have TST TPMS and I leave the TPM's on all year both on the coach and the TOAD.  I do have to take them off the TOAD when using a pull-along car wash because my Low Profile Vogue wheels let them stick out a little and the rails of the car wash can pull them of ripping out the valve stem. (Go ahead, ask me how I know.)

In the past two years or so I have only had to replace one sensor's battery. I have never had one stolen and I don't know anyone that has.

The batteries of Tire  Minder transmitters seem to last at least a year, mine are left installed all the time.  I replace the batteries about once a year.

Every time you remove them and take out the battery, you have to re calibrate them when you install again.  Mine are compatible with my Silver Leaf.  Also, I can't remove the battery, I mail mine back to factory and they send me 8 back.

Carl

I can remove the battery from my Tire Traker TPMS sensors and I do not loose calibration.

To be sure I keep the same position I used a silver Sharpie to label each sensor (RF, LF, RO RI, LO, LI)

so come Spring I simply reinstall batteries, after checking they are still 3.0V or stronger

and screw the sensors back on the correct position.

Thank you.  The only part of this that makes sense to me!  My coach stays in Garage for about 3 month's a year, a week here a week there.  At most a month....does everyone live in Snow country?  NO !!  We get OP's from all over the US, Canada, Mexico, etc. 

We live in Northern Idaho (Sandpoint) and will be picking up some TireMinders at the Chandler (Rally In Valley Show). Our Newmar "Hibernates" for five months during the winter so I plan on pulling the batteries, and letting everything "sleep" during the winter. Seems the TireMinders are pretty trouble free. It's 38 here today, so 80 next week !!!!! C U at the show!

Debbie, In selecting TPMs for your unit it would be best to visit several Vendors selling TPMs. Then you can determine which ones suit you best. Questions such as Can the Batteries be Changed, Can you fill the tires without removing the TPM, will the unit read both the MH and the Toad, and so forth. 

Good Luck and Enjoy the Rally!

Herman

If you have the SilverLeaf system, make sure that what you get is compatible!  I made that mistake.

23 hours ago, manholt said:

If you have the SilverLeaf system, make sure that what you get is compatible!  I made that mistake.

Great advice, I hadn't thought about that.