ptrenken

Blackhills: Car Or UTV

Question

For all you Rv-ers that travel to the Blackhills in a motorhome, is it better to haul a car or a UTV, I can't do both.

Is there a central campground were I can drive a UTV on the roads to the main attractions like Deadwood, Mount Rushmore, etc. I would think it would be cheaper to rent a car then UTV but if I could get away with it I would prefer not to rent a car.

Also what is the best time of year to avoid crowds?

Thanks.

13 answers to this question

We were in Deadwood SD last fall and you see lots of ATV's that are licensed and driving on state roads.

Didn't see any on state roads in vicinity of Mt Rushmore.

Jim

46 minutes ago, ptrenken said:

for all you rvers that travel to the blackhills in a motorhome, is it better to haul a car or a utv, I cant do both. is there a central campground were I can drive a utv on the roads to the main attractions like deadwood, mount rushmore, etc. I would think it would be cheaper to rent a car then utv but if I could get away with it I would prefer not to rent a car. also what is the best time of year to avoid crowds.

thanks

Welcome to the forum. Now I know what a OHV is and ATV but what is a utv? I  would think a good jeep would be a good  compromise. You need something that is good on the road and street legal to get around.

Don't plan on being in the area for at least a week before and a week after bike week in Sturgis,  August 7-13, 2017. Well if you like bikes it is the place to be.

Bill

Direct from Wikipedia:

" UTVs differ from all-terrain vehicles (ATVs) in that UTVs typically have a side-by-side seating arrangement, many have seat belts and roll-over protection, and most have a cargo box at the rear of the vehicle. UTVs generally have a higher payload capability and are longer and wider than ATVs. While most ATVs can carry 125 to 200 lbs. of cargo in addition to the operator's weight, UTV payloads run from 800 to 1350 lbs. above the operator/passenger's weight. The payload on a UTV is usually carried below the top of the tires - as opposed to an ATV, which carries its load above the fenders. This lower load-positioning can drastically lower the vertical center of gravity, which increases stability. UTVs come in a number of different configurations. Some have four tires on the ground, some have six or more. How these differences affect the operation of the UTVs can be confusing. Most of the functions required of these units have at least two aspects in common: the machines need to work off-road and to carry equipment. Working off-road requires the unit to maneuver around obstacles and over rough terrain. Carrying equipment requires the strength to haul a load and the ability to stay on top of softer ground. "

I have seen a number of these things running around in Arizona during the winter, in areas populated by snowbirds. They can be street legal there. Not sure about other states, but probably not. I wouldn't think that they would be very useful for on highway use of any distance over a couple of miles. I would consider them a road hazard when used on highway!

If is not licensed for on - road use just like a license on your car then you are not going to be able to drive it on any of the public roads in that area.  Street Legal as mentioned above.

UTV are generally used on ranches or big farms, to move feed, fencing, posts, etc. into an area that a tractor is to big for the environment. 6 or 8 wheelers are used in slush or bogs.  4 wheelers are also great hunting machines!  You can get them in a 48V and gas engine configuration and 2 to 4 people seating.  Cost start at $14,000.

Carl

The designation UTV stands for "utility terrain vehicle" for anyone that wants to know what it means. And many of these actually come from the factory street legal, and can be tagged in most states as a low speed vehicle, and if it is tagged low speed vehicle, it can be driven on any public road that is 35 MPH or less, it does not have to run at that speed to qualify.

Agreed.  Old stick Jeep.  Even Golf carts can be made street legal, front/rear lights, rear view mirror. Turn signal is optional.  25mph is pretty much a standard and it's not just State, but County and City...never heard about Fed!  We got them all over Galveston Island.  Hwy. 87 and 3005 is State, everything else is the City of Jamaica Beach and Galveston!

Snowmobiles, ATV's, UTV's, Mountain Bikes, Motor Cycles and a verity of 4x4's are allowed in National Forests and BLM on designated trails.  All have a symbol showing what is and is not legal at trail head.  Even horses have their own trails!   In National Forests and BLM, you do not have to be street legal, but there are restrictions on tail pipes, to prevent fire.

Carl

Many States we've visited have strict laws around the use of ATV's and UTV's on public roads.   Many do not allow it except in certain areas.  in a large number of tourist areas they are not allowed.

You could always check the local DOT website for restrictions.... 

We traveled the Black Hills for an entire summer. At no time was an off road vehicle needed anywhere. The best time to go is before schools let out or after Labor Day

Ian.  I fully agree.  Just trying to answer the OP.  Even Alaska, you can cross the Hwy in a ATV or UTV, but you can't roll down the road.  That's what trailers are for! :)

Carl

We have one of these in our park right now.  It has Florida license plates but goes nowhere it isn't on a trailer here in Texas.  They can haul it to the beach and drive it there.  Otherwise they are driving it around the park as a huge oversized golf cart!