pjfromny

City Water Connection Not Working

We have a 2005 Winnebago Journey.  We bought it used and are new to it (7 months).  We left it for a month over Christmas, and picked it up about a week ago.  It was not winterized, and was in an area not below freezing.  We drove about 1500 miles to Texas with it.  

Today, we hooked up to city water for the first time since fall.  We have been using the water tank as we travel.  Nothing comes out when we use city water, and the water tank will not fill from the connection that is both the city water and tank fill.  

We can fill the tank using the other access, and the water works fine from the tank.  When the city water is connected, water on, faucets open, no water comes out anywhere.

Its not coming out on the ground, its just not going anywhere.  We did not close anything, but is there a valve or something that could have broken?  

Thank you!

Do you have a water reel?  or just a hose that you connect to spigot and coach? 

When you say nothing comes out, what exactly are you referring to? 

Have you turned on spigot without hose attached...just to make sure you have water in?

Carl

Another thought, you should have a switch or on/off lever for a ball valve in your water compartment, that diverts water from your water pump, when your hooked up to city...separate from tank fill.

Carl

HI Carl,  we're just attaching a hose to the RV.  The attachment has two settings, one for city water and one for filling the tank.  When we use city water, and turn on a faucet, there is no water.  Yes, the source is on and water comes through the hose when not connected.  Same hose and faucet will fill the tank on the other side of the RV, and we can use water from the tank.  When we flip to "fill" on the same connection as the city water, the tank does not fill.  So, its like something in that connection is blocking water from entering.  Water is not going on the ground, its just not flowing.

Is that like a long handle that you move from horizontal to vertical?  I have had to replace them before, it's a ball valve and most are plastic, I replace with stainless steel, that I get from ACE hardware...you pay for what you get.

If it's electrical, I would think the switch is bad and not sending a signal to ball valve open/close...I'm guessing it's a manual switch.

Carl

21 minutes ago, manholt said:

Another thought, you should have a switch or on/off lever for a ball valve in your water compartment, that diverts water from your water pump, when your hooked up to city...separate from tank fill.

Carl

Yes, there's a lever that we flip from city water to fill, so it changes from filling the tank to city water.  But neither setting seems to allow water into the RV.  Its a manual switch, flips from pointing horizontally to the right for "normal" (city water) to down (fill).  It flips and feels like something moves, but water does not enter the vehicle in either position.

It's brock, can you see the lines going in/out of switch, or is it covered by a flimsy metal cover?  if the later, you need to remove cover in order to replace switch, some manual switches will have a screw or allen screw, so you can remove the handle from shaft, then there might be a small screw holding a piece of the cover in place over the valve, so you don't have to remove the whole panel...pray! 

I has a similar problem where I could 't fill my tank or get city water.  The house would run free when disconnected from RV with faucet open. Finally got camp host to check campground provided backflow prevented, found that backflow preventer was faulty.

Jim

Have you checked the place where the hose attaches to make sure no mud daubers or some other varmit may have built a nest and caused a restriction? The valve that you attach to in my bus has a three way valve, right is city, down is actually off, and left for tank fill, though not all are alike so just a thought to make sure there is not another position for your valve.

This happened to me last fall. It turned out to be the check valve. This valve keeps water from flowing out when the hose is disconnected. I took it apart and took the inside out till I could order one from Camping World. Works fine now.    ccmsm

We had the same problem. After all was done, it turned out that the last rv park we were at had galvanized water pipes. When we hooked up and turned the water valve on, a big slug of rust had evidently came out of the pipe, went thru our hose and plugged the screen at the water inlet fitting , completely shutting off the water supply.

Took it apart, cleaned the screen, and everything okay.

gaylemarlowe.  It happens.  Problem the OP has also is he can't fill his fresh tank from faucet.  You do have a valid point, especially on a reel hose! :)

Carl 

I think we can rule out campground supply since OP states he can fill his tank from a hose through tank opening.

And also rule out electrically actuated valve.  Starting from coach inlet (where he attaches hose from campground supply) first place I would check is the three way valve.

Should be something similar to this:  Ours is a Watts three way valve.  I carry a spare now since I've had one fail.  It's just a simple ball valve that should last a long time but our didn't!

Blake

image1.JPG

I am on the side that the check valve is stuck. The other thing is on the water valve if the handle turned on the shaft with out moving the valve. I only have a 2 way valve, what is the third position for? 

Bill

Bill,

I've always assumed, maybe incorrectly, that this would be called a 3-way valve (inlet, tank fill & house supply).

I hope OP lets us know what was wrong.

Blake

Blake,

There is no standard "here is how all are plumbed".

A two way valve works just fine:

Position 1= tank fill

Position 2= connected to house water line on the house side of water pump

3 hours ago, blakeloke said:

Bill,

I've always assumed, maybe incorrectly, that this would be called a 3-way valve (inlet, tank fill & house supply).

I hope OP lets us know what was wrong.

Blake

Well if it had a true OFF position I would call it a 3 way. Like Brett said. Position 1= tank fill, Position 2= connected to house water line on the house side of water pump. 

The valve you show is also a water regulator, It apparently does control water preshure to some degree. There is also a check valve so the water can't drain out when the hose is disconnected. I think this where the problem may be. Without looking at his system the only other possibility I see is the handle is not turning the valve and it is partially turned blocking both inlet and tank fill.

Bill 

Not being controversial, but 1 inlet and 2 outlets = two way valve. My coach does have a three way valve, 1 inlet, and three outlets, the third one is to a second fresh water tank, the two tanks has a cross flow, but the crossflow is a little slow to fill the second tank, hence the third position to be able to fill the second faster.