miairhead

Propane Tank Certification

Where does someone get their RV propane tank checked? Mine is a 2009 Coachmen and tank is 2008. The valve is leaking, and the dealer doing some other work has quoted me for a new tank. Of course it does not need a new tank because the valve is leaking. I have unit in Columbus, OH area and need to get valve fixed.

I am wondering where to get the tank certified as it will soon be 10 years old. I know you can get a 5 year certification, just not sure where to get this done.

It's my understanding that the motorhome propane tanks don't require recertification, they are fabulous under ASTME standards.  I confirmed this with my local propane distributed.

Jim

LP-Compartment.jpg

But I don't believe it's the horizontal DOT/TC cylinders you are inquiring about. I'm guessing you're concerned about those larger, horizontal propane containers typically found on motorhomes, like this one shown above.. 
The rules for this type of propane container are governed by ASME (American Society of Mechanical Engineers). ASME tanks are not required to be re-certified since they are permanently installed. But DOT/TC cylinders, both vertical and horizontal, because they can be removed, transported and filled independently, do qualify for periodic re-certification. 

All propane containers, tanks and cylinders, however, should be periodically inspected, cleaned and tested for leaks. All of which should be considered preventive maintenance common sense. 

This was found doing an internet search. I think it is from the RV Dr. Giving credit where it is due.

I agree with DD69, Packing nut. Had same problem with portable tank, which had to be inspected. Valve was leaking. Was told it would cost $30.00 for the valve plus $15.00 to install plus filling. I went home tightened the packing nut, soap tested the valve myself, took it to the dealer several weeks later and had it tested and filled. He asked me if it had been tested before, I said "beats the h*** out of me". Tank passed and was filled.

Herman

Certification is for portable tanks only as DD69 mentioned above. Since you tank is permanently mounted its not "portable". Beware some places will argue this point, I encountered it twice where they refused to fill it. One 18 yr old kid insisted my mounted tank (like the one in the picture above) is "portable" since the RV has wheels....I kid you not. If I hadn't found the regulation on the web (got to love a smart phone) and showed it to him and his boss. I would have been out of propane soon while on a cross country trip had it not been for the phone and my persistence.

Joe, had the same thing happen at the Flying J just down from my house, didn't have a smart phone back then. I demanded that his boss call his home office for clarification.Yep, tightening the packing has stopped mine from leaking before.