keigm

Correct Way to Charge AGM Batteries

I just replaced my old house AGM 6 volt batteries with 8 Lifeline AGM 6volt batteries.  In looking at some blogs I see it has been recommended to make sure the batteries are being charged correctly.  I am assuming the SilverLeaf on my Newmar Mountain Aire is set up correctly but am just guessing.  I would like to make sure though; what is the correct way to charge an AGM battery?

I am also a fan of Lifeline batteries-- was introduced to them in the 1990's in our sailboats.

Your Silverleaf is a MONITORING system-- it does not affect the charging algorithms.

Tell us what charger, converter or inverter/charger you have.  That is where control of the charging algorithms is done.

If a quality smart inverter/charger, you will want to verify that it is properly programmed.

Parameters you will be programming are:

Battery technology (AGM)

Battery bank size (in amp-hrs). If 8 6 VDC 220 amp-hr batteries, that is 880 amp-hrs @ 12 VDC.

Ambient temperature (if you don't have an optional battery temperature sensor)

That's what they did with both of my banks last year, also set the discharge % on Inverter...2, 4000 w Magnums. 

Carl

On the Magnum, there is the option of picking AGM1 or AGM2. One setting is for the Lifelines and the other is for "other" . Not a lot of difference in them but make sure you pick the setting for Lifeline

We use them on our boats for a number of reasons:

They can't spill

They don't outgas (unless severely overcharged)

No sulfuric acid fumes.

No maintenance.

Lifeline AGM batteries came as standard equipment in our 1995 Pacific Seacraft Crealock 37'. Been using them ever since.

Thanks, Bill.

Have had three of their boats over the decades-- one 34' and two 37's.  Somehow work had to sandwich in there somewhere!

Bill, I'll agree on that in the Med.  But disagree in the Caribbean, There are so many Islands from Bahamas on down and across, you can always find anchorage, may not be as you say "Full hook up", but then, you don't need is as much as on land...I hardly ever worried about AC, on rare occasions heat, as long as I had fuel, fresh water was not a problem! 

Brett prefers sail, I prefer power and sail...each it's own.  I prefer Cat, last one I had was a Mares, NZ built, 50 foot.  Now, I guess I'll have to order from Africa.  Dingy?  I prefer Rib.

Folks  seems we got off the subject, that said, I understand that these batteries were developed by DOD  for stuff that goes under the water AKA submarines.  Being from the North it's great that they don't freeze (till about minus 100F)  and in effect, don't self discharge .  I have 6 ea in my 08 Phaeton.  Anybody have any experience on how long they last?  I understand the "number of cycles thing" but in real world terms what can we expect as average life?

7 to 9 years. average...your getting above average.  Contact Lifeline, they have the most information!

We got off OP's direct question, because it was answered ,  We have had no feed back for almost a month!