vsheetz

Continental Tire Purchase Program Status?

It was discussed that Continental tires would be added to the FMCA purchase program at the beginning of 2017.  I see Michelin and Goodyear, but not Continental.  What is status of Continental?  Thanks!

Vince

We are still in discussions with Continental and hope to have an agreement soon. There is no date for this yet. Also, Goodyear is not part of the program, but BF Goodrich is.

Vince, I am in the process of purchasing the BF Goodrich product for our coach. Pricing was fantastic and the product looks like its big brother, Michelin (same company now).

6 hours ago, kgebhart said:

We are still in discussions with Continental and hope to have an agreement soon. There is no date for this yet. Also, Goodyear is not part of the program, but BF Goodrich is.

ah, thanks for the correction.

5 hours ago, jleamont said:

Vince, I am in the process of purchasing the BF Goodrich product for our coach. Pricing was fantastic and the product looks like its big brother, Michelin (same company now).

I see the listed tires are all load range G - I currently have load range H Michelin tires. The G provides little margin.

Not sure if BFGoodrich being like big bro Michelin is a good thing - I am one who has incurred side wall cracking...

thx

Vince

Vince.  Please, a little more explicit on the, "Side wall cracking"!   Side wall cracking is normal on all tires, regardless of brand.

Carl

36 minutes ago, manholt said:

Vince.  Please, a little more explicit on the, "Side wall cracking"!   Side wall cracking is normal on all tires, regardless of brand.

Carl

I imagine a google or search of RV forums would find lots of info.  Michelin has replaced and given $$ credit to some who have had the cracking worst or early on.

Vince

16 hours ago, manholt said:

Vince.  The good news is that they take care of it....so many others don't.  Did you get compensated?

Carl

I don't recall the timeframe or requirements for sure, I think five years, and Michelin will provide some compensation.  Mine are older (I bought the coach used).

Vince, if your tires are 6 years old or older, don't go by tread wear (they will look good and they probably are good).  Look real close at your sidewall on all tires, any cracks at all, buy new ones!  You have a lot riding on them, like you and your DW's safety and life...other peoples safety also.  This is not a warranty issue, it's just a natural occurrence in all tires from UV light.  If you want them to last as long as possible, then get tire covers and put them on every time your parked for more that a day!  Michelin is not going to pay you, your not driving a car...your covered in the same manner as a OTR truck is (Over the road)!

Look at your DOT number on your tires, post it here please. 

Carl

On ‎2‎/‎1‎/‎2017 at 4:12 PM, manholt said:

Vince, if your tires are 6 years old or older, don't go by tread wear (they will look good and they probably are good).  Look real close at your sidewall on all tires, any cracks at all, buy new ones!  You have a lot riding on them, like you and your DW's safety and life...other peoples safety also.  This is not a warranty issue, it's just a natural occurrence in all tires from UV light.  If you want them to last as long as possible, then get tire covers and put them on every time your parked for more that a day!  Michelin is not going to pay you, your not driving a car...your covered in the same manner as a OTR truck is (Over the road)!

Look at your DOT number on your tires, post it here please. 

Carl

Hi Carl - I am well aware of RV tires aging out before tread wear out.  I know it's time for new tires, I am researching options now - that's why I started this thread... 

And, Michelin does have a known sidewall cracking issue, that they have extended some out of normal warranty coverage to some folks.

thx

Vince

Vince,

Just to add my two cents here. As you are aware of cracking can be deceiving. When examining tires not only look at the side walls but between the treads. The side wall can look as if they are fresh out of the dealer but have significant cracking between the treads.

Herman  

Bill, your right, but it depends upon other factors.  Especially if you have a big rig.  Rim size vs tire does matter.

So, am I the only one who can't get replacement tires in my size?  I have 295 80 r22.5 and can only find this size at Michelin.  I would like to look at another brand, but can't find any 22.5, and I am not buying new rims.  I guess I just need to pay $650 per tire.

I picked up literature at the Continental Tire display at the FMCA Convention in Chandler this week.

I am holding in my hand a sheet on the HSR2 SA. It DOES show 295/80R22.5. You are correct, it does not show on the FMCA/Continental website. The guys from Continental said they would do some fine tuning of the website listings when they get back to from the Convention.

BFgoodrich makes them in that size they are about $150 less a tire and BFG is a Michelin company.

I am changing our coach from that size to 12R22.5 much easier to find and a whole lot less $$$$

The only part that stinks is I am doing all 6 at once :wacko:.

If I change to a smaller size, I have to get rims for all the tires.  I looked on the BF goodrich site and couldn't find that tire size listed. I also tried Tire Rack.

Again, Continental DOES have that size-- I am holding their sales piece showing that size that I picked up 3 days ago at their booth at the FMCA Convention in Chandler. 

Contact them on Monday.

Metric tires tend to be easier to find so I am not sure your desire to move to (my tire) 12R 22.5 is going to be your best option.  I have them, I live with them but when I try to replace them it's usually quite a struggle.  If I had the money I would change out the wheels and put the somewhat larger metric tires and be done with my 12R 22.5 problems.

When I go to replace my tires I'm going back to what mine have on it now. I bought my 2002 Monaco used. It has Bridgestones that are seven years old. No cracks anywhere including the tread. As it's a desert vehicle I've never seen tires that look so good out here.

Bill, when you work around the trucking industry as Joe does, 12X22.5 are much easier to find. I also use 12X22.5 on my coach and I can find them around B'ham pretty easily.