vsheetz

Continental Tire Purchase Program Status?

The 12R is the closest that will fit on a wheel designed for the 295. I would have preferred the 315 but my wheels are too narrow as the 315 is a wider tire.

Joe.  Now you tell me!  In July of 2014, I replaced my 2 steer tires, 295's with 315's and in August 2014, all 6 others with new 295's...my ride is great and I only have 19,000+ miles on the 295's and 21,767 on the steer tires! :o:lol:

Replacing the tires on a dual wheel axle with wider tires can be a serious safety issue.  The tire/wheel spacing is already close and if the wider tires are able to touch from time to time when hitting bumps and uneven payment it can lead to early and disastrous results.

My coach was originally designed for 315 steers and 295 drive/tag.  The previous owner installed 12R on the drive and they're hitting their 7 year time frame this year.  I plan on replacing them with 295s.  Is there ANY reason to go with 12Rs again?  I haven't checked availability yet, but I do have a local truck stop that deals with Continental (haven't done much research yet).

Sorry, might not have been clear....the steer tires are new (Mich 315/80s) ... it's the drive/tags that are showing the years and they're  Mich 12Rs.  

Manholt Carl, whom ever installed them should have measured your wheel width prior to the installation, some manufactures run a wider wheel than others, mine are not.

CarlAda, the 295/80R22.5 is a miserable tire to locate and only a few manufactures even make that size, with that being said most do not stock it. Since its primary function is RV/Coach and availability is tough....up goes the pricing. The 12R was the closest tire to the 295/80 my Michelin Rep could match up that would fit my wheel, the 315/80 would have been a better fit on height and width however I wasn't sold also due to the fact the 318/80 is 13.9 lbs heavier than the 12R and 12.9 lbs heavier than the 295/80.

If you have even been involved with a fuel economy study as I have Rotational Mass plays a huge part on fuel economy, the heavier the wheel and tire the harder the coach will labor to push it which equals less MPG. Especially on a heavy coach with a smaller engine. I also stumbled across aluminum wheels for my inner rear duals, to shed some more weight off of the rotational mass calculation.

Size Difference; the 12R is .5" narrower and 1.1" taller than the 295/80R22.5

Cost difference; $127.09 cheaper per tire for the 12R vs the 295/80

Weight difference; 13.9 lbs lighter than the 315/80 and 1lb lighter than the 295/80 (1lb no big deal but 13.9 is a big deal)

Keep in mind my coach has the wrong drive tires on it now, so no matter what the 12R is wider and taller than my current drive tire, much better fit than the tires I have now on the drives which is 1.5" narrower than the 12R and 2.2" shorter :o. If you look at my avatar you can clearly see my coach sits high in the front at this time.