bdensford

Battery Disconnects

I installed a physical disconnect device on the ground side of our deep cycle camper batteries.  The purpose is to avoid over charging at our own lot where we have 50 amp shorepower.  When we pull the lever at the battery location to open the circuit, DC power seems to start out okay then gets dim and 12 volt appliances start acting improperly.  Where is the problem?

Check voltage with a digital voltmeter from  both sides of the battery disconnect switch to positive terminal of battery.

Compare with reading from battery positive to negative terminal.

I had the same problem with a blade type disconnect switch. Check as Brett said, but that same check didn't reveal the problem unless under load. I changed to a 200 amp air conditioner quick disconnect made for AC voltage but has worked well for me for several years.

14 minutes ago, manholt said:

Brett, speaking of boats, I know you'll be in AZ. But when will you sail the ocean blue again?

Carl

Carl,

We are seriously considering selling the coach and going back to the sailboat (The sailboat is lonely just sitting in Kemah and remembers several great trips to the Bahamas). 

Will probably list the coach for sale right after the FMCA Chandler.

Should be a quick sale-- as you would suspect, it is in extremely good condition. With our last two coaches, had people standing in line when we sold them.

Brett.  Will defiantly miss you.  But I totally understand.  The Ocean and Islands is a 180 degrees from RV'g... why I'm still looking for another 42 foot cat.  BVI is my favorite, especially Antiqua !  Used to be Caymans...still have 2 condos there, on vacation rental program in the yacht basin. Getting time to sell.

You keeping house?  I'm not.

Carl