rfsod48

Wireless Backup Camera

I need to replace my backup camera system, it is not working and I would like to go to color. Are the new wireless systems a good choice or would I be better off staying with a wired system?

I would stay with a wired system. I went with two different wireless systems, too far from the rear of the coach to the front to keep good picture with either system. As long as the motor was not running with either one all seemed well, but when the motor was running there was too much interference to have a good clear picture continuously. This was true on the old Cross Country 34 ft. pusher and on the 41 ft. MCI.

I used a relatively cheap wired last on the Bus, and it works perfectly. Bill Adams posted a system not long ago on the forum that can be modified to work with your current wire, I would look that one up.

Stay with a wired system and call Tim at RVCams. 

http://www.rvcams.com/

(877)378-2267

Tim set me up with a color monitor and camera which worked with my wiring and I love it.  He did the same for Bill Adams.

You can order directly from their website but I would advise talking to Tim.  You can tell him what you have now and he can give you several options.  And if you have a problem setting it up, he can walk you through it.

I called Tim as well at RV Cams.  He will likely be able to set you up with a wired system that will work with your existing wiring.  My system is over 25 years old but he was able to walk me through the installation with excellent written instructions.  I have never heard of anyone who did not get some kind of interference with their wireless system from time to time.

I installed a wireless system and it has worked flawlessly, no interference.  I didn't want to mess with wires and cables.  

Totally agree on calling Tim at RV.cams FIRST.  While you may be able to use a wireless system, if Tim can direct you to adapters that will allow you to use the existing wiring in the coach and just replace the camera and monitor, that is a lot better.

That is exactly what I did-- used existing wiring and just replaced the camera and monitor on our last coach.

Did you use the old wires? My monitor is in my dash, I have had the dash apart and I can remove the monitor but not being very electrically inclined how difficult is the hookup?

Yes, used existing wiring.  Got adapters for each end per Tim's recommendation.

Call him with exactly what system and coach you have.

Certainly the place to start!

Mine also used the existing wiring.  Just solder (or butt crimps) the wires from the new system to the old with the instructions from Tim and you are in business.