johntelling

Glazed Brakes

I have been told by an RV service place that the brakes on my coach (2005 Fleetwood Excursion, Spartan chassis, 350 Cat) are glazed. It seems to take a while to stop, and needs quite a bit of foot pressure to hold it at a stop light, but I don't have much to compare it with.

What is the best way to deglaze them? I have heard that repeated hard stops from about 45 mph works, but it sounds a bit brutal.

Do I need to have the discs and drums turned? 

Thanks,

JT

Wow, have have not heard that term since the 70"s.  I hope someone with more current information will come along as my first impression is the service center is looking to make some extra money from you!  I hope someone comes along and explains why I am wrong!

JT,

Yes, to deglaze brakes (which can happen if the exhaust brake is used and service brakes are not use, except lightly) is to apply them firmly (not lock-up, but firmly) a couple of times. 

If that doesn't work, the next step is to pull the drums on drum brakes pads on disk brakes and rough up the shoes/pads and drums/disks with 80 grit sand paper to remove the glaze.

VERY unlikely you need new shoes/pads unless they are oil-soaked (another issue).

Thanks, Brett, I will give that a try. I am quite sure that I have overused the PakBrake to the detriment of the service brakes.

I will have to have a shop take off the wheels and sand the parts if that is needed, and I bet that won't be cheap!

JT

12 minutes ago, johntelling said:

Thanks, Bill. 

You are welcome, I hate to hear about shops trying to do unnecessary work. Why not write a report in RV service reviews.  http://www.rvservicereviews.com/Index.asp

Seldom if ever have I heard of brake problems. But as you say they aren't stopping as well as you would like, I would go and do like Brett said, Do about 5-6 hard stops just using the service brakes. Let us know if that helps your stopping.  

Bill

28 minutes ago, johntelling said:

I will try the hard stop method, but I think I will leave the wife at home and replace any broken dishes before returning!

JT

Probably a good idea. Remember objects in the overhead compartments may shift during flight.:D You don't need to do an all out panic stop, just 85% of one.;)

Bill

I've read that when in areas where the speed is reduced, think towns, to turn off the exhaust brake and just use the service brake and that will help keep the brakes from glazing.

Anyone?

My exhaust brake is on all the time except for slow driving.

2 hours ago, Wayne77590 said:

I've read that when in areas where the speed is reduced, think towns, to turn off the exhaust brake and just use the service brake and that will help keep the brakes from glazing.

Anyone?

My exhaust brake is on all the time except for slow driving.

It will help. The problem comes from light application as when most of the braking comes from the exhaust brake and you just use the service brakes for that last little stopping force. I think as long as you are aware of the issue and use your service brakes occasionally for the main stopping force like at an off ramp or slowing on a hill it should prevent the problem.

Bill

Removing the glaze from the front rotors will require servicing both sides (in-board and out-board sides). Best to use a cordless drill with a lite sanding disc installed and run on slow speed. All your trying to do is remove the black shiny surface. If there are hot spots on the rotors or drums, you will need to have them replaced. 

The drums will have to be done by hand. The easiest way to do this is to pay a professional to resurface the rotors and drums. When removing the glaze off the front pads, I always used a flat piece of 1/2 inch glass to make sure to keep the pads flat. The rear shoes need to be done by hand.

Something else to keep in mind is, if the friction material has been overheated too many times it won't help.

Please keep in mind that this is a safety issue. I retired from the automotive industry 10 years ago, with 53 years of service and performed many brake services on many types of RV's. Feel free to post a response here and I will be more than glad to help as much as possible. I'll leave you my phone number if you send me a Private Message.

Rick Ammerman F442485 

Thanks to all who responded about the possible glazed brakes. I tried the 'hard stop method', and the brakes feel a lot better. I am now not using my Pacbrake around town, and am getting more confident with the chassis brakes.

JT