defrue

FMCA Plates

I received my membership package, it had a couple of small FMCA stickers. Are those the "Plates" that are referred to as part of the package, or should I be expecting plates with my membership number?

defrue,

Welcome to the FMCA Forum and FMCA.

It usually takes a couple of weeks to get your FMCA "eggs", as they have to be custom made.

Speaking of the eggs, mine came in a couple of days ago and I was disappointed to see that they are now flat printed instead of cast like the old eggs I have seen.

I think the only way you can get cast aluminum plates is to have them custom made.  In the early years that was standard, I got mine the summer of 78.

On 2/5/2017 at 9:40 PM, wolfe10 said:

defrue,

Welcome to the FMCA Forum and FMCA.

It usually takes a couple of weeks to get your FMCA "eggs", as they have to be custom made.

While they are certainly "custom made" aren't they made 1,000 at a time.  The numbers aren't custom they are just F400,000, F400,001, F400,002........I know there are a couple of special numbers but for everyone else it would seem that the numbers would just be sitting there on a shelf.

Having been in purchasing and inventory control there are problems of over stocking. That being said, if Dennis could run plates for his inventory.  The set up for each set of plates involves changing one number, sometimes 2. It would be cost effective to start the machine up once and run multiples rather then starting it up for one.

Order in and out same day.

Herman 

RL, check with one of your local builders. They order address plate quite often.  Also check with your city's Purchasing Department.  They order custom plate for parks and buildings.

Herman 

6 hours ago, rlbarkleyii said:

Anyone know where you can get the custom made aluminum plates of old?

The way they are made is with a sand mold filled with molten aluminum.  If you can find a foundry that does sand casting all you need is the pattern.  The pattern is made out of wood. The one foundry that I know of is in Dollywoods craftsmen alley.  I spoke to them and they said they would cast one in aluminum if I brought in the pattern.

I took my plaque to Fast Signs. They took a picture of it. They then made decals I had one made to mount on the inside of the windshield anothr one to go on the rear of the coach. I also several smaller ones made to go on the golf cart and my truck. I don't remember the cost but I know it all was less than  $50.00.

Herman 

I have one beat up original hanging in garage.  4 digits from 1967.  My new # 342xxx is in hard plastic!  Nothing stays the same and sometimes that is a shame!

sharianfl,

Welcome to FMCA and to the Forum.

Give a call to the office in Cincinnati (8:00 AM to 5:00 PM EST) and ask for membership. They will follow up for you.

800-543-3622

Herman

On 6/17/2017 at 4:34 PM, desertdeals69 said:

The way they are made is with a sand mold filled with molten aluminum.  If you can find a foundry that does sand casting all you need is the pattern.  The pattern is made out of wood. The one foundry that I know of is in Dollywoods craftsmen alley.  I spoke to them and they said they would cast one in aluminum if I brought in the pattern.

Has anyone found or purchased the pattern and had the "old style'" plates made?  Looking for a phone number and/or website.

The last time FMCA was in Gillette, we picked got an FMCA decal made by Simply Etched Stickers, now using the name Graphics on the Road.  That was in 2013, still looks great!  I put it on the front of the coach, above the windshield on the passenger side.  I'm using the second egg on the ladder on the rear as the paint(ink) on the first one has faded.  The cost was reasonable and they made them on-site.  You could order one or two and not use the physical plate.  I think they look much better than the traditional plate.

This company also does all the fancy window decoration decals.  Good people with a good product.

Marty.  Welcome to the Forum & FMCA!

Problem with the original aluminum plate, with time they get pitted and faded.  If you have a S or GS on your F#, then I would have an original made.  The pattern is the Egg you have now!

I just had a set of the molded style plates made. Follow the link on the FMCA website and order them directly from the molding company. They are molded from plastic - black with white lettering - and they look much nicer than the flat ones. They were not that expensive, but I don't remember how much since we also ordered a set of decals for our destination board.

8 hours ago, richard5933 said:

I just had a set of the molded style plates made. Follow the link on the FMCA website and order them directly from the molding company. They are molded from plastic - black with white lettering - and they look much nicer than the flat ones. They were not that expensive, but I don't remember how much since we also ordered a set of decals for our destination board.

Could someone please post the link.  Looked at the FMCA home page and in the FMCA store.  Darn, cannot find it!!

Marty.  Look up on this page, a reply by Desertdeals69....he makes mention of a Foundry, named Dollywood's craftsman's ally.

9 hours ago, manholt said:

Richard.  Marty wants a aluminum goose egg....kiley don't do that too my knowledge.

Correct. That's why I pointed out that the ones I got were molded plastic. That said, they look 100% better than the flat ones being sent to new members. Also, they won't suffer the pitting and discoloration of aluminum. In the research I did they were the best looking option available at a reasonable price. If someone want the vintage aluminum ones for a vintage vehicle or something, then they'll probably have to have one custom made.