rfsod48

Water Pump

What is the best practice for turning the water pump on? When hooked up to city water do you need the water pump or should it be turned off? I think it isn't necessary when hooked up but don't know if you harm the pump by leaving it on. 

Thanks,

Roland

No harm either way.

When on shore water, with the pump on, the only time the pump will come on is if pressure drops below cut-in PSI.

We usually turn ours off when on city water, but then again we also often forget.

Not an issue either way as far as I can tell.

I leave the pumps on at all times.  It may just be the way my coach is plumbed (2 water pumps) but I always get better flow and pressure with a combination of city water and water from my holding tanks via the pumps.  I like to have all of the water I can get when I am hooked up.  Just don't forget that you will be using water from the holding tank anytime the pumps kick in so you will need to fill that fresh water tank from time to time.

And there is no downside to using that water!  Just fill it up again as necessary.  That's what the water connection is there for.

5 minutes ago, BillAdams said:

And there is no downside to using that water!  Just fill it up again as necessary.  That's what the water connection is there for.

I agree as long as you know it will do that.;) The first time I realised my coach did that I ended up with a almost empty tank when I thought I had a 1/2 tank. :( 

Bill

I like the fact that the water in the holding tank stays fresher that way also. When parked at a campground that has good water, "some have better smelling than others", I will turn off the pump at night because my DW thinks the sound will annoy the neighbors, then turn off the cg water by day and use only out of holding tank by day. I have two pumps like Bill Adams in the coach for the extra pressure, also if one fails the other one is there.

We have been to many places that have low water pressure, when I encounter this I fill the fresh tank and leave the city water connected. When someone is showering I flip the pump switch to ON for more pressure, works every time!