All,

Starting to document this process for anyone that is considering swapping out their Norcold 1200 for a residential.  I've gotten some feedback from several others that the Samsung models may fit but they no longer offer the model that was a perfect swap for the Norcold.  We were also limited on space to get the refrigerator in the hole without removing walls.  So, there are no other companies that offer a model with the correct size.  However, after extensive search, I was able to find a Fisher & Paykel unit that will work with minimum mods.  This swap out is above my paygrade so credit goes to Action RV in Conroe, TX.  They are letting me be involved as much as I want.

For the junk pile - Norcold 1200

Residential to replace - Fisher & Paykel. 16.9 cu. ft.

Looking into stacking a stand alone true sine wave inverter to accommodate or replacing existing 2,000w modified inverter.

image1 (1).JPG

Fisher Paykel Frig.png.jpg

Samsung still offer RF 18 model in the shallow counter version that should replace you Norcold 1200. On modifications required go increase height by about 1.5".

I made the swap last year, only draws 1 amp at 120  v AC which equated to approx 10 amps at 12  v DC. and works fine on modified since wave inverter.

Jim

rfsod48......engineers at Fisher & Paykel haven't tested it on modified sine wave.  They are 80% certain it will be fine.  My luck is that I'll fall into the 20% category which usually happens with me.  Then I'm out the $$'s, and perhaps a broken frig and would still have to get an inverter.  I run 4 - 12v deep cycle for house batteries.

Jim.....Thanks.....looked at that one but I have a furnace under the fridge hole and can only get a max height of 67.75" tall even by modifying the cabinet.  The RF18 is 70.87" tall.

Blake

Blake, 

Just checked my RF 18. It measure 69 3/8 inches. Sorry, still too tall. Check Lowe's and see if they have a RF 16. Not sure if Samsung makes a 16 c.f. unit.

Herman 

I was lucky on mine the area below had some plumbing, bit I was able to lower it enough to get the required height. My wife is really enjoying the new residential refrigerator.

Jim

Thank you for checking Herman.  I just checked Home Depot and Lowe's and didn't see a 16 cu. ft. model.  Trying to log onto Samsung's official site but it's not coming up now.  Will check in a bit.

Jim...we're going to have to move a few things around to lower the fridge base too.  Wish we could get that added couple inches.  Nevertheless, getting a residential in there is going to be sweet!  No more worries of the coach going up in flames and cold beer when I stop for the night!  Now, Deb puts a couple beers in the freezer about half an hour before we stop.

Blake

15 minutes ago, dmtransportllc said:

One Windshield was removed to install our Samsung.

This one will fit through the driver's side window.  Welcome to the forum!

Blake

I took our Samsung RF-18 through the door of our Dynasty. But let me clarify that. I had cut back the TV cabinet in the past and that gave an additional 7". I removed the passenger seat. Then I removed the RF-18s doors and hindges. Then I got a case of Miller Lite and got my 3 sons to do the grunt work.  Grunt work first ML second. 

Herman 

I got the RF-19 Samsung thru the door on my HR Endeavor 40'.  I only had to remove the screen door, driver and passenger seats and the doors from the new refrigerator to get in the coach.  These new refrigerators are really light compared to the old ones.

Jim

When installing a residential fridge in a coach, nearly always the fridge has to be laid down on side or back, be sure that you leave it off for 24 hours after sitting it upright. Oil in the system needs to return to the proper location to avoid damage to the compressor.

Blake, congratulation's with your upgrade! Your wife will ask you repeatability the first year why this wasn't done before, mine did, 3 years later still comments on how much she loves it. Between the Residential refrigerator in this coach and the Tank less HW heater in the last one, those were the two best upgrades we could have ever done to either coach. 

Watch out for the frozen ice cream you can keep now. A wise man once said "be careful, the weight you removed from the refrigerator might relocate to the drivers seat" :lol:.

Thanks Herman....I still laugh about that!

Kay...great tip.  Will do!  Thanks.

Joe....thanks....we're pretty excited about this upgrade.  Maybe me more so than Deb just from a safety & cold beverage perspective.  Uh oh....will have to keep an eye out on the ice cream.  I guess gallon containers are gonna fit now.

Will keep you all posted.

Blake

1 hour ago, kaypsmith said:

My ice cream stays so hard in the residential fridge that I put it in the microwave 15 seconds to make scooping possible.:o

See if you had kept your old fridge you could just take it out and pour it in the bowl.;)

Save wear and tear on the microwave.

Bill

Hahaha Bill......that's the way our NoCold operated!  Freezer was a good way to thaw out food.  Wonder if I'll get my $1.97 for the class action suit against Norcold?

Blake

This coach never had a "Noncold":wub:in it. The old Cross Country Sportscoach did. I was determined when I built this coach to have the best of the best, with the most usable room, no slides to have to wonder if they would work this time or not, and no worries about delamination, or leaking rubber roof.

What does cost to dispose of the old  Norcold, anyone need some cheap parts. I'm want it out of my shop.

Jim

Our landfill charges ten dollars for a pickup load, they have workers there that disassemble "things" that come into the dump for recycling purposes.

When I pulled our no cool out it sat by the sink. I asked my self will ever need this thing. No! So after removing the doors, which I still have, I cut it into small pieces and threw them out the door. (The DW did have to vacuum)

Herman 

I gave ours to my neighbor, he make scrap yard runs often. Threw the doors in the trash. Thought about shooting it a few times, figured that wouldn't go over well with the other neighbors.