pcowen

Central Vacuum

Dear members,

I am looking at installing a central Vacuum system in my 2014 35k Bounder.  First what are your thoughts on central Vacuum systems? Are they worth  while?  Did you do the install yourself? If yes on install did you mount Vacuum unit horizontally or vertically?  In an outside compartment or internal cabinet?  Leaning toward dirt devil 1500 but open to experience with other brands?  Please let me know your thoughts.  Thanks in advance. 

If your wife wants one install it.;) We have a Bissel sweeper that does a good job when on the road and use the Hoover upright for deep cleaning when home. You still need to find a place to store the hose and attachments with a built in.

Bill

I'm with Bill, a good small vacuum in the coach is hard to beat, instead of all that hose and attachments that is necessary with a central vac. Although if I were to install one, it would be in a basement compartment, cabinet space inside is too valuable.:rolleyes:

Our coach came with a Dirt Devil installed from the factory. I used it once and put the attachments in the house and forgot about it. I sounded like a great idea and here is what I didn't like. The hose, dragging it around the interior, it was scratching the wood, it gets caught on stuff and I wasn't impressed with the suction. Empting and replacing the bags are messy and can get expensive vs. the modern bag less vacuums.

My wife went shopping on Black Friday a few years ago and bought a Dyson portable, picked it up for less than 1/2 price. I mounted the charger in the coach next to an outlet and it resides in there. To finish the removal of the central system is on my list of things to do this year. Ours is inside under the refrigerator in its own compartment, I can use that space for other stuff once its gone.

The central vac systems simply don't have the suction that an upright has.  If you are all wood or vinyl this might not make much difference but if you plan to vacuum carpet I suggest a good standard vacuum.  We discovered the Shark Rocket plugged vacuum and I have never seen a unit that works as well.  That includes the Dyson we replaced with the Rocket.

If you do go with a central vac, pay attention to where it exhausts.  The filter bag does not catch all the dust and that dust has to go somewhere.

We have had a dirt devel bagless with a hepa filter upright in the last 3 coaches it will suck the hairs off a dog and the proof is in it each time we use it handle collapses doesn't take up much room DW loves it

Our coach came with a Dirt Devil installed.  It is "ok," not as good as the one at home, but "ok" for the MH.  Tools are stored in one drawer in the bedroom.  If we were building a coach, I would not order one.

Like FIVE and Joe.  Mine has one built in.  Don't like it and got a Dyson Stick...Love it.  When not in use it just hangs in the closet on the charger.  I also like that the head comes off and with attachments I can do the jeep interior.

Carl

Kay. Hydraulic fluid from a Jack line!  Bring on the Dawn Blue!:P  Actually, last time one went, I used Palmolive...just as good as Dawn! :D