pcowen

Chicago to Grand Canyon

Question

Heading west in March.  Driving 2014 Bounder (F-53 chassie) and towing a CRV.  Based on my research if I stay on I40 west (out of Oklahoma City) I will hit some elevations but nothing serious.  Haven't done this drive since my family ventured out west in a 1974 in a 22' Superior coach so I recall some grades around Flagstaff, otherwise hoping it relatively "flatland" driving.  Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.  

4 answers to this question

4 minutes ago, pcowen said:

Heading west in March.  Driving 2014 Bounder (F-53 chassie) and towing a CRV.  Based on my research if I stay on I40 west (out of Oklahoma City) I will hit some elevations but nothing serious.  Haven't done this drive since my family ventured out west in a 1974 in a 22' Superior coach so I recall some grades around Flagstaff, otherwise hoping it relatively "flatland" driving.  Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.  

Not a problem. Drove it this summer. Where are you staying? Where are you stopping?

Bill

Bill;

Picking up wife and daughter in Albuquerque. Heading to Petrified Forest, then some sights near Flaggstaff.  Onto Grand Canyon for three nights then monument valley for three nights.  Dropping my family back in Albuquerque and working my way home.  We tow so we will be mobile.

Figuring 3 to 4 days to New Mexico them high tailing it home.

Regards,

Phil

13 minutes ago, pcowen said:

Bill;

Picking up wife and daughter in Albuquerque. Heading to Petrified Forest, then some sights near Flaggstaff.  Onto Grand Canyon for three nights then monument valley for three nights.  Dropping my family back in Albuquerque and working my way home.  We tow so we will be mobile.

Figuring 3 to 4 days to New Mexico them high tailing it home.

Regards,

Phil

Phil, Call Trailer Village RV Park, Grand Canyon National Park, 100 Trailer Village Rd, Grand Canyon Village, AZ 86023,Located in: Grand Canyon National Park, visitgrandcanyon.com, (928) 638-1006 Call tomorrow and make reservations. This will simplify your trip to the canyon. They have shuttle busses that take you around for free and they pick you up in the RV park.They take you places you can't  drive your toad.

Now here are a few of the places we stayed in that part of the world.

Overnite RV Park, 900 S Lakeside Dr, Amarillo, TX 79118, overnitervpark.com, (806) 373-1431

Just past Cadillac Ranch the famous “art” instillation. Ove the half berried Cadillac’s.https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cadillac_Ranch

Oasis RV Resort, 2715 Arnot Rd, Amarillo, TX 79124, myrvoasis.com, (806) 356-8408

Just incase you might make a side trip to Santa Fe. 

Santa Fe Skies RV Park, 14 Browncastle Ranch, Santa Fe, NM 87508, santafeskiesrvpark.com, (505) 473-5946

We have stayed at several places in Albuquerque but like this one. He has a great collection of vintage RVs.

Enchanted Trails RV Park & Trading Post, 14305 Central Ave NW, Albuquerque, NM 87121

enchantedtrails.com, (505) 831-6317

Heare is my favorit restarant in Albuquerque.   https://www.churchstreetcafe.com/

Just a note this place (Sun Valley) on old HI way 66 (just off I-40) was just a short stay so we could do the Petrified Forest National Park. The people are trying hard but it is a little rough. Narrow sites but utility’s worked.

SUN VALLEY RV RESORT, 86029, 7625 Quartzsite St, Holbrook, AZ 86025, sunvalleyrvresort.com

(928) 524-2972

Fender's River Road Resort & Motel, 3396 Needles Hwy, Needles, CA 92363, fendersresort.com, (760) 326-3423. Don’t let them put you down the hill by the river. Not the greatest but ok for overnight.

Are you taking highway 64 out of the grand Canyon area to go to Monument Valley? 

Sun Valley and Fenders were basically for overnight. They arn't fancy but worked. 

Bill

pcowan,

Wow, you are gonna have fun!  We love the Grand Canyon and all points around there!  Don't worry about the grades.  Your coach should be fine if you just watch your speed, rpms and temperature.  For me, most important thing to watch is weather.  Winds can be pretty furious in OK, TX, NM and Arizona.  And, weather in March may bring you snow in the higher elevations around Williams.

We frequent the trip out west often and much more prefer I-40 over the southern route of I-10.  But when weather is an issue we take I-10.

Have you considered Carlsbad Caverns?

Blake